C&C traveler rebuild/replace - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By olson34

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-23-2017 Thread Starter

C&C traveler rebuild/replace

I am new to sailing and racing has caused our traveler to fail only after 5-6 races.
It's a 1980 C&C 34 original equipment and the bushings in the traveler have gotten so sloppy that I need to either rebuild or replace.
Rebuilding would be my choice, replace the bushings with sealed bearings.
The bushing posts do seem pretty primitive and make me question if replacing with real bearings is even possible.

Any and all advice is welcome.
Dwight CM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-23-2017

Re: C&C traveler rebuild/replace

Once you have your boat's measurements in hand for a replacement, check with Garhauer.
Good people and their prices are very fair.
Faster likes this.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
The Following User Says Thank You to olson34 For This Useful Post:
Aircraft (10-23-2017)
post #3 of 10 Old 10-23-2017

Yes to the above..

In the meantime you need to identify the traveler brand and size.. C&C didn't make them themselves, I don't think. And after 37 years someone may have already changed it out.

Garhauer makes pretty good, if not svelte, gear, but it's hard to argue with Harken's smooth operation. It comes at a price....

btw.. the technical website page is for forum issues.. I've moved your threads to the more appropriate 'gear and maintenance' section

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 10-23-2017 at 09:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
Aircraft (10-23-2017)

post #4 of 10 Old 10-23-2017

Harken was very easy to work with. I had them bend the big car series track to fit the curve on my traveler mounts. 20 years and still going strong, mostly offshore work. Smooth operation. Just flush the car and track with fresh water once in awhile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-23-2017

If you can identify the original manufacturer, you may be able to replace the car. Chances are it's either Harken or Schaefer. My 1985 vintage Schaefer car had an issue a few years ago, and I was able to find parts to rebuild it. Much less expensive and much less work than replacing the whole traveller system. One thing I found out was that over the years Schaefer changed the width of their traveller tracks and thus the current cars didn't work with my old track.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #6 of 10 Old 10-24-2017

Nicro-Fico was also a major supplier of travellers back in the day. Unfortunately long out of business so won't be any help. Haunt Ebay, believe I've seen NOS cars up for auction recently. Harkens mid range travellers are really nice with almost no friction and so easily movable under load even with 2-1 purchase controls but pricey though. There have been some complete Harken travellers on Ebay recently but they may have been big boat size which are too large for a 34' boat.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-25-2017
Lake Sailor

I installed a Harken on my First 235. A friend used the Lewmar solution for his First 260. I would go the Lewmar route if I had to do it again. Bolts in track slide so no new holes and very reasonably priced.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-25-2017

Harken also offers that. Have Harken 4' medium track with sliding fasteners that I'll sell at 1/2 retail. It's the tall track so needs to go on a nearly level surface or can be used with risers to bridge obstacles like the companionway hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
I installed a Harken on my First 235. A friend used the Lewmar solution for his First 260. I would go the Lewmar route if I had to do it again. Bolts in track slide so no new holes and very reasonably priced.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-25-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Harken also offers that. Have Harken 4' medium track with sliding fasteners that I'll sell at 1/2 retail. It's the tall track so needs to go on a nearly level surface or can be used with risers to bridge obstacles like the companionway hatch.
I believe the standard C&C 34 setup is a cabintop traveler mounted on an aluminum channel that bridges the hatch.. That track should work for the OP, and would be a good start to an upgrade.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #10 of 10 Old 10-25-2017

I replaced the original traveler on my C&C 35 with a Garhauer system, and am extremely pleased with it. My first thought was to replace the cars, but, as I recall, the standardized size of traveler tracks have changed and I couldn't find replacements that fit the old track properly. I also replaced my winches. Struggling to use the old equipment took much of the pleasure out of sailing the boat. I din't want to spend the money, but it made it a joy to sail the boat again, and I'm glad I did it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in