kiwigrip For 37 foot sailboat - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-15-2017 Thread Starter

kiwigrip For 37 foot sailboat

So how many liters of kiwigrip to redo all the nonskid on my 37 footer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-16-2017
Administrator

Re: kiwigrip For 37 foot sailboat

Here is what PYI who distributes KiwiGrip says:
"Stock Answer: Each liter covers 2 square meters (about 20 square feet). Application is very thick – about 2 to 3 mm (a little less than 1/8 inch). A 4-liter pail will generally be sufficient for a 30 foot sailboat.

Better, though less helpful, answer: It depends. Coverage depends completely on application thickness and on the underlying surface. KiwiGrip offers a "miniature mountain range" texture with myriad peaks and valleys. A thick application (3mm) will offer tall peaks and deep valleys, yielding a very aggressive non-skid. A moderate application (2mm) will afford a more moderate texture, and a thin application will give a gentle result – suitable for cockpit seats.

The plot thickens. If you’re applying over a high-profile, but worn, non-skid, some of your KiwiGrip will sink into the valleys of your current non-skid. Filling these valleys consumes your precious KiwiGrip while offering little in return. This reduces coverage. Here are a few data points and a couple of buying strategies to consider:

A Catalina 30 sailboat will typically need 4 Liters (a Gallon) with no leftovers.
One customer used 5 liters on his 23 foot sailboat – very thick application.

Another application used 10 liters on a 48 foot center-cockpit sailboat to do cabintops, side decks, foredeck and aft deck, but not cockpit. Moderately thin application over smooth surface.

If you’re having trouble deciding how much to buy, consider: (a) Buy too much and return unopened tins for a refund. Your risk is the shipping cost and your local dealer's return policy. (b) Make your best guess and buy more if you need it. Your risk is repeating your setup and cleanup. (c) Same as (a) but keep left-overs for repairs and alterations, or sell to your neighbor who now loves your boat more than his own."
kptmorgan04 and sailforlife like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #3 of 14 Old 11-16-2017

I used one gallon to refinish the decks of my Morgan 33 Out Island and had a little left over for patching, but never needed it.

Gary
sailforlife likes this.

post #4 of 14 Old 11-16-2017

I used about 2 quarts to do my coach roof - 33 foot boat.

All the above replies +

It also depends on the amount of masking you'll do. Some prefer to cover everything to save the masking work, and obviously this uses more paint. Although it is thick, you can control the thickness with the notched trowel before rolling it. But the important factor is to have a good non-skid surface but not too aggressive. More thick = more aggressive.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0361.JPG   DSCN0374.JPG   DSCN0375.JPG   51KFNTtorQL.jpg  
post #5 of 14 Old 11-16-2017 Thread Starter

That looks really good by the way...
post #6 of 14 Old 11-16-2017

An Alberg 30 was Kiwigripped on the cheap at my marina this summer. Looks like absolute crap! There is such a thing as too thin an application. Think they tried to stretch 2 litres to do the entire boat. I watched them work at it for a while. Actually had to loan them a utility knife to cut tape. Come to think of it I never got that Olfa knife back!
They also used Interlux Brightsides on some areas, also looks like crap - wasn't rolled and tipped, just brushed on - full of runs, dead bugs and brush marks.
If you're going to do it, do it right, follow the instructions! Remember painting is 90% prep 10% painting.
Planning on doing my deck this spring, hull was painted last spring. The deck will be a DIY project. 2 part polyurethane on the smooth areas, Kiwigrip over the worn non-skid.
Stripping ALL the deck hardware, masking everything. The poly will go down first on the non skid areas, mask then the KG. Oh Ya it will be primed with 2 part Interlux epoxy primer before anything.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!
post #7 of 14 Old 11-16-2017

No need to prime the Kiwigrip areas - just rough sand it and it will do just fine. I used a 1/8-inch square notched trowel to apply the Kiwigrip, then immediately hit it with the loopy-goopy roller. The job requires some assistance from another person though. That person has to remove the masking tape as soon as you texturize the Kiwigrip. It dries very quickly, and if that masking tape is not removed, it will pull up the edges of the Kiwigrip.

Mine has been down for 4 years now and it has not worn at all. I clean it with Comet cleanser and a stiff bristle scrub brush, which removes all the crud from the rough texture. One thing for certain, it is the best non-skid surface I've come across in 57 years of boat ownership. You WILL NOT slip on this surface!

Good luck,

Gary
sailforlife and BillMoran like this.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-16-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanski View Post
An Alberg 30 was Kiwigripped on the cheap at my marina this summer. Looks like absolute crap! There is such a thing as too thin an application. Think they tried to stretch 2 litres to do the entire boat. I watched them work at it for a while. Actually had to loan them a utility knife to cut tape. Come to think of it I never got that Olfa knife back!
They also used Interlux Brightsides on some areas, also looks like crap - wasn't rolled and tipped, just brushed on - full of runs, dead bugs and brush marks.
If you're going to do it, do it right, follow the instructions! Remember painting is 90% prep 10% painting.
Planning on doing my deck this spring, hull was painted last spring. The deck will be a DIY project. 2 part polyurethane on the smooth areas, Kiwigrip over the worn non-skid.
Stripping ALL the deck hardware, masking everything. The poly will go down first on the non skid areas, mask then the KG. Oh Ya it will be primed with 2 part Interlux epoxy primer before anything.
I would like to make suggestion. I am going through this process on my boat. I am planning to do my boat in three separate sections; cockpit, cabin top and sides, and decks. This fall I stripped all of the hardware and electronics out of my cockpit, primed and painted it and now I am reinstalling the hardware. (Who knew there were 44 pieces of hardware and electronics in my cockpit (and that does not include the binnacle and its braces which I taped around.)

I formerly was a Bightsides, Interlux guy. I had used it for decades. But I found that the Brightsides and the Interlux primers seemed to take a huge number of coats to get good coverage and frankly did not seem to hold up all that well.

Last year, I recored the deck in my cockpit (which is actually the hatch for the liferaft compartment) and painted it. As an experiment I used 'PetitProtect' which is their epoxy primer. It is a much higher build primer than the Interlux and so was able to get by with a single coat. It does not brush out as nicely as the Interlux. Because it is only a single coat, even though it required more sanding per coat, but less sanding overall. (I am experimenting with thinning it slightly and that helps a lot with getting it to flow out.)

I also used Petit's "Easypoxy', which is a single part brushable paint. Petit makes a product that they call a 'Performance Enhanser' that is added to the Easypoxy to improve it sheen, UV protection, hardness, shorten drying time, and improve workability. It only required two coats of the Easypoxy to equal the 3-4 coats of Brightsides that I had been doing. I was very pleased with the ease of working with the Petit, how the finished paintjob came out, and way that the cockpit sole held up.

I have now used for the rest of my cockpit and I am even more pleased with the product, (even if I am less pleased with my workmanship and my decision to apply the final coat when it was supposed to drizzle that night which resulted in a 7 foot job.)

You might want to look into the Petit products.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #9 of 14 Old 11-16-2017

A buddy of mine did his boat with Kiwigrip before going cruising the south Pacific.
By year 2 it was wearing away in several spots and he had to redo it. Since then it is routine touch-up - it wears away quickly if you use your boat often.
Just something to be aware of.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-16-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I would like to make suggestion. I am going through this process on my boat. I am planning to do my boat in three separate sections; cockpit, cabin top and sides, and decks. This fall I stripped all of the hardware and electronics out of my cockpit, primed and painted it and now I am reinstalling the hardware. (Who knew there were 44 pieces of hardware and electronics in my cockpit (and that does not include the binnacle and its braces which I taped around.)

I formerly was a Bightsides, Interlux guy. I had used it for decades. But I found that the Brightsides and the Interlux primers seemed to take a huge number of coats to get good coverage and frankly did not seem to hold up all that well.

Last year, I recored the deck in my cockpit (which is actually the hatch for the liferaft compartment) and painted it. As an experiment I used 'PetitProtect' which is their epoxy primer. It is a much higher build primer than the Interlux and so was able to get by with a single coat. It does not brush out as nicely as the Interlux. Because it is only a single coat, even though it required more sanding per coat, but less sanding overall. (I am experimenting with thinning it slightly and that helps a lot with getting it to flow out.)

I also used Petit's "Easypoxy', which is a single part brushable paint. Petit makes a product that they call a 'Performance Enhanser' that is added to the Easypoxy to improve it sheen, UV protection, hardness, shorten drying time, and improve workability. It only required two coats of the Easypoxy to equal the 3-4 coats of Brightsides that I had been doing. I was very pleased with the ease of working with the Petit, how the finished paintjob came out, and way that the cockpit sole held up.

I have now used for the rest of my cockpit and I am even more pleased with the product, (even if I am less pleased with my workmanship and my decision to apply the final coat when it was supposed to drizzle that night which resulted in a 7 foot job.)

You might want to look into the Petit products.

Jeff
Think Brightsides coverage depends on colour, there was a Mirage painted dark blue with Brightsides this spring, looks amazing with just 2 coats rolled and tipped. I know the red takes coat after coat to get decent coverage. I prefer the 2 part paints, I have the equipment to safely work with it though. Will kill you if you don't! Seriously!

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in