Second Speed Transducer? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-23-2017 Thread Starter

Second Speed Transducer?

I have a spare tranducer for boat speed. It's an Airmar ST 850. My current and waiting to die instruments... B&G Hornet support dual speed.
I experienced a lot of speedo fouling and thought I would install the second speedo and have it clean and ready for "insertion" which I cleaned to fouled one and it was then ready for re insertion.

Here are my questions for members.

Is this more trouble than it's worth.... install a second transducer?

If not where should I install it? The current one is on starboard near the forward edge of the keel. The depth transducer in in the same location but on the port side.

Should I...

Remove the depth and install the 2nd speedo to port in the depth transducer's location (symmetry)? The install the depth forward of the keep accessible from the aft portion of the V berth.

or...

Should I install the new speed transducer on the CL forward of the keel... accessible by lifting the floor board in the V berth... leave the other 2 as they are and keep the stardboard speed transducer as a clean ready to insert spare? Drill one hole.

or....

Should I install the new speed transducer on the CL forward of the keel... accessible by lifting the floor board in the V berth... leave the depth where it is, remove the existing speed transducer and fill in the hole? Drill one hole

or....

move the depth to stbd and use only one speedo where the present depth is on port side? Switch em! Drill no holes. Removing the depth could be a PITA.

Access for service in the V is easy peasy. Access for service of the port location is easy peasy. Access to the starboard location is below a settee and storage which means removing a bunch of things to get at the transducer.... pain in the butt when heeled because I have all the stored stuff to deal with. The stbd side is better for depth which doesn't need any service!

Considerations are:

easiest to service underway (cleaning speed log)
accuracy of speed log
time to make alteration
cost of thru hull and materials

What say you?

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-23-2017

Re: Second Speed Transducer?

Does your current speedo have a valved thru hull that shuts down the geyser when you pull it out? If not, is one available (airmar makes them for many of their models)?

Ours has one and our speedo gets fouled whenever the boat sits for a few days. It is easy and quick to yank it out, clean it, and put it back in.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat
post #3 of 6 Old 11-23-2017 Thread Starter

Mark... Yes I do have that sort of housing. removing, cleaning and re insertion is NOT the issue/problem... it's getting TO it to remove it which involves pulling off cushions, settee bottom, stored boxes / tools...m about 8 of them... and then replacing it all back in the correct order so it fits. Just lifting up a floor board would make cleaning a breeze. It also makes it easier to pull it and store it dry and re insert when we sail. When I leave it a week it's fouled.

I suppose the main reason for doing this project is to make ACCESS easy... second would be performance and accuracy.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-23-2017 Thread Starter

I am thinking of Option 3 and use a flush bronze housing for the speed-log and move it to the old depth location....

Is is difficult to remove the depth housing/thru hull so it can be re installed? I believe it is bronze...

Does anyone know if the FLUSH housing for the speed / log they come with the valve type housing to limit water infusion? I know it comes in plastic non flush... which I have. Would flush be more accurate? I suppose a call to Airmar or their rep would be the way to answer these questions....

post #5 of 6 Old 11-24-2017

How often is the logg sensor getting fouled while boat is mowing?
In my experience fouling happen when the boat is sitting still. Why not take the sensor out to clean regularly?
post #6 of 6 Old 11-24-2017 Thread Starter

Getting at the present location is a bit of a project. If it were more accessible... like a sea ****... I WOULD remove it when moored... The idea is how to make it more ACCESSIBLE and how to get more accuracy ... location and type of housing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in