Spectrum Color Patch Paste - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-30-2017 Thread Starter

Spectrum Color Patch Paste

I recently purchased some Spectrum patch paste to repair some dock rash on my 1982 Rinker v-hull. The gelcoat is in excellent condition and the only scratch is about 4 inches long. The closest color on the web that I could find is a blue color called Donzi Caribbean blue. It turns out the color is too light and needs to be more blue to match the boat. I was thinking about getting Home Depot to color match the boat color and try to mix the pigment into the patch paste I have purchased. Does anyone have any insight into weather this will work? I have only used about 10 percent of the patch paste and do not want to throw it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-30-2017

Re: Spectrum Color Patch Paste

why don't call up spectrum to talk with them?
post #3 of 7 Old 12-02-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
why don't call up spectrum to talk with them?
I have contacted Spectrum customer service about 4 times to try to identify a color close to the boat. I sent a Lowes paint card sample that exactly matched the boat to Spectrum and the only response was they could sell me a gallon of gelcoat (not patch paste) that they could custom mix for $250. They also indicated that patch paste can not be blended with pigment because it will produce swirls. I have also contacted Rinker and I-boats with the hin and neither were able to help identify the color. I have used Home Depot's color matching system in their paint department for other projects and was very pleased with the results. I think I'm going to try Home Depot and see how it goes. I will post the results after I try it.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-02-2017

I see two choices. First, get one of the gelcoat kits with coloring tubes and try to match the color by eye. Not easy with a color like blue. Second, get a can of colormatched gelcoat from one of the gelcoat makers. With some you can send a chip of your gelcoat in and they will match it.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #5 of 7 Old 12-02-2017

Suggest you go to a West Marine and purchase a color matching (small) gelcoat repair kit.
When in direct sunlight, use a glass plate on top of any neutral white material, and 'smear' (with trowel) the base gel repair material on it. Then make a decision on which 'primary color' must be added to the base gel in order to tint it.
Add only very very small amounts of tinting pigment at a time, then 'work' the trowel across the glass into order to completely and thoroughly mix the gel and the pigment.
When close to the hue desired on the glass, scrape some off and apply it to the area that you are repairing .... with NO catalyst added. If very close in hue add catalyst and apply. If not 'very very' close, keep adding very teeny amounts of 'color' until the hue is correct .... work 'up' to the correct hue/tint in small increments - and always thinking 'which is the correct primary color to add'. To remove any uncatalyzed 'test' samples smeared onto the surface to be repaired, simply wipe off with an acetone soaked rag, etc.

The advice for getting a computer matched supply of gelcoat is a good one. However, to do this you usually have to cut out a 3/4" diameter 'plug' from the hull/deck, etc. and send this to the entity that does the computer matching. The additional repair of that 3/4" diameter hole may be bit more than you bargained for ... in comparison to eyeball 'color matching' for a minor scratch.

FWIW: red + green = brown; Blue + yellow = green; red + blue = purple. You can obtain dial-in (hand-rotating) 'color matching cards' from most high quality paint stores and artist suppliers.

Do all the color matching in bright sunlight !!!!!!!

If youre near or over 50 years of age, get some 'young' person to verify the 'hue' before adding catalyst and applying: ....... especially if you've added any 'red', as old folks rapidly lose their ability to see and perceive 'red'.

Last edited by RichH; 12-02-2017 at 12:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:
rkinross (12-02-2017)
post #6 of 7 Old 12-02-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
I see two choices. First, get one of the gelcoat kits with coloring tubes and try to match the color by eye. Not easy with a color like blue. Second, get a can of colormatched gelcoat from one of the gelcoat makers. With some you can send a chip of your gelcoat in and they will match it.
Thanks for your reply. I really like the idea of color match and the patch paste concept rather than a can of gelcoat. Other than Spectrum, do you know of any suppliers that will color match with a product similar to patch paste?
post #7 of 7 Old 12-02-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkinross View Post
Thanks for your reply. I really like the idea of color match and the patch paste concept rather than a can of gelcoat. Other than Spectrum, do you know of any suppliers that will color match with a product similar to patch paste?
When my boat was hit by a boat that dragged in a storm a number of years ago, I had some bad gouges in the topsides repaired. They are an off-white and the contractor took a sample and had it matched perfectly. Not sure who he used. If you Google "custom color gelcoat" you get many hits, some of which require a quarter sized sample for a custom color match, and some that have 100s of colors and will sell or rent a color book to allow you to get the best match

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in