LifeSling - Yea or Nay - Page 2 - SailNet Community
View Poll Results: Do you believe that the LifeSling should be taught to new sailors?
Yes - Instruct new sailors how to use the LifeSling 32 91.43%
No - Do not bother showing new sailors how to use the LifeSling 3 8.57%
What is COB? 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 83 Old 12-03-2017 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Re: LifeSling - Yea or Nay

I try to teach *everything* - in fact, I have been chastised for providing too much information. I even cover the pros and cons of windward AND leeward COB pickups (yes, there are advantages to both). I also cover the LifeSling in 104. But, as I stated I was taken aback when I learned that the guy that runs the current show does not want it covered, and seemed hostile to the idea of using one. Looking at the current poll results (6 - yea / 2 - nay), it seems like some of the folks here are in that camp too.
capecodda likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 83 Old 12-03-2017

My thoughts...

It's always been worthy to know...it's an active solution.

Why somebody would not want it taught is personal....direction from above them, no $s coming to them, closed mind due to.....

There's a reason.

Just keep that as a bullet point to promote when you start your own school...
eherlihy likes this.
post #13 of 83 Old 12-03-2017

Maybe they know West Marine is the sole provider of the equipment and patent?!?!?!? altho other people designed the product, they produce it. My swag with monomy buying WM, they will not own or manufacture the product for too long. They will sell this option for the cash in the process of destroying the company like most folks of this ilk.

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!

post #14 of 83 Old 12-04-2017
dadio917

yea for us but we're in the ocean a bit. We have a life sling plus a completely separate horseshoe/light/flag pole combo with 30' of floating yellow line. Also have one electric winch for the halyards that if we were lucky enough to snag someone who went over with the sling or horseshoe we'd have a hope of dragging them back up. Also use jack lines if its snotty or dark. Don't have personal AIS yet but when we head off to pacific islands next year might spring for them. why not increase the odds? If my wife went over I'd want every chance.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
post #15 of 83 Old 12-04-2017

I have one and it's inside the cockpit lazarrette. I would not try to sail to a person overboard... but furl the sail and let the main halyard go and motor with the swim ladder dropped into the water and a floating line with horseshoe at the end. I would toss everything in the cockpit that floats... PVDs and sea cushions, deploy the MOB pole with attached strobe and horseshoe. I sail 99% of the time with my wife... who does not sail, cannot drive the boat or swim... she is super careful and stays in the cockpit... often wears a PFD when conditions are "fun". I bought the lifesling hype... anyone who wants an old one can have it. Message me.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #16 of 83 Old 12-04-2017 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Maybe they know West Marine is the sole provider of the equipment and patent?!?!?!? altho other people designed the product, they produce it. My swag with monomy buying WM, they will not own or manufacture the product for too long. They will sell this option for the cash in the process of destroying the company like most folks of this ilk.
Are you saying that West Marine is the sole provider of the LifeSling?

[EDIT] I see in the manual that West Marine DOES, in fact, manufacture the LifeSling (more likely it is manufactured under contract for WM).
Quote:
The sole obligation of West Marine shall be the repair or replacement of Lifesling3 and under no circumstances shall West Marine, its agents, of successors, be liable for any direct, consequential or other damages arising out of any claimed defect in the device or the method of its use.
If there were any heartburn with West Marine, then we would have another brand of boat hook, binoculars, dock lines, and a bunch of other stuff. West Marine, and Port Supply, must offer sailing schools a substantial discount, because of the amount of West Marine badged stuff that every school that I have worked for uses.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 12-04-2017 at 08:27 AM.
post #17 of 83 Old 12-04-2017 Thread Starter
Learning the HARD way...

@SanderO - I am in the same boat, so to speak. My wife does not swim, and does not feel comfortable at the helm when sailing (she's awesome at the helm when docking though!). On my boat, I keep the LifeSling on the pushpit because of her. She knows that if I go for an unplanned swim that the first thing that she should do is throw the LS, and the second thing is to start the motor.

post #18 of 83 Old 12-04-2017

Regardless of what the instructors might think of the device, the reality is that it is being carried on a rapidly increasing number of yachts, so people ought to be taught how to use it.

IMO, there's not just one "best" way to recover a COB. The best way is any way that works. It takes more skill to use the figure 8 maneuver than the Lifesling. What could be simpler than deploying the Lifesling and circling the COB? Moreover, the Lifesling could be used in conjunction with the figure 8. For example, if you miss the COB on the first approach using the figure 8 technique, you could use the Lifesling as a throwable device. You might be able to drag it close to the COB and the COB might be able to grasp the line. The lifesling gives you options.
SanderO and CVAT like this.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 12-04-2017 at 09:03 AM.
post #19 of 83 Old 12-04-2017

I'm generally in agreement with the replies so far (which is surprising, I was afraid this might be a anchor/mono-cat type subject!)... I think it can't hurt to have a lot of different options but Lifesling is not my first. Ours now is off the stern rail, lives in a cockpit locker, is there as an aid to lifting someone into the boat only (we don't have a sugar scoop or anything so will need to use a block and tackle off the boom, which we are set up for, to lift someone)... while I can jury rig other options to do that, that's my best bet right now for bringing a person on board who can't help themselves.

I prefer the Dan Buoy inflatable pole to throw out to someone as it will stay with the overboard person while I/we corral the boat and get back to that person... the vision I've always had with the Lifesling is of it skipping along on the water behind us as we leave the person-overboard behind while maneuvering.

Another issue I wonder about with the Lifesling is how good of shape they're in... that floating line degrades in the sun REALLY quickly... everyone points to the bag it's stored in, but the bitter end has to be tied to something solid and I have - literally - broken the bitter end by hand on a boat where it had been sitting out in the sun for years... so not much good there unless you've managed to grab the line as it's feeding out and snub a solid piece of it onto a cleat before it gets to the rotten end.

I will admit I haven't practiced throwing the Lifesling much, but I have practice with seat cushions and I can't throw those very far at all, especially not with any breeze at all. I wonder how far you can really throw the sling if you try to use it that way instead of towed? For a throwable rescue I much prefer whitewater throw bags:
https://www.nrs.com/product/1825/nrs...scue-throw-bag
... you can throw a bag of rope a lot further than a Lifesling or seat cushion (although still challenging into the wind, and requires practice / familiarity).

-- Bass
SanderO likes this.

Hailey, Idaho & Bellingham, WA
Sailing blog:
post #20 of 83 Old 12-04-2017

The strategy for getting a MOB ... OB varies depending on the boat. Sugar scoop is fine if the person can get back... up... Same with our swim ladder... it's folding and when dropped you can pretty easily climb on board. I don't need to hoist someone with the boom... but the Garhaurer lifting crane for the OB is ready at the pushpit too. Lifesling will remain in the lazerette until someone claims it. I would only deploy it as flotation.. but but expect the line to be in OK... and it's not mounted nor tied off either. Quick stop, drop sails, engine on... don't take your eyes of the MOB and toss everything that floats at them... including floating heaving line.. No I will not do LS drills. nor go to LS university.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in