Winterizing Standing riggging? - SailNet Community
 6Likes
  • 6 Post By RichH

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-05-2017 Thread Starter

Winterizing Standing riggging?

Hi

I recently read, it is suggested to loosen the standing rigging for the winter and then re-tune in the spring. Now this contradicts another article I read on metal fatigue, that stated loose and then stressed steal cable will increase the rate of fatigue on rigging and shorten their life and a constant tension is best. This article was referencing the proper tension on the rigging is important and a poorly tune rig, one that the lee shrouds slacken and then come under tension when to windward, is bad. The first article is more about relieving tension over the winter.

Can anyone expand on this or have any thoughts?

Thanks
chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-05-2017
Lake Sailor

Re: Winterizing Standing riggging?

Can you post a link to the article? My boats rig does the lee slack all the time and I have mine tuned to the specs of the manufacturer. How are the lee shrouds supposed to stay in tension anyway? They are not under load.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-05-2017 Thread Starter

At the moment I cant. It was a mental note and i dont know the source right off hand. My guess is I read it in Practical Sailor in the past year but I also subscribe to Sail and World Cruiser as well, but then again I read a lot of books and online articles so that needle is in one of those haystacks. Ill look around to see what I can find.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-05-2017

Hopefully this will point you in the right direction .....

Sailboats typically have aluminum masts and stainless steel rigging.
Such metals expand and contract upon changing temperatures. Aluminum has a higher rate of expansion/contraction due to temperature changes than does stainless steel. In wintertime the Aluminum will contract faster than stainless steel .... the 'shrinking' aluminum mast will unload tension in the rigging.

Fatigue ....
Common (300 series) stainless steel has a fatigue endurance limit of approx 30,000 psi, it also 'can' have a yield strength (permanently changes dimensions) at approx the same 30,000 psi (equivalent to approx. 30% rig tension!!). This is for common stainless steels; 300 series stainless steel can have 'better' values based on 'heat treatment and other metal forming processes'

Fatigue in 300 series stainless 'starts' to become a serious problem when the fatigue endurance limit (~30,000 psi) is repetitively (cyclically) exceeded -- usually at greater than ~1 million load cycles at greater than the fatigue endurance limit (~30,000 psi), at which time there's a high probability that such a 'part' will simply fall apart/shatter from the accumulated fatigue.

So, with your wintertime mast shrinking faster than the stainless rigging, which unloads the rigging; the normal (summertime) ~15% tension in rigging becoming less as it and the mast gets colder; the rigging tension remaining well under the fatigue endurance limit of 30% of ultimate tensile .... there's damn little potential for fatigue in your rigging during wintertime .....
...... unless your boat is heeled over to greater than about 45++ during during a 'blow' in excess of ~Cat 5 and/or any 'gusts' causes extreme mast vibration that would add up to ~1 million load cycles that exceed that 30% tensile strength ....

... the 'real' answer is:
If the rig didn't have severe oscillations from the wind in summertime, it will probably have LESS potential for vibratory oscillations when the rig relaxes during the winter.
You dont need to do 'anything' with the rigging for wintertime, it automatically unloads itself.

;-)

Last edited by RichH; 12-05-2017 at 05:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:
Chris Arias (12-06-2017)
post #5 of 7 Old 12-05-2017

For the boat with slack lee shrouds, look for flex in the boat. The mast step is the first place I would look, if it is compressing under load you have a mast that is effectively getting shorter under load and no amount of rig adjusting can overcome that.
If it's not the mast step look at everything else that holds the rig up.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-06-2017

I wonder if the issue here is not the rigging, but the sustained force applied to the hull. This is a factor on some light boats.

Heck, I release tension every time I finish sailing, but that is an extreme case and the boat is built for it. But it is certainly not a fatigue issue; the loads are too low at the dock.

I would have some concerns regarding galling the screws by doing this frequently. Hopefully the turnbuckles are bronze (most are, either chromed or with bronze inserts) and lubing EVERY TIME with Tefgel.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #7 of 7 Old 12-08-2017
Lake Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norahsark1 View Post
For the boat with slack lee shrouds, look for flex in the boat. The mast step is the first place I would look, if it is compressing under load you have a mast that is effectively getting shorter under load and no amount of rig adjusting can overcome that.
If it's not the mast step look at everything else that holds the rig up.
While that could be an issue, it is rarely the case. As in this tip from Sailing World on maintaining boat speed; "No. 4 Every boat has its optimal rig tension. Find out what it is and maintain it. Most boats sail best with the rig just tight enough so that the leeward shroud starts to go slack when it's blowing 10 to 12 knots."

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in