Sailor

Re: Laundry on a Small Sailboat

Go when its hot out you will need a lot less clothes
post #23 of 33 Old 12-07-2017
Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
A free, five gallon bucket works just fine, and you can even mount a pendulum agitator through the lid, which is activated by the motion of the boat. No scrubbing, no work at all, the bucket of water and pendulum does it all for you, while you have fun cruising.

All the best,

Gary
Buckets are getting pricey Yeti is selling one for 40 dollars

post #24 of 33 Old 12-07-2017

Yeti's prices are insane! I don't know about you, but I would never pay $29 for an insulated coffee mug.

Gary
post #25 of 33 Old 12-08-2017

Few thoughts.

I've read stories about the EcoWash leaking, after a few uses. Never used one, but check that out to see iirc.

I've done my fair share of camp washing. Sinks on a sailboat, streams on a hike, etc. Personally, I've never gotten anything all that clean, by trying to adapt a shore concept to the wilderness.

I've heard of folks using ammonia in a bucket that claim it's the way to go. The ammonia is a strong detergent and reportedly will evaporate from the clothing, after doing it's job. I also believe you can reuse the ammonia, but would need more than the standard bucket. You'd need one with a good gasket. Of course, you need to be sure that chlorine is never mixed, as that creates a deadly gas.
Arcb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Arcb (12-08-2017)
post #26 of 33 Old 12-08-2017

We have the scrubba. Works great but the seam failed so it leaks. The little drain plug is hard to get out. It lasted one season. Then got the device Bill referenced. On a 46’ boat it’s a pain to store. The handle comes off easily but the rest snaps together and isn’t made to repetitively take apart and reassemble. Not a good choice for a small boat. But it does a great job. Would note it’s off the boat due to storage issue but great up at the hunting camp.
If you have two sinks and have only synthetics that’s the way to go. Biggest thing about laundry is to get rid of all cotton clothes. Synthetics will come clean with a wash in salt water and Dawn. Then rinse in fresh. We have RO now so do both in fresh with whatever highly concentrated detergent is available.
Still go to the laundermat for the bedding. Haven’t found a good way to do bedding on the boat
travlin-easy and Arcb like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 12-08-2017 at 10:04 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to outbound For This Useful Post:
Arcb (12-08-2017)
post #27 of 33 Old 12-08-2017
Old soul

The Scrubba looks like a standard dry bag with, I presume, some sort of rough side. Looks pretty easy to recreate, likely at a fraction of the cost.

The Ecowash’s churning handle and stand was flimsy, but the main tank seemed well built. It never leaked for me, and I did use it quite a bit. Like I say, the main reason I abandoned it was due to the large space it required for storage, and also b/c it is slow to process larger loads. I didn’t find I saved any water using it either (which is why it claims the “eco” moniker I assume).

After years of doing laundry on board the only improvement I’d plan to make to our bucket & fancy plunger is to add a small scrub board.
Arcb likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 33 Old 12-08-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

+1 for dragging behind the boat although that can also collect a lot of plankton.(G)

You've also got to be wary of ammonia. Among other things it attacks latex, which is why the folks at Windex tell you never to use it on latex (house painted) walls. And it will attack lycra, spandex, other fabrics the same way, eventually breaking the elastic part of them down. Same for the elastic in waistbands. Ooopsie.

Another good reason to sail in a kilt, with no elastic in or under it.(G)
RegisteredUser and Arcb like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
Arcb (12-08-2017)
post #29 of 33 Old 12-08-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
....You've also got to be wary of ammonia. Among other things it attacks latex, which is why the folks at Windex tell you never to use it on latex (house painted) walls. And it will attack lycra, spandex, other fabrics the same way, eventually breaking the elastic part of them down. Same for the elastic in waistbands. Ooopsie.....
Interesting, most hiking and quick dry things probably contain these things. Bleach definitely kills elastic. Didn't realize ammonia does too.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #30 of 33 Old 12-08-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

I'm not sure. The quick-dry stuff like Caprilene is basically polyester, I think. No elastic in in. And my good socks are "all wool", if there's any elastic it is just in the tops of them.
Arcb likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in