Bottom Paint above the Waterline? - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By FloridaBoy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-10-2017 Thread Starter

Bottom Paint above the Waterline?

Hello, all you Brainiacs and Engineers! The only place on my Morgan 35 that grows stuff, weed, barnacles. is the water line. And, anywhere paint has worn off, bottom of keel, attachment points of the skegged rudder. I have Trinidad SR on the bottom, scant growth for 4 yrs that I have owned the boat. Don't know if it's the PTFE kind or the Irgarol. I have a friend that just had his boat painted and had the bottom paint extended above the waterline, about 4 inches. Seems like a good idea...Now he's not a lifer like you guys. What do you think? Will it stand up to being out of the water? It looks fine, I mean, not having a traditional strip of one or two colors, on the water line. So, let's hear Ya'. Thanks for your opinions. Kevin
Harvey Hall likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-10-2017
SFH

Re: Bottom Paint above the Waterline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Hello, all you Brainiacs and Engineers! The only place on my Morgan 35 that grows stuff, weed, barnacles. is the water line. And, anywhere paint has worn off, bottom of keel, attachment points of the skegged rudder. I have Trinidad SR on the bottom, scant growth for 4 yrs that I have owned the boat. Don't know if it's the PTFE kind or the Irgarol. I have a friend that just had his boat painted and had the bottom paint extended above the waterline, about 4 inches. Seems like a good idea...Now he's not a lifer like you guys. What do you think? Will it stand up to being out of the water? It looks fine, I mean, not having a traditional strip of one or two colors, on the water line. So, let's hear Ya'. Thanks for your opinions. Kevin
On our Jeanneau 53 the antifouling is extended approximately three inches above the water line.
Has always been like that and never had any issues.
We use International Micron Extra. Dover color. Initially is is greyish but turn into a more greenish color after launch

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 12-10-2017

Yep, when yer rocking and rolling outside the confines of the marina the waterline means sweet fook all..extend it up a few inches...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-10-2017
Master Mariner

Our present bottom paint and in fact the bottom paint of every boat I've ever owned has extended at least 3" above the waterline and as much as 8" on some. It keeps the waterline clean, if not growth free. No yellow stains or black lines and smudges at the waterline any more.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 7 Old 12-10-2017

^^^^

We've owned boats with the boot stripe too low, and it's a PIA to keep clean.

Go up a few inches, saves a lot of trouble.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-10-2017

Most cruisers and anyone in a rolly moorage will have moved the bottom paint up beyond the designed waterline. Most people won't notice it unless it was moved it up a foot or so. Moved my water line up to the top of the boot stripe and painted on a new boot stripe above. Was a big improvement in boats appearance even though the floating waterline remained the same. No more slime on the boot top.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-10-2017 Thread Starter

Thanks Folks, I figured I'd get an opinion here, and they are all positive. I don't think I've ever noticed bottom paint above the water line. Then again, I wasn't looking for it. So, above the water line it will be. Be nice not having to scrub that durned water line. I think that took longer than scrubing the slime off the bottom. Thanks again. Kevin

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in