Suggestions for Fixes in the Cockpit? - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-11-2017 Thread Starter

Suggestions for Fixes in the Cockpit?

Hi folks - I have a few questions regarding sailboat repair for a 19' Cape Dory Typhoon weekender. See photo attached.

First issue: Can anyone suggest a somewhat simple fix for this split teak in the cockpit ? I'll have to fix it at the slip, in the water, and don't have much in the way of wood working tools. I'm thinking some adhesive to seal the crack and then a brass screw drilled at the 90 where the two pieces connect, but I wonder if this would be enough to prevent future splitting and was thinking of reinforcing the backside with a corner brace of some sort, although I'm not keen on putting any more holes in the deck so I'm thinking maybe I could attach the brace using epoxy?

Second issue: The previous owner repaired a hole in the corner of the cockpit using some grey epoxy of sorts...not sure what it is. I'd like to sand it out and apply some primer/white gelcoat just to make it look a little better than a big gray patch. Any suggestions on the feasibility of this? Suggestions on paint products to use?

It may be obvious from my proposed solutions here that I'm a complete novice so pardon any naive suggestions I've posed here. Ive looked at youtube to try and find some solutions but can't find anything specific to these issues...maybe I'm not searching under right terms? Also, I've stripped the varnish and am going to apply teak oil.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
teak split.jpg  
oysterman23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-12-2017

Re: Suggestions for Fixes in the Cockpit?

Looks like you could get some clamps on each edge of the teak piece so it could be glued and clamped while it sets... however the crack looks well weathered and the repair may not end up lasting long. That's a long break -had it been fresh you could certainly successfully have glued it. Still is worth a try.

The grey patch needs smoothing and refinishing and it will be tough to get a true match - but anything close will look better than now.

Good luck.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 16 Old 12-12-2017
Master Mariner

If you take that piece of wood off the boat, clean up the mating surfaces of the crack and get some clamps, using Resorcinol Glue, you should have a joint that, if not nearly invisible, at least not very noticeable once you have varnished the piece. I would not try repairing it in place as I doubt you could do the job properly.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
DonBland (12-18-2017)

post #4 of 16 Old 12-14-2017

I would get a sanding block to smooth the gray blob. It appears to be regular epoxy to me. As for the board, I would simply make a new one but I have some experience at woodworking as well as the necessary tools and equipment. You could try repairing but since it is a longitudinal break at a point where it could receive a lot of shearing pressure I do not think the repair would hold. A proper glue joint can be stronger than the base material but given the restrictions I think finding a cabinet shop to make a replacement is a better value.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-15-2017

scuff up the two sides of that crack with a 60 grit hand sanded
if you have a biscut joiner heres where it comes in handy, if you dont then
grab a drill bit and some small bore stainless rod and cut pieces to say 4-6 inches and drill out and place a spin every 8 -12 inches the length.
epoxy the joint and clamp across with atleast 4 clamps to maintain even pressure across the repair
once dry sand and finish , while your at it might as well pull the other side and sand and refinish so they match.
sailingfool and -OvO- like this.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-15-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBiscuit42 View Post
.....Also, I've stripped the varnish and am going to apply teak oil. .....
I don't think you're going to like this path. Teak oil attracts dirt and it wouldn't be my first choice for something I was leaning against. Natural weathered bare teak is fine, just wash it will boat soap and a soft scotch brite (never use a bristle brush on it). If you insist on a coating, that is a much longer discussion.

I'm not sure what repair standard you're looking for. If you're just trying to make these more presentable, I would block sand the grey patch and try to get as close a paint match as I could. Gel coat takes some real skill to blend. If it was the right color, the eye wouldn't notice it much at all.

As for the coaming, to do it right, you have to replace that board. I'm sure it could be repaired by removing it, cleaning it up, re-gluing and clamping. You can still do it on the boat, just not while installed. I bet you could search around for someone that could make you a new one, if you brought the old one to them. This would be the best repair, but may mismatch the age/wear of the other side and you could find yourself doing both.
SeaBiscuit42 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-15-2017

All these are great options
SeaBiscuit42 likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-15-2017
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBiscuit42 View Post
Hi folks - I have a few questions regarding sailboat repair for a 19' Cape Dory Typhoon weekender. See photo attached.

First issue: Can anyone suggest a somewhat simple fix for this split teak in the cockpit ? I'll have to fix it at the slip, in the water, and don't have much in the way of wood working tools. I'm thinking some adhesive to seal the crack and then a brass screw drilled at the 90 where the two pieces connect, but I wonder if this would be enough to prevent future splitting and was thinking of reinforcing the backside with a corner brace of some sort, although I'm not keen on putting any more holes in the deck so I'm thinking maybe I could attach the brace using epoxy?

Second issue: The previous owner repaired a hole in the corner of the cockpit using some grey epoxy of sorts...not sure what it is. I'd like to sand it out and apply some primer/white gelcoat just to make it look a little better than a big gray patch. Any suggestions on the feasibility of this? Suggestions on paint products to use?

It may be obvious from my proposed solutions here that I'm a complete novice so pardon any naive suggestions I've posed here. Ive looked at youtube to try and find some solutions but can't find anything specific to these issues...maybe I'm not searching under right terms? Also, I've stripped the varnish and am going to apply teak oil.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Note that the split combing partially supports the small bronze sheet winch on the port side of the cockpit which may, in fact, account for the split if the winch base support has weakened at the deck, which I suspect, allowing the winch to rotate outward and "twist" the combing across the grain, causing the split.

Considering the condition of the wood, both the combing and the trim board across the transom (and I suspect the starboard combing as well), the appropriate "fix" would be to remove all three pieces. As for the split board, with that off the boat one could apply West Systems epoxy along the face of the split and then, using some clamps, hold it together while the epoxy sets up. With that, one could drill vertical holes, perhaps 3/16" dia into the combing from the top, across the split, and countersink bronze lag screws across the split to act as drift pins. I'd likely do that at, perhaps, 8" intervals. The holes can then be "plugged" with teak plugs, set with varnish. If I were doing it, I'd add a 1/4" facing to the inside surface of the combing, at least between the aft trim board and the aft end of the dog-house, forward. If you can't find teak--depending upon your locale--one could use light Mahogany which would be close enough. Then refinish all three pieces.

While the combings and trim are off the boat, check the port winch base at the deck and make any necessary repairs there and take a palm sander to the "gray" patch, which I suspect is gray Marine-tex. (Check the inside of the aft bulkhead through the bustle to see what the conditions there are like, as that looks to be a sizable hole.) The best fix would be a "patch" of glass cloth laid over the damage--a small West System repair kit would do--sanded smooth and then painted with gel-coat tinted to match the the surrounding glass. Or simply paint the entire aft bulkhead with tinted white EZPoxy. The color match might not be perfect with respect to the rest of the cockpit but it would be consistent across the bulkhead below the aft trim and likely wouldn't be noticeable.

All of the foregoing really wouldn't be difficult nor terribly time consuming and could easily be done in a day or two. The Typhoon is a handsome boat and worthy of a good fix.

FWIW...
SeaBiscuit42 likes this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 12-15-2017 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Add addendum
post #9 of 16 Old 12-15-2017

The folks who suggested taking the coaming off and gluing it beat me to the punch; you can't fix that thing in place. If the crack hasn't weathered the wood past the point where the two sides still mate, then Gorilla Glue will make that fix stronger than the surrounding wood. If you can't match the halves anymore, then you can fill with thickened epoxy, but that might be beyond what you can do or at least do on board. Ditto the advice about getting a new coaming made (maybe two to match) as the cleanest and easiest (and most expensive) fix.

As for the epoxy fix in the corner, sand it and paint it. The color match will be the toughest part. You will find that marine fiberglass paint is expensive, and it ain't worth the price you will pay for a quart of even the cheapest stuff to paint over that small spot. For a spot that small, you may want to consider going to the local hardware store and getting a "sample" size of an off-white outdoor house paint. Give it a try before you spend big bucks for something so minor.

Oh, and the Typhoon Weekender is a great boat! Congratulations. A little tender for my wife's taste, but a rock-solid, forgiving and beautiful craft.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-15-2017
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
The folks who suggested taking the coaming off and gluing it beat me to the punch; you can't fix that thing in place. If the crack hasn't weathered the wood past the point where the two sides still mate, then Gorilla Glue will make that fix stronger than the surrounding wood. ...
I would second this recommendation, I have always been pleased with the results of Gorilla glue. Definitely remove the piece and do the repair at home on a bench. Get four or five furniture clamps, clean, dampen, glue and clamp. If you have any difficulty lining up the two sections for clamping, then take them to a woodworker and have notches routed for "biscuits" which will serve to align the edges for joining.

Certified...in several regards...

Tags
fiberglass hole teak

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in