What do you tow your trailer sailor with. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 Old 12-20-2017

Re: What do you tow your trailer sailor with.

Arcb- I own a 2014 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0L 4WD that I tow my Starwind 19, and McKee Craft Cape Fear (17 ft.) powerboat with. It's rated at 3500 pound capacity.

It drives great for an SUV, tows the Starwind at 18 MPG at 65 MPH on the highway and I can eke out 14 MPG towing the powerboat going 65 MPH. I would not have an SUV without 4WD as we have some steep ramps that get slippery when the water goes down. I've had no problems ever pulling a boat out. This 4WD system is not an on/off truck based, it is really "All Wheel Drive" like a Subaru. Sends power to the rear wheels as needed but mostly FWD. I average 20-22 MPG around town and 25 or so on the highway if I keep the speed below 80. I've been very happy with it so far. Had it three years and am at about 70k miles with no problems. You can get a lower trim level with the same larger engine (240 HP I think) and 4WD for less than the top of line Titanium I have. Whatever you decide, make sure to get the factory towing package. I think this would tow your Bay Hen like it's not even back there. A 2000lb boat should be no problem. My powerboat is at least 2800 all loaded with gas and even then it's got plenty of power and stopping ability.

This picture is right after I bought the boat. Towed it 200 miles back home with no problems and a car full of boat junk.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2488.JPG  
Arcb likes this.

Ryan
1986 Starwind 19, Mango

Last edited by StarwindMango; 12-20-2017 at 10:46 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to StarwindMango For This Useful Post:
Arcb (12-20-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 12-20-2017 Thread Starter

That's interesting Starwind, because I just set up an appointment to look at an AWD Ford Fusion Titanium sedan with the exact same engine. Apparently the car is only rated for 2000 lbs, but maybe that's as much to do with vehicle weight as drive train.

Your Starwind 19 is very similar weight and size to a couple of keel boats we are considering but have far from decided on.
post #13 of 32 Old 12-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
That's interesting Starwind, because I just set up an appointment to look at an AWD Ford Fusion Titanium sedan with the exact same engine. Apparently the car is only rated for 2000 lbs, but maybe that's as much to do with vehicle weight as drive train.

Your Starwind 19 is very similar weight and size to a couple of keel boats we are considering but have far from decided on.
My understanding is the drivetrain between these two is very similar. The brakes on the Escape are very good. I've done a couple hard stops with both boats and never felt out of control.

Even with my SUV though, you can't back too far down the ramp without submerging the rear exhausts, which is usually where I stop. With anything that sits lower I'd be very careful. That said, we had a guy at my sailing club that regularly launched his San Juan 21 with a BMW 330i convertible and it worked out fine!

Ryan
1986 Starwind 19, Mango

post #14 of 32 Old 12-20-2017
Above 5 knots

Dock

The boat is the small thing I tow with my tow vehicle. Old boat

new boat same truck

The real trailer
Towguy and Arcb like this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #15 of 32 Old 12-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
A Grand Caravan won't be stressed by those tows, and it has ample room for all your boat toys.
You can pick those up for cheap too
post #16 of 32 Old 12-21-2017
Lake Sailor

I use a 2006 Explorer, Eddie Bauer Edition, V8 with tow package. Hauled my first boat, an O'Day 25 from just north of Detroit to Minneapolis. Brought my current boat from Bradenton FL to Minneapolis.
StarwindMango likes this.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 32 Old 12-21-2017

Wanted to be ready for anything; my Ram takes me hunting, hauls furniture and my C22 tows like a dream. 4x4 is handy on steep wet ramps too.
Attached Thumbnails
20170902_093204_2.jpg  
post #18 of 32 Old 12-21-2017

StarwindMango, I you have your tow vehicle's exhaust pipes submerged and bubbling while launching, you are either launching at a very shallow launch ramp or your trailer's tongue is way too short. There are lots of trailers out there sold by unknowing dealers that have absolutely no idea how to set them up. I've seen this hundreds of times and wondered how in the Hell they get away with what they are doing.

Now, there are lots of ramps that are nothing more than a concrete slab placed on a beach - they are not real launch ramps, IMO. Most of the state ramps I've used have a good slope to them, and for the most part, you barely get the trailer hubs beneath the surface. With some, all roller trailers, such as Load Rite, there is no need to submerge the wheel hubs of the trailer. I have demonstrated this hundreds of times and at one time had a video of this procedure while launching a 26-foot powerboat at a state ramp near Annapolis, Maryland.

Merry Christmas,

Gary
post #19 of 32 Old 12-21-2017 Thread Starter

Hopefully this thread keeps on going for people considering a new tow vehicle, but I for one absolutely can not tolerate an unreliable 200+k vehicle due to living out in the country with a family in a city that routinely sees 20 below, so between starting this thread and now, I traded in my Santa Fe for a new Grand Caravan. I don't think I made a mistake, because they are so cheap, and new they come with a 5 year power train warranty, so even if I burn up the transmission, I am covered for 5 years. However, after test driving the vehicle it seemed reasonably clear the vehicle had the weight and power to pull my little 900 pound boat without effort. I wont know until next spring if I made a silly choice, but I think I did not.

One concern I have is backing my trailer into my driveway with such a long vehicle, it was a tight turn with the Hyundai. Any way, there will be a review next spring. Thanks for every ones thoughts
post #20 of 32 Old 12-21-2017
Above 5 knots

Dock

Gary... I bet you say that about my WD24...
Not only was the exhaust bubbling, but my truck bed was starting to fill with water. Water was lapping against the back door sills.

tongue is not only short, it is ridiculously short. Trailer is NOT a float off trailer, its a lift off. I still floated off of it, and by some miracle, back on it.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in