SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Thoughts on whether I should relocate my house batteries ... (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/306658-thoughts-whether-i-should-relocate-my-house-batteries.html)

BillMoran 12-24-2017 09:33 PM

Thoughts on whether I should relocate my house batteries ...

I made a video ... may be simpler+faster to just watch it:
https://youtu.be/BzgpzcdaySI

However, I'll also try to describe the situation in words.

1979 Tartan 37. As far as I can tell, it originally had 2 batteries. A previous owner upgraded to 4 batteries by adding 2 to the storage compartment under the quarterberth.

The problems with the current setup are:
* Old battery box hides one battery underneath a panel that makes it difficult to service the battery
* New battery location interferes with access to the engine (particularly in the way when trying to change the oil filter)

I'm considering moving the 3 house batteries up under the settee. This will involve a lot of rewiring and modifications to the new compartment. I'm leaning heavily toward doing it, but looking for input in case there's some angle to this that I'm missing.

capta 12-24-2017 10:53 PM

Re: Thoughts on whether I should relocate my house batteries ...

I believe the battery system would be a lot more efficient if all the cables were the same length, which it sounds like your new plan would achieve. Keep in mind that when a battery out-gasses those fumes are explosive, so proper venting of the compartment (under the settee in this case) is a must.
Anything on a boat that is easily serviced is going to be serviced more regularly, which is a good thing.

roverhi 12-24-2017 11:35 PM

You can buy remote battery filler system so you can fill batteries without having to pull them out to do it. 2 of my four batteries are buried under furniture. To even check the liquid level had to pull out two batteries and then slide the other two into view. The remote fill system has taken care of that and made servicing the batteries a pleasure. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Ba...-p/55-8752.htm

Don L 12-25-2017 07:44 AM

I feel the battery cable length thing is an "on paper" item with the low loads boaters place on batteries. I also feel that gassing is a minor thing if you are charging properly and not running a big load like an inverter. Just saying, not fighting.

Far as moving the batteries, only the OP can say whether the work is worth it in the long run to him. But I would say it is based him asking the question.

Faster 12-25-2017 10:33 AM

Also consider what moving that weight will do to the trim of the boat... permanent list? Can it be offset by moving other items typically stored?

RegisteredUser 12-25-2017 10:48 AM

Maybe go with agm batts and eliminate svce needs.

hellosailor 12-25-2017 02:58 PM

Bill, I have no idea what a T37 looks like inside. But what does that entire compartment look like when reassembled? Is there anything structural or functional about it, or could you literally just remove the current battery compartment and rebuild that area with something that allows the installation of batteries all in the one place. Presumably there's no usable space on the other side of the engine either?

BillMoran 12-25-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 2051322770)
Bill, I have no idea what a T37 looks like inside. But what does that entire compartment look like when reassembled? Is there anything structural or functional about it, or could you literally just remove the current battery compartment and rebuild that area with something that allows the installation of batteries all in the one place. Presumably there's no usable space on the other side of the engine either?

The port side is my diesel tank, so there's not usable space there (except for storing diesel ... obviously).

Ripping out the existing stuff that the batteries mount to doesn't help me much, as far as I can see. Basically, I can't come up with a more efficient way to store the batteries than is already there. That compartment is oddly shaped because the bottom is the outer hull (and thus curved). Moving the batteries forward where I actually have a square compartment seems like better use of space to me. I can then tear out the existing battery supports and have more space for smaller items.

BillMoran 12-25-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 2051322610)
Also consider what moving that weight will do to the trim of the boat... permanent list? Can it be offset by moving other items typically stored?

I doubt it will have any effect on the list of the boat ... they'd be moving from the port side to the port side.

RegisteredUser 12-25-2017 05:21 PM

How old are the batts you have now?