Thoughts on whether I should relocate my house batteries ... - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-24-2017 Thread Starter

Thoughts on whether I should relocate my house batteries ...

I made a video ... may be simpler+faster to just watch it:
https://youtu.be/BzgpzcdaySI

However, I'll also try to describe the situation in words.

1979 Tartan 37. As far as I can tell, it originally had 2 batteries. A previous owner upgraded to 4 batteries by adding 2 to the storage compartment under the quarterberth.

The problems with the current setup are:
* Old battery box hides one battery underneath a panel that makes it difficult to service the battery
* New battery location interferes with access to the engine (particularly in the way when trying to change the oil filter)

I'm considering moving the 3 house batteries up under the settee. This will involve a lot of rewiring and modifications to the new compartment. I'm leaning heavily toward doing it, but looking for input in case there's some angle to this that I'm missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-24-2017
Master Mariner

Re: Thoughts on whether I should relocate my house batteries ...

I believe the battery system would be a lot more efficient if all the cables were the same length, which it sounds like your new plan would achieve. Keep in mind that when a battery out-gasses those fumes are explosive, so proper venting of the compartment (under the settee in this case) is a must.
Anything on a boat that is easily serviced is going to be serviced more regularly, which is a good thing.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (12-25-2017)
post #3 of 17 Old 12-24-2017

You can buy remote battery filler system so you can fill batteries without having to pull them out to do it. 2 of my four batteries are buried under furniture. To even check the liquid level had to pull out two batteries and then slide the other two into view. The remote fill system has taken care of that and made servicing the batteries a pleasure. https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Ba...-p/55-8752.htm
SailingKnottyGurl likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to roverhi For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (12-25-2017)

post #4 of 17 Old 12-25-2017
bell ringer

I feel the battery cable length thing is an "on paper" item with the low loads boaters place on batteries. I also feel that gassing is a minor thing if you are charging properly and not running a big load like an inverter. Just saying, not fighting.

Far as moving the batteries, only the OP can say whether the work is worth it in the long run to him. But I would say it is based him asking the question.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-25-2017

Also consider what moving that weight will do to the trim of the boat... permanent list? Can it be offset by moving other items typically stored?

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 17 Old 12-25-2017

Maybe go with agm batts and eliminate svce needs.
SanderO and fallard like this.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-25-2017
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Bill, I have no idea what a T37 looks like inside. But what does that entire compartment look like when reassembled? Is there anything structural or functional about it, or could you literally just remove the current battery compartment and rebuild that area with something that allows the installation of batteries all in the one place. Presumably there's no usable space on the other side of the engine either?
post #8 of 17 Old 12-25-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Bill, I have no idea what a T37 looks like inside. But what does that entire compartment look like when reassembled? Is there anything structural or functional about it, or could you literally just remove the current battery compartment and rebuild that area with something that allows the installation of batteries all in the one place. Presumably there's no usable space on the other side of the engine either?
The port side is my diesel tank, so there's not usable space there (except for storing diesel ... obviously).

Ripping out the existing stuff that the batteries mount to doesn't help me much, as far as I can see. Basically, I can't come up with a more efficient way to store the batteries than is already there. That compartment is oddly shaped because the bottom is the outer hull (and thus curved). Moving the batteries forward where I actually have a square compartment seems like better use of space to me. I can then tear out the existing battery supports and have more space for smaller items.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-25-2017 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Also consider what moving that weight will do to the trim of the boat... permanent list? Can it be offset by moving other items typically stored?
I doubt it will have any effect on the list of the boat ... they'd be moving from the port side to the port side.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-25-2017

How old are the batts you have now?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in