On Board Fire Extinguisher - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By MarkofSeaLife

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-01-2018 Thread Starter

On Board Fire Extinguisher

A couple of the fire extinguishers I had on my boat are needing to be replaced after the company issued a recall and I don't really feel like taking them up on their offer for replacements, seeing as it took almost a year for this recall to even get out. I am looking for other good C02 fire extinguishers as my foam to replace them with, preferably quite small (5lb)so I can fit one close to the engine. Can anyone make some recommendation on what I could look at? I would prefer something that has been tried and tested versus just taking the word from the guy at a store because you never know how it will work until you try it. Thanks everyone.

As people suggested I contacted Kiddie to have them send me my replacement extinguishers, hopefully, they arrive soon and I can get them installed easily. To put my mind at ease, however, I still needed a proper extinguisher and started looking online. I found someone selling a whole lot of C02 fire extinguishers on https://www.for-sale.ie/co2-fire-extinguisher that were never used and from a company that had to shut down their office. I met with the seller (who happened to be a fire inspector now) and he told me all about what they had and what would be best for me. I bought three C02 fire extinguishers off him and will put one in my house as well as the ones in the boat. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Last edited by OleBlueNose; 01-06-2018 at 04:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to OleBlueNose For This Useful Post:
TDStewart (01-07-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-01-2018
Learning the HARD way...

How about a fire blanket?

There is a thread here about a new-fangled fire extinguisher / flare thingy that leaves no residue for $50 (from Italy), but no one has tried it yet.

[EDIT] here is the thread: https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...inguisher.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eherlihy; 01-01-2018 at 10:15 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-01-2018

Dock
Re: On Board Fire Extinguisher

I got Gang Warfare size extinguisher.

Huge and cheap at Ace. Does all 3 types of fires.

I tried to put a fire out on another boat with the normal size extinguishers and they are a bloody joke. Or no joke, depending on your mood.

Fire blankets are very good and I have one in a quick release bag in the galley.
bigdogandy and seabeau like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

post #4 of 7 Old 01-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleBlueNose View Post
A couple of the fire extinguishers I had on my boat are needing to be replaced after the company issued a recall and I don't really feel like taking them up on their offer for replacements, seeing as it took almost a year for this recall to even get out. I am looking for other good C02 fire extinguishers as my foam to replace them with, preferably quite small (5lb)so I can fit one close to the engine. Can anyone make some recommendation on what I could look at? I would prefer something that has been tried and tested versus just taking the word from the guy at a store because you never know how it will work until you try it. Thanks everyone.
Get the replacements from Kidde, to satisfy USCG minimum requirements. Then you are free to get a larger one or more, of whatever kind, without USCG labeling.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #5 of 7 Old 01-02-2018

I had two of the Kidde fire extinguishers at home and I called their toll free number to get my replacements. The company sent them quickly with a shipping label for me to return the old ones for disposal. The new ones have been improved and are professional class extinguisers.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-02-2018 Thread Starter

I also keep a fire blanket in my emergency bag, but that is a little far away if you notice an engine fire. I might get the replacements like some have suggested but I still feel like getting something that has a little better track record. Going to look at the Gangwarfare ones; having something that will fight all three types of fires is a bonus as long as it can be reliable while doing it. Thanks everyone.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-03-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Kidde are arguably as good or bad as any other. American LaFrance and some other companies produce similar but I've never heard of any of them being called "better" than the others. They're pretty much commodities.

As MarkSF said, let Kidde send you new ones to keep the USCG happy, and pursue other options to do the real extinguishing.

What people don't realize is that the standard "liter soda bottle" size extinguishers really can't put out more than one burning skillet or one office desk trash can that's on fire. And that a fire (residential and office fires, anyway) doubles in size every 30 seconds, so you've got a minute or so to respond and then that little extinguisher isn't going to do the job. But, it keeps the USCG happy.

Dry powder, real foam, CO2, some of the new chemicals, all have their best uses and all are useless in other types, so it pays to read up and take several types. CO2 certainly means the least cleanup in an engine bay, plus choking off the engine.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in