Need to quit Marina and anchor out... - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 Old 01-10-2018 Thread Starter

Need to quit Marina and anchor out...

Hello, All, I need to quit the slip at the marina and find me a place to anchor my 35 foot boat out, in the river. Plenty of places to do that, here in Cocoa, Florida. No laws in the way. Good stiff mud. When I anchor up with my 20 lb Danforth, to scrub the bottom, I can't hardly get it out of the mud. My question is, looking for advice on how to do that, anchor out permanently, I mean. Probably be in 6-7 feet of water. Seems to me, 2 anchors would be better. Thinking of buying a bigger Delta or Rocna and using chain and a snubber. Not sure where to get a snubber, but I read about you guys using them. Should I use 2 separate anchor lines? Or maybe 2 anchors on one line. Boat would be out there all year. Be a pain in the butt getting out to her, compared to walking down the dock at the marina. But, would be easier to go day sailing. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm just a sailor on a budget, and I could save 6 grand a year, by anchoring out. Then I could buy that wind vane, I'm lusting for, and be guilt free. Thanks for any advice. Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 01-10-2018
Barquito

Re: Need to quit Marina and anchor out...

I don't know Florida laws, or norms, but could you just drop a mooring?

Valiant 32
post #3 of 68 Old 01-11-2018
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I don't know Florida laws, or norms, but could you just drop a mooring?
Please don't encourage that. Too many anchorages on the east coast have been destroyed by squatters dropping moorings all over the place. Those are the people that are causing many Florida counties to make it difficult for all cruisers to anchor.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (01-11-2018)

post #4 of 68 Old 01-11-2018
Master Mariner

I would set a Bahamian moor up and down current with 2 Danforth anchors and 3/8" chain to a swivel below the boat's bow. Then bring a 3/4" 3 strand nylon line from the swivel to the boat's bow, through a chock or over the anchor roller with good chafe gear. That should hold her, if the holding there is good, up to tropical storm strength winds, without too much trouble. You will need to wire all the shackles and inspect it monthly.
Attached Thumbnails
bahamian moor.jpg  
Slayer likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 68 Old 01-11-2018
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I would set a Bahamian moor up and down current with 2 Danforth anchors and 3/8" chain to a swivel below the boat's bow. Then bring a 3/4" 3 strand nylon line from the swivel to the boat's bow, through a chock or over the anchor roller with good chafe gear. That should hold her, if the holding there is good, up to tropical storm strength winds, without too much trouble. You will need to wire all the shackles and inspect it monthly.
Cocoa is a busy anchorage for cruising boats. One boat on a Bahamian moor will ruin it for many others.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (01-11-2018)
post #6 of 68 Old 01-11-2018

Isn't our member "cdy" on a three point danforth setup in Cocoa? You might want to get in touch and ask about how it's working and whether it interferes with traffic. I was in Cocoa Village a few months ago and the waterfront was pretty banged up. Not sure where you even launch a dinghy to get to your anchorage.

SailNet Community - View Profile: cdy

No doubt this is a bit of a controversial subject, with little proof of an obviously correct answer. Personally, I think I would opt for an oversized next-gen anchor (Rocna, MS, etc) that should reset itself. I worry that an unattended Bahamian or Three point anchor system would foul itself, if one leg broke free and didn't reset itself.

Next controversy is rode. Should a relatively permanent mooring system be rope or chain. Oh boy. I say chain, as it won't decay from UV, debris in the fibers, chafe, keel wrap, etc. Chain, of course, does not have a perpetual useful life either. Wait for the rope crowd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 68 Old 01-11-2018
Learning the HARD way...

- By Alex E. Proimos - https://www.flickr.com/photos/proimos/4199675334/, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=22535544
Sal Paradise likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #8 of 68 Old 01-11-2018

In this part of the world, most guys just pick up a clean engine block from the junk yard, usually a big block V8, attach a length of chain to the engine with a float on the other end and dump it overboard in a protected area. And, it's perfectly legal in Maryland. There is a 22 footer moored to an engine block in the Susquehanna River that has been there for 5 years. This guy shows up, dives in the river, climbs on the boat via a swim ladder and goes sailing. He goes home the same way. When he put the block on the bottom, he used a boom and a couple 4X4s across the gunwales of his dinghy. carefully put it on the boards, then rowed it out to the drop site, just rocked the dinghy, which caused the engine to slip over the side. He made it look easy, but I would not have tried it. Guess I'm getting old.

Good luck,

Gary
post #9 of 68 Old 01-11-2018
Learning the HARD way...

I believe that the members of SailNet have been up this river before - last time on a '72 Pearson 36 (with svDistantStar). https://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...ly-sucked.html

Dropping a mooring (or an engine block - which is banned in most places) requires the prior approval of the harbormaster. And if you are looking to make your own mooring, we've been there too (with svDistantStar again!) https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...t-mooring.html

I will also point out that @FloridaBoy 's insurance will likely go up if he were to move to a private mooring (b/c no one will be checking on the boat). The boat is insured - right? I am sure that you already know that insurance on your vessel is not only to protect you, but those around you (including homeowners and other boats).
Jeffrey Gawrys likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #10 of 68 Old 01-11-2018

Why are you quitting the marina?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in