Cockpit Cushion Foam - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 Old 01-23-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Cockpit Cushion Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I don't think any should be "brushed of or ridiculed" by suggestion the solution was arrived at by a blonde suggestive sale if I read your post correctly.
You read incorrectly. It was a Goldilocks and the Three Bears (cushions) reference. Any ridicule you are reading, you are adding because there is absolutely none on this end of the forum. I am simply discussing what I am thinking and responding to posts. I may not spend as much time in the cockpit as some, being in Maine, but from June to September, we are in our cockpit for the entire weekend or more as well as two 9-day trips up the coast. Been doing this for 10 years. Also three charters in the Caribbean. I estimate 7000 nm total.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 01-23-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
You read incorrectly. It was a Goldilocks and the Three Bears (cushions) reference. Any ridicule you are reading, you are adding because there is absolutely none on this end of the forum. I am simply discussing what I am thinking and responding to posts. I may not spend as much time in the cockpit as some, being in Maine, but from June to September, we are in our cockpit for the entire weekend or more as well as two 9-day trips up the coast. Been doing this for 10 years. Also three charters in the Caribbean. I estimate 7000 nm total.
No worries. Didnít pick up on that reference sorry. Not everything is so obvious when interpreting on the internet. Thanks for the clarification.

Glad you have that quality time and experience you have enumerated in the cockpit. Even if you were new hear it was still a great ask. We use our cockpit primarily also. Is why my wife made us zip in side curtains for foul weather and screens for the setting sun. It is why cushions are important add on for us also. They donít make Haleakula sail better, but keep my wife and I comfortable when anchored or in the slip. If sheís happy she enjoys coming and I am happy. It makes the time aboard more enjoyable.

I know that comfortable weatherproof durable stain resistant coushions are important to enjoying the cockpit for us also.

Ours our 3 inched thick, dureable , firm yet comfortable, weatherproof and mobile for storage below. Itís why I recommended it.

They have lasted 10 years already and still look good

Like I said let us know what you choose and how it works out. I am sure people interested in having cushions will ask again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #13 of 13 Old 01-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
The Admiral pulls them in at the first sign of a sprinkle. So . . . any recommendations on the foam to use? Reticulated foam is great for high water areas, like taking waves over the side. But we won't be and the foam tends to compress easily. Poly foam is as comfortable as sitting on a sponge because, well . . . , you are. But the density is more in line with what you'd like to plant your stern on. Any body have experience in selecting foam?
We went with vinyl covered polyurethane foam. We had reservations about water absorption/mold, but they are still going strong after 20 years. We, too, donít leave them out in the rain, but they do occasionally get wet (on the outside). We step on them all the time, too, and they are comfortable to sit on, but can get sweaty on hot, humid days.

We might have gone with textilene covers over open cell foam, like we see on Island Packets, but the vinyl covered poly is much more comfortable.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in