What is an alternative wood to teak? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 Old 01-26-2018

Re: What is an alternative wood to teak?

Osage Orange is what we called hedge trees on the farm. You could cut them for fence posts but you could not drive a staple in the wood to hold the wire as it was so hard. It made very good firewood as it burned very hot but it was heck on saw chains when you cut it. I would go with either the teak for deck surface or the mahogany for any decorative or trim pieces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 01-27-2018

IpÍ is heavy, but it lasts forever exposed to the elements. It's used in Brazil for decks and boat hulls (fishing boats). There are better alternatives like AraribŠ, but I doubt you'll find it outside Brazil. Beware of some suggestions like Peroba, which is hard, but will split and crack in the sun. Almost all tropical hardwoods have been thoroughly studied and their properties are well known. IpÍ is the leading choice for exterior use in places exposed to sun and rain. You can leave it unfinished and it will go silver like teak.
oysterman23 likes this.

VindŲ 50
post #23 of 28 Old 01-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsnyder83 View Post
Hey everyone, can you recommend a good alternative to teak ( if there is one)? I'm replacing an exterior piece of wood and a teak piece is going to be pretty expensive.
There are some great alternatives here but my first thought is, what piece of exterior teak are you trying to replace?

A decorative trim piece like a cabin eyebrow? You can get some tropical hardwoods from many lumber supply that look like teak when coated, for less than $10 a board foot.

Or is it a functional piece like a toe rail or companionway slide?

Or is is a piece you'll leave gray? Maybe something you'll step on?

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomMaine For This Useful Post:
chef2sail (01-28-2018)

post #24 of 28 Old 01-27-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Ipe is one of several woods sometimes called "ironwood" because it is so dense and water-resistant. In the US it is also commonly found as decking lumber, so it is relatively easy to find and afford, as long as you don't mind the "decking" size limits. The good side of that is that lumber yards sometimes have split pallets and overage for sale, too.
post #25 of 28 Old 01-28-2018

I redid everything on the deck etc with IPE/Ironwood also. The construction company my son works for had some decking pieces left over. I made up a new curved tiller, deck rails, and pieces on ea side of the cabin top entry. As noted, very hard! But I'm finding that it holds Epiphanes varnish very well! You will need coarse sandpaper to sand it down at any rate of speed. ie 60 down to 36 for initial. 80 or 120 finishes it very smooth with a belt sander or equal. You will also want sharp if not new blades for what ever saw you use to cut it.

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #26 of 28 Old 01-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
My experience with white oak is the opposite - it develops black streaks where there is a gap in the varnish, and varnish doesn't adhere to it all that well. I keep my tiller covered so that it doesn't develop black marks along the grain. Coating with epoxy, then varnish seems to work much better. I like teak, but mahogany is so much cheaper.

Regarding teak, unless I misread your sentence above, I don't understand what you mean by permanent damage from a breach in the coating - really really old weathered teak becomes like new with a little bit of sanding, ditto for mahogany.

I agree that after spending a few hours sanding white oak, you'll pine for teak (yuk, yuk); it's tough as hell.
If you re-read my post you will understand we are in agreement on all but the staining in white oak. I would not want to insult you by suggesting that you don't know the difference, but I know that red-oak stains from water and white oak is much like teak in that sanding off the least bit of material gets you back to good material.

Dan
post #27 of 28 Old 01-29-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Oak. mahogany, ironwood...all dangerous words to use, because there are so many variations that go by the same shortened generic name. Ironwood can be the local name for ipe or bubinga or several others. Mahogany often is "phillipine mahogany" which is really luaun.

FWIW, Constantines.com (used to be in the Bronx for ages, now is in Ft. Laud) sells all types of veneers and cabinet stuff mainly, but has a very nice veneer sampler set, about 50 good size pieces in one box. It helps to put a name to the real feel of a wood.

And for the life of me I can't recall the yard I've been to near White Plains...there's Maurice Condon, one of those yards that advertises in the sailing mags and has piles of all the marine grade lumber, the real stuff and the right stuff, but there are such places still scattered around. Folks who know and love what they are doing, and are happy to give good advice. Often it pays to find a yard like that if there's one within an hour or two, and just ask them "What do you have for..." because they also know we're not all rich.
oysterman23 likes this.
post #28 of 28 Old 01-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Oak. mahogany, ironwood...all dangerous words to use, because there are so many variations that go by the same shortened generic name. Ironwood can be the local name for ipe or bubinga or several others. Mahogany often is "phillipine mahogany" which is really luaun.

FWIW, Constantines.com (used to be in the Bronx for ages, now is in Ft. Laud) sells all types of veneers and cabinet stuff mainly, but has a very nice veneer sampler set, about 50 good size pieces in one box. It helps to put a name to the real feel of a wood.

And for the life of me I can't recall the yard I've been to near White Plains...there's Maurice Condon, one of those yards that advertises in the sailing mags and has piles of all the marine grade lumber, the real stuff and the right stuff, but there are such places still scattered around. Folks who know and love what they are doing, and are happy to give good advice. Often it pays to find a yard like that if there's one within an hour or two, and just ask them "What do you have for..." because they also know we're not all rich.
Good point Hello. Generic names like "ironwood" can be misleading. Also, there a about a dozen kinds of IpÍ, so it pays to research a little before you buy wood.

VindŲ 50

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in