MiAMI BOAT SHOW Exhibitors Products.. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 02-01-2018
Freedom Chip Counter

Re: MiAMI BOAT SHOW Exhibitors Products..

I haven't really seen great deals on paint at any of the South Florida Boat shows, but the Pettit reps really know there stuff and will spend all the time you want talking about different systems, prep and finish work. Swing by Garhauer if you like their stuff....they always seem to be ready to give it away!

Disappointed that I didn't see John Kretschmer on the speaker list this year.
sailforlife likes this.

S/V..... Between sailboats for the moment.

Last edited by scubadoo; 02-02-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 02-19-2018
Freedom Chip Counter

What did you think of the show?

I was more than a bit disappointed that Progressive Insurance decided to combine the sail and power boat shows....ugh...

The seminar tents for the sailing seminars were setup side by side with a thin vinyl wall between them that didn't even go full height. I was in the front row and had a hard time hearing Liza over Chris who was speaking in the adjacent room. Both are great speakers, but the venue was just a slap in the face to sailors. There were no fans available for the rooms so the poor speakers and their audience sat and suffered....the afternoon was a bit better with at least some breeze blowing in through the opening in the back of the rooms.

Who's idea was it to place the sailing seminars and vendors on the opposite side of the frgn venue from the sailboat docks??? wtf??? Again...I felt the sailors were a bit of the 3rd wheel.

Obviously, the organizers have no clue....

I'll gladly travel to Annapolis before I spend another minute at the Miami combined show.

Sorry for the rant.
sailforlife likes this.

post #13 of 21 Old 02-19-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadoo View Post
What did you think of the show?

I was more than a bit disappointed that Progressive Insurance decided to combine the sail and power boat shows....ugh...

The seminar tents for the sailing seminars were setup side by side with a thin vinyl wall between them that didn't even go full height. I was in the front row and had a hard time hearing Liza over Chris who was speaking in the adjacent room. Both are great speakers, but the venue was just a slap in the face to sailors. There were no fans available for the rooms so the poor speakers and their audience sat and suffered....the afternoon was a bit better with at least some breeze blowing in through the opening in the back of the rooms.

Who's idea was it to place the sailing seminars and vendors on the opposite side of the frgn venue from the sailboat docks??? wtf??? Again...I felt the sailors were a bit of the 3rd wheel.

Obviously, the organizers have no clue....

I'll gladly travel to Annapolis before I spend another minute at the Miami combined show.

Sorry for the rant.
100% Agree with you I have been going to the show for 7 years and will never return again.It is now a motorboat show basically. Annapolis is the way to go now the Miami Simply Sail Show is now DEAD.

post #14 of 21 Old 02-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailforlife View Post
100% Agree with you I have been going to the show for 7 years and will never return again.It is now a motorboat show basically. Annapolis is the way to go now the Miami Simply Sail Show is now DEAD.

This is sad news. I've been going to the Miami show (on and off) for 20 years, and although it's been an up and down ride, overall, the show has been very worth the effort. It used to be on Watson Island (where Parrot Jungle is now), and was quite the to-do. Then, it moved to Miamarina at Bayside, where it's been for a good number of years. There have been years where the number of boats displayed have been quite small, and years where it's been flush. But overall, you could tell that they have been downsizing; when they moved the vendor tents to the lawn in front of the mall (a good ten minute walk from the boats), that was a strong sign that things were going downhill.

I actually had hopes that combining Strictly Sail with the main boat show would be a good thing. A lot of the vendors sell products that are useful for all boaters, and with two separate shows, we sailors either did without or had to take shuttles back and forth to the "main" show. I imagine that if I'm in Miami during the show, I will give it a try; hopefully, I'll have a better experience.
sailforlife likes this.
post #15 of 21 Old 02-20-2018

We went this year for first time ever. Doubt I will be back. Cost us two about $120 for tickets food, and parking. And unless one has a spare million to spend none of the limited sailboat offerings would even be in the ballpark. Smallest sailboat in show was 38'. Is there really no company producing new boats in the 20-35 foot range?
sailforlife likes this.
post #16 of 21 Old 02-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisysDriver View Post
Is there really no company producing new boats in the 20-35 foot range?
All of the major manufacturers (Beneteau, Catalina, Hunter), plus many others do. They sometimes don't bring them to the shows because the profit margins aren't as high on the smaller boats, so they can't do the "show specials" that really move product.

I've always looked at the costs of going to the boat shows the same way I look at the costs for any other kind of entertainment. Unless you are in the market for a big boat and can take advantage of the "buy at the show and save $10,000" kinds of offers, there is no economic reason to go to a boat show. You just aren't going to save enough money buying binoculars or the like to offset the costs of attendance. The internet has made that kind of shopping obsolete. What's left of the value of the show for me is the entertainment. And in my opinion, it's well worth it. I love hanging around sailboats, talking to people about sailboats, and seeing and visiting boats that I will never own or even have a chance to see in the wild. I'll almost always pick up something: maybe a shirt, a belt, sunglasses, CO2 cartridges, or whatever. One year at Miami, I picked up a new Garhauer soft vang and wanted to buy new graphics for my transom but the only graphics vendors were in the main hall in Miami Beach, and I just couldn't bring myself to fight the traffic in the shuttle bus from Miamarina. I'll probably never buy a new boat, so I'm not going to the shows to shop for one.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-20-2018

I got some real bargains on 45st winches and a folding wheel at the Lewmar booth. Also picked up a dozen LED bulbs at a good price. Apparently Iíll need to wait for the Defender warehouse sale for a deal on the Simrad MFD/sonar/radar package.

It was my first time at the show. I had expected it to be large, but itís not much compared to Newport or Annapolis.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-21-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Again View Post
I got some real bargains on 45st winches and a folding wheel at the Lewmar booth. Also picked up a dozen LED bulbs at a good price. Apparently Iíll need to wait for the Defender warehouse sale for a deal on the Simrad MFD/sonar/radar package.

It was my first time at the show. I had expected it to be large, but itís not much compared to Newport or Annapolis.
Spill the beans what did you end up paying on those winches?
post #19 of 21 Old 02-21-2018

If I recall correctly, they were approx $925 each.
sailforlife likes this.
post #20 of 21 Old 02-21-2018
Freedom Chip Counter

I wonder if there's a better show on the West coast....Ft Myers or Tampa? Seems like a larger sailing culture on the Gulf side....I'll have to google...
sailforlife likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in