Stack Pack project - SailNet Community
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By DonScribner
  • 1 Post By paulinnanaimo
  • 1 Post By DonScribner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-04-2018 Thread Starter

Stack Pack project

Well, some might know that the Admiral and I stepped up in boat size last year. And as some also know, when you do that there are some things that the PO thought were fine . . .but you just need to do something about. The sail cover was one of those things. The boat has lazy jacks and your run-o-the-mill sail cover just doesn't fit well, especially 10+ years later. Long story short, we made a stack pack to pair with our lazy jacks using the instructional video on Sailrite.com. Actual out-of-pocket is about $100 though I sank more than that while buying supplies because I will be making cushions next. We are proud of the job that we did and I though I'd share with those who might be considering the same or similar. I made a few changes to the design but it is 98.7% Sailrite canon. There is one last thing to sew once I get it on the boat but that piece zips off and is only a couple of feet square.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1760.JPG   IMG_1762.JPG   IMG_1764.JPG   IMG_1799.JPG   IMG_1802.JPG  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-04-2018
Land lubber

Re: Stack Pack project

Nice work!
post #3 of 10 Old 02-04-2018

Looks suspiciously tidy for a work zone...are you sure that you really did that beautiful work?
sailforlife likes this.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
Well, some might know that the Admiral and I stepped up in boat size last year. And as some also know, when you do that there are some things that the PO thought were fine . . .but you just need to do something about. The sail cover was one of those things. The boat has lazy jacks and your run-o-the-mill sail cover just doesn't fit well, especially 10+ years later. Long story short, we made a stack pack to pair with our lazy jacks using the instructional video on Sailrite.com. Actual out-of-pocket is about $100 though I sank more than that while buying supplies because I will be making cushions next. We are proud of the job that we did and I though I'd share with those who might be considering the same or similar. I made a few changes to the design but it is 98.7% Sailrite canon. There is one last thing to sew once I get it on the boat but that piece zips off and is only a couple of feet square.
What machine are you using ? Is it also good for sails?
post #5 of 10 Old 02-04-2018

That looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 10 Old 02-04-2018

Nice work! Looks fantastic. I started with an old Pfaff 230 and sewed some really terrible cushion covers, I thought they were great at the time but looking back I did everything wrong lol. They have held up find but there are only a few actually strait seams! I didn't know to use a straight edge for the cutting so it was a crap show. That's how I learn is by giving it a go. Since then I've gotten 3 commercial machines, walking foots and quad step zig zag, and a serger. Sure as my wife says maybe I've gone a little over board, but I'm doing pretty good and branching out into motorcycle seats grips and saddle bags ect. Starting to make some money at it too!

Now I'm thinking I need to make a mainsail cover and dodger after seeing your project. Thanks for the inspiration!
post #7 of 10 Old 02-05-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailforlife View Post
What machine are you using ? Is it also good for sails?

We are using a 1981-ish Kenmore, that's all. Yes, it does well with sails. We made a mainsail for our Lancer 25 a few years ago. It sewed through up to 10 layers of Dacron and only complained a little. The trick is to use a machine that has metal gizzards as well as the proper type and size needle for the material. If you're looking for a machine, an older one like this that does a 4-point zig-zag is the way to go. I just picked up a 1961 Kenmore for $30. Works fine but needs a grease job. I'm pretty sure I can sew sheet steel with it.
sailforlife likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DonScribner For This Useful Post:
sailforlife (02-05-2018)
post #8 of 10 Old 02-05-2018

Great looking work.

I've considered a Sailrite stack pack, but from what I can see, the design is for a loose foot mainsail, and my mainsail has a bolt rope foot.
Has anyone got a design or photos of a stackpack on a bolt rope sail?
post #9 of 10 Old 02-05-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilott View Post
Great looking work.

I've considered a Sailrite stack pack, but from what I can see, the design is for a loose foot mainsail, and my mainsail has a bolt rope foot.
Has anyone got a design or photos of a stackpack on a bolt rope sail?
That's what mine is. I do have grommets at the foot that I passed shock cord through to tie the two halves together. Sailrite says they have the design for a bolt rope sail if you get the written instructions from them
The Following User Says Thank You to DonScribner For This Useful Post:
pilott (02-05-2018)
post #10 of 10 Old 02-06-2018

As someone else said, looks very tidy. Now before you put it on the boat, spray it down with 303 Fabric Guard. Periodic treatment will extend the waterproof life of the material. It's recommended by Sunbrella.

One other thing, and please don't shoot the messenger. Is it installed as far back as possible? Because you really don't want the clew of the main sticking out of the cover, and in the sun. Dacron is not as UV sensitive as any of the laminate sails. But UV will eventually soften the clew, and when that tears, the boom drops with a bang. Just FYI, Quantum did the same thing on our very expensive - but well built - stack pack. After getting it all installed, and the mainsail put on, realized it was too short and had to take it all off and add material to the end.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in