Bilge paint: any brands to favor or avoid? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 02-04-2018
Barquito

Re: Bilge paint: any brands to favor or avoid?

I would imagine the prep would predict success of the paint job much more than the quality of the paint. I've never painted a bilge, but, I would imagine it would be really difficult to prep on some boats. If there is rough roving, effective degreasing may be difficult, and sanding would be nearly impossible.

Valiant 32
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 02-06-2018

I've had a lot of luck with Bilgekote too, and I'm afraid to say my prep was minimal. Just cleaned the surfaces, that's all.

Shame the color range is so limited.
fallard likes this.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #13 of 23 Old 02-06-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Rustoleum. Been using it for 25yrs. One of the cheapest paints on the market and I've never seen it flake.
I hate you. I could eat off of those surfaces.

Rustoleum makes a lot of products. Exactly what did you use?

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

post #14 of 23 Old 02-11-2018
Senior Moment Member

Capta is right - prepping a bilge for paint is a lot of work because of all the goo that gets in it. Clean it again & again with degreasers - Spray Nine works well as do Zep products.

Finally, when you think it's clean, wipe it with solvent - acetone or lacquer thinner.

After that, spritz it with water and see if it still beads up - it probably will.

If so, rinse & repeat until it doesn't.

You don't want to sand it before it's squeaky clean or you'll sand the contaminants into the surface.

Not doing this is why you see flaking bilge paint.
boatpoker likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 02-11-2018 at 01:36 PM.
post #15 of 23 Old 05-27-2018 Thread Starter

Unfortunately, the followup on this thread is that I had a really bad experience with Interlux's Bilgekote. Quite honestly, it's exactly the kind of bad experience I was trying to avoid by asking this question in the first place.

Posting this really bothers me, as I'm worried that someone is going to come forward with something like "didn't you know that you have to kiln fire to get a good coating" or some other accusation that I applied the product wrong. I've gone over the process I followed multiple times and even re-did the entire application on a test piece to see if I could get a better result.

Unfortunately, I'm led to the conclusion that this product just isn't very good. More details in the video.

https://youtu.be/MSU88XMasjE
post #16 of 23 Old 05-28-2018

Bill,
Did you sand all the surfaces prior to applying bilgekote? It doesn't hold unless surface is sanded and cleaned with solvent.
oysterman23 likes this.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #17 of 23 Old 05-28-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Bill,
Did you sand all the surfaces prior to applying bilgekote? It doesn't hold unless surface is sanded and cleaned with solvent.
About a jillion people have asked a variant of this same question since I posted that video.

The answer is yes. I sanded all the surfaces and cleaned them with acetone before applying the primer. Then I sanded the primer and cleaned with acetone before applying the bilgekote.

I understand that surface prep is the most common reason for paint failure. I understood that prior to starting this paint job, and thus I've been meticulous about surface prep.

*shrug* at this point, I'm assuming I somehow got a bad batch of paint ... as unlikely as it seems. Nobody else has complained of problems. Many people have reiterated that the product worked well for them. Every piece of advice so far has been "better surface prep" without finding any flaw in the surface prep that I _did_ do.

I have to assume that this is just one of those weird cases where super bad luck screwed things up somehow.
post #18 of 23 Old 05-28-2018

That is odd. Even with a rush job on prep always had that stuff dry hard as a rock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
oysterman23 likes this.

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #19 of 23 Old 05-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
Unfortunately, the followup on this thread is that I had a really bad experience with Interlux's Bilgekote. Quite honestly, it's exactly the kind of bad experience I was trying to avoid by asking this question in the first place.

Posting this really bothers me, as I'm worried that someone is going to come forward with something like "didn't you know that you have to kiln fire to get a good coating" or some other accusation that I applied the product wrong. I've gone over the process I followed multiple times and even re-did the entire application on a test piece to see if I could get a better result.

Unfortunately, I'm led to the conclusion that this product just isn't very good. More details in the video.

https://youtu.be/MSU88XMasjE
I your video I see a can of 2333n solvent. did you use it in the Bilgekote? Bilgekote should be used with 333 solvent not 2333n which is for two part polyurethane paints and epoxy . it will slow the drying time down to the point where it will not harden up for many months.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #20 of 23 Old 05-28-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
I your video I see a can of 2333n solvent. did you use it in the Bilgekote? Bilgekote should be used with 333 solvent not 2333n which is for two part polyurethane paints and epoxy . it will slow the drying time down to the point where it will not harden up for many months.
The 2333n was used as a reducer for the Primer, per the instructions on the Primer.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in