Sailor

Re: Let the spending begin!!!

Take the boat out in 30+ wind you will figure out what is needed,
ThereYouAre likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 Old 02-05-2018

Begin? I thought I've seen several threads on work you're already having done to your stuffing box, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #23 of 39 Old 02-05-2018

A few books to answer your endless questions:

https://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Me...s=nigel+calder

https://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Bible...ible+for+boats

https://www.amazon.com/World-Cruisin...ruising+routes

https://www.amazon.com/PUB107-Atlas-...+south+pacific

https://www.amazon.com/Diving-Snorke...to+diving+fiji

Educate yourself!
sailforlife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

post #24 of 39 Old 02-05-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Begin? I thought I've seen several threads on work you're already having done to your stuffing box, etc.
Some are wants others necessities talking about wants. Stuffing box and stuff like that falls under necessities. My boat has no stuffing box at the moment so it won't float so thats a must. Wants like radar and solar and all that other stuff....

post #25 of 39 Old 02-05-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Start with fixing anything below the waterline.
Next, fix anything wrong with the mast and standing rigging.

Why? Keep the water out and the stick up. Everything else is just an inconvenience.
MikeOReilly and sailforlife like this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #26 of 39 Old 02-05-2018
Lake Sailor

I am thinking you are going to need more than $3K. New sails are more than that on that boat I am thinking. As we are not on your boat, you would probably be the best person to determine where your boat bucks go. I have a spreadsheet of all the things I want/need, isn't it always need? Anyway, never total up all the tabs as you will faint and never sail again. What condition are the sails in?
sailforlife likes this.

Umquam Porro

Seeker 1992 Beneteau First 235

post #27 of 39 Old 02-05-2018 Thread Starter

post #28 of 39 Old 02-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailforlife View Post
Some are wants others necessities talking about wants. Stuffing box and stuff like that falls under necessities. My boat has no stuffing box at the moment so it won't float so thats a must. Wants like radar and solar and all that other stuff....

Hold off on the "wants" for a while. It's only after really using the boat that you know what you need/want. Radar is a good example. Do you sail in a foggy or poorly charted area? If not, I wouldn't bother. You can (later!!) install AIS for a fraction of the price for collision avoidance with ships on your passages. Solar is more than a "want" today. It's a reletively small expense to keep your batteries healthy. Use the boat and get a handle on your power consumption. Then see how many watts of solar you need (or can fit).

An example... a friend bought a used boat and jumped headfirst into "upgrading" things before he started using the boat. It was a mistake. He blew most of his refit budget on painting the hull and decks, installing electronics he barely used or needed and a number of other mostly "cosmetic" things. Soon after he started using the boat he discovered he had to pull the engine for a partial re-build, the decks were waterlogged (balsa core!) and all kinds of other, more urgent, problems. The short of the story is that he had blown almost the entire re-fit budget already and didn't have the cash for the more pressing issues.

Fix/replace the essential- go sailing for while - see what you need/want - go back to the yard/dock/mooring and then get to work on the upgrades!

VindŲ 50
post #29 of 39 Old 02-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
....Radar is a good example. Do you sail in a foggy or poorly charted area? If not, I wouldn't bother. You can (later!!) install AIS for a fraction of the price for collision avoidance with ships on your passages.....
For singlehanding, I would consider radar more valuable than AIS....if you could only have one of them.
He'll get AIS in his new GX2200 VHF for $330.
post #30 of 39 Old 02-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
For singlehanding, I would consider radar more valuable than AIS....if you could only have one of them.
He'll get AIS in his new GX2200 VHF for $330.
Yes, but he'll blow his 3 grand on the radar alone...

I'm curious why you would prefer radar over AIS. Outside of foggy areas, I don't see much point (except perhaps to confirm a chart in poorly charted areas). I ended up removing and selling my radar unit and will replace it with AIS later. Radar is also bit of a power hog compared to AIS. I think the brilliant thing with AIS is receiving the ship's name, speed, course etc. at sea. That way you can call them on VHF by name and (usually) get a reply. It seems more effective at sea for dealing with ship traffic.
eherlihy likes this.

VindŲ 50

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in