Transducer Knowledge - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-09-2018 Thread Starter

Transducer Knowledge

Got any? I don't and I need to replace my thru hull and sounder before spring. I am thinking a new Lowrance GPS/Fish finder would make the most sense, cost wise but how do I tell if the transducer is compatible with the unit? I get the frequency thing but can I use a non-Chirp trans on a GPS with that capacity? Is there a special pin configuration to look for. I'm really getting frustrated at the whole thing. Getting the correct info, even from the transducer manufacturers is like pulling teeth. Most of the guys I contacted think that a thru hull shoots thru the hull!!!!! OMG!

ANyway, if anybody could help me figure this out it would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-10-2018

Why not get rid of the thru hull and go with a shoot through?

There is a thread on sailboat owners right now telling how easy it is to mount the transom mount transducer that comes with most fishfinders inside a sailboat hull.

I'm dealing with this now as my old standard horizon depth sounder works well but the display is so fogged and crazed that it is almost unreadable. I just bought a Garmin echo plotter/fishfinder and will try to mount the transducer inside.
copacabana likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-10-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Transducer Knowledge

i've done that twice with limited success. On the first one, I epoxied the trans to the hull. Worked for a while then the sounder died. SO i bought another. This time I used silicone to seal a plumbing fitting to the hull, filled it with mineral spirits and immersed the trans in it. Basically, it's useless. It works about 50% of the time but then I get "- - - " and nothing. May or may not be the trans. With my new boat, I want to replace the thru hull because it makes sense. But the electronics I'm looking at only come with transom mounts (couldn't me more useless to me). I need to know what to look for to be sure the thru hull will work with the sounder.

post #4 of 12 Old 02-10-2018
Learning the HARD way...

My old DataMarine unit had a through-hull transducer, and it never worked right. I would see the depth jump from 10 feet to 3.5 feet in an instant. Because I draw 5 feet, this was unacceptable, so I replaced it with a Garmin Echo200 unit, and I used silicone to bond the Garmin transducer to the hull.

I did this AFTER I verified that I had a good mounting location. To test the mounting location I filled a ziploc bag with water and placed the water-filled bag in a likely spot against the hull. I then put the transducer on top of the bag and fired up the unit. If I had an inaccurate depth reading, then the spot was no good, if the reading was accurate, the spot was ok. I was limited by the length of the cable, and mounted the transducer on the port side of my keel.

I have since upgraded from the Garmin unit to a Raymarine color unit (eS78 with integrated Down Vue chirp transducer if you are curious), and have been able to mount the CPT-100 transducer to the hull (using epoxy - because I'm not moving it) just in front of the leading edge of my keel. Again, I tested the location before mounting. This has been my setup for the past year and a half, and it works perfectly.

While some newer through-hull transducers can give speed through the water as well as water temperature, I do not miss not having these features. I prefer to have one less hole in my hull.
RegisteredUser likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
Why not get rid of the thru hull and go with a shoot through?

There is a thread on sailboat owners right now telling how easy it is to mount the transom mount transducer that comes with most fishfinders inside a sailboat hull.

I'm dealing with this now as my old standard horizon depth sounder works well but the display is so fogged and crazed that it is almost unreadable. I just bought a Garmin echo plotter/fishfinder and will try to mount the transducer inside.
I did this 10 or so years ago on a different boat - transom mount transducer in silicon just forward and to the side of the keel.
Worked well...no problems.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-10-2018
Master Mariner

It is my understanding that almost all the transducers are Airmar, all pretty much the same for all manufacturers (except possibly frequency) and in many cases all you need is an adapter to connect it to another unit (different prong connections?). Sorry, I have no specific info on your gear, but customer service of the unit you are considering, should be able to help.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 12 Old 02-14-2018

On my last boat I mounted a transom mount garmin echomap transducer to the inside of the hull with epoxy with total success. A couple notes:

-I tried the ziplok bag trick to no avail, I found a spot I figured would work fine (no keel interference) and used plumbers putty (the kind in a tub) to build a "dam" in the shape of the transducer plus about an inch of space around it. I fill that dam with water and dropped the transducer in it and when I got a clear signal I marked the spot and cleaned the water up.
-I sanded the spot with 80grit and wiped with acetone, then mixed up some G-flex epoxy and "wetted" the surface inside the "dam perimeter" and then put the transducer into it carefully (so there would be no air bubbles). I then poured the rest of the G-flex into the dam to completely submerge the transducer in it.
-I tested the sonar, all was good reading 6ft and CAREFULLY left the boat and waited for it to cure.

No issues. I plan to do the same with my new boat.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

post #8 of 12 Old 02-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
On my last boat I mounted a transom mount garmin echomap transducer to the inside of the hull with epoxy with total success. A couple notes:

-I tried the ziplok bag trick to no avail, I found a spot I figured would work fine (no keel interference) and used plumbers putty (the kind in a tub) to build a "dam" in the shape of the transducer plus about an inch of space around it. I fill that dam with water and dropped the transducer in it and when I got a clear signal I marked the spot and cleaned the water up.
-I sanded the spot with 80grit and wiped with acetone, then mixed up some G-flex epoxy and "wetted" the surface inside the "dam perimeter" and then put the transducer into it carefully (so there would be no air bubbles). I then poured the rest of the G-flex into the dam to completely submerge the transducer in it.
-I tested the sonar, all was good reading 6ft and CAREFULLY left the boat and waited for it to cure.

Great advice. The putty well filled with water allows you to test the location properly before fixing the transducer to the spot permanently. It's a good idea to test it with the boat stationary and underway. I did the same thing, but used silicone to fix the transducer in place (actually, 2 of them, as I have a GPS depth and fishfinder). The advantage of silicone is that you can easily remove the transducer in the future. The key, whether using silicone or epoxy, is to ensure there are no air bubbles under the transducer. Perhaps the OP's initial lack of success with a shoot-through was due to bubbles...

Vindö 50
post #9 of 12 Old 02-16-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post

Interesting that the ziplock bag trick did not work for you. I have used it twice, and am happy with the results. As I recall, I also used a length of blue painters tape to tightly hold the transducer in position and the bag against the hull.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #10 of 12 Old 02-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Interesting that the ziplock bag trick did not work for you. I have used it twice, and am happy with the results. As I recall, I also used a length of blue painters tape to tightly hold the transducer in position and the bag against the hull.
The hull of my last boat and a friend's both failed with the ziplok. The best I figure though is the hull on both had light dimpling texture to it from the layers of glass mat. Maybe that slight texture held microscopic airbubbles breaking the contact.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in