Bottom Paint - SailNet Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By chef2sail
  • 1 Post By colemj
  • 1 Post By wind cree

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-11-2018 Thread Starter

Bottom Paint

OK.. I'm pretty sure I'm opening a can or worms with this. But what the heck.

I'd like some suggestions for bottom paint. After my first season on my new to me boat (Pearson 28) my bottom was a MESS. Slime Barnacles etc. I used Interlux NT per the recommendation of the previous owner. I'm thinking I'm needing a better bottom paint. Been shopping around and I've been told Sea Hawk AF-33 and Interlux Fiberglass bottom coat aqua are two medium grade paints that work well. Has anyone used either of these? I'm located in Narragansett Bay and the boat is used regularly and for the most part does not sit for long periods of time. She is on a mooring in very protected cove..

ALSO..

Big problem with barnacles forming on the prop. To the point it's almost un distinguishable as a prop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-11-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Bottom Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind cree View Post
OK.. I'm pretty sure I'm opening a can or worms with this. But what the heck.

I'd like some suggestions for bottom paint. After my first season on my new to me boat (Pearson 28) my bottom was a MESS. Slime Barnacles etc. I used Interlux NT per the recommendation of the previous owner. I'm thinking I'm needing a better bottom paint. Been shopping around and I've been told Sea Hawk AF-33 and Interlux Fiberglass bottom coat aqua are two medium grade paints that work well. Has anyone used either of these? I'm located in Narragansett Bay and the boat is used regularly and for the most part does not sit for long periods of time. She is on a mooring in very protected cove..

ALSO..

Big problem with barnacles forming on the prop. To the point it's almost un distinguishable as a prop.
We use Petit Ultima 60 an ablative. Last us 2-3 years and boat stays in the water. After year 3 comes out.
If you use and ablative you can pull it out every winter and still put in back in the following spring. A hard coat paint you can’t do that and must repaint every time you pull it. Also hard coat you should heavily sand it off or you’ll have layers of paint. Ablative most of it is gone when you repaint

Either way we have a diver go down and wipe the slime off twice a year and also clear up the prop and shaft. While you can use something like pro speed (us) to the petit product it will only last on3 year with mixed results the longer it is on. The prop speed we use generally lasts through the first season with very little growth.

Chesapeake where we are has major growth and probably is similar in salinity as where you moor.

You need to have a diver planned or at least a short haul for a power wash during the season.
sailforlife likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #3 of 8 Old 12-05-2018 Thread Starter

For what it's worth I wanted to update this post. I ended up settling on Total Boat Spartan. After a long Spring, Summer and Fall she just came out and the bottom is near perfect. Maybe 4 barnacles near the rudder. Minor slime that came right off with a hose. And I only dove on her once this season to clean the barnacles off the prop shaft. A boat moored near mine was in terrible shape with a LOT of barnacles.. Think I'm going to stick with Total Boat Spartan.
Thanks for the responses.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-05-2018

Huh, never heard of that one. Glad it is working for you.

2.5yrs ago, we needed to slap on some new bottom paint to hold us for what we thought would be 6 months before we were going to haul out for some other work and repaint. So we went to the local PPG paint store and bought some Ameron ABC3 bottom paint for $90/gal.

Well, things went different than planned, and we ended up not hauling out and staying in the water. The bottom stayed perfectly clean, except for 5 months at a dock in FL, where we had to scrape off only a light load of barnacles. After 2yrs, I started to need to wipe slime off it every 3 weeks or so.

Time to paint again, so went to a PPG paint store and bought more at $92/gal (apparently, they raised their prices in the past couple of years).

Very surprised at how well it worked, being the least expensive bottom paint I've ever bought. FWIW, the boat spent the entire time in Florida and the Bahamas.

Mark
RegisteredUser likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #5 of 8 Old 12-05-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Huh, never heard of that one. Glad it is working for you.

2.5yrs ago, we needed to slap on some new bottom paint to hold us for what we thought would be 6 months before we were going to haul out for some other work and repaint. So we went to the local PPG paint store and bought some Ameron ABC3 bottom paint for $90/gal.

Well, things went different than planned, and we ended up not hauling out and staying in the water. The bottom stayed perfectly clean, except for 5 months at a dock in FL, where we had to scrape off only a light load of barnacles. After 2yrs, I started to need to wipe slime off it every 3 weeks or so.

Time to paint again, so went to a PPG paint store and bought more at $92/gal (apparently, they raised their prices in the past couple of years).

Very surprised at how well it worked, being the least expensive bottom paint I've ever bought. FWIW, the boat spent the entire time in Florida and the Bahamas.

Mark
Yea I'm finding that there are a lot of bottom paint suggestions. As many as the number of people asked. I talked to a few old salts at my yacht club and Total Boat turned out to be the most quoted response. I didn't hear of it before either. But I'll remember it now. I've also found just because a paint works for one boat it may not work for another. Previous owner loved Interlux NT and used it exclusively on this boat. I tried it and it was terrible. (sounds like I screwed up in the application) And it cost $90. I don't know why Spartan works but I'm not asking questions.. LOL Oh yea... next season all I have to do is touch up a few areas. Pain is really solid on most of the hull.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind cree View Post
Pain is really solid on most of the hull.
Consider yourself lucky - I've got two hulls of solid pain...

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

post #7 of 8 Old 12-05-2018

TRINIDAD RED SR Problems solved.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailforlife View Post
TRINIDAD RED SR Problems solved.
How long has the hull with that paint been in the water?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in