All is lost movie - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 Old 02-14-2018

Ya want reality ? Watch a documentary on pbs , want to escape reality ? Watch a movie . I get enough reality every day from the people driving like idiots to jobs they hate but will mow you down to get there , dealing with a tooling job thatís not running in a machine , picking up the dog droppings , salting the walkway so my wife doesnít fall when she gets home , figuring out how Iím going to fit my hand behind the cabinets in the head to route the new sanitation hoses... so if a Hollywood movie isnít accurate to real life , so long as Iím entertained all is right with the world .. days of thunder isnít an accurate account of nascar cup racing , but Iíll park my butt and watch it to forget life for a while . Though it Would have been better if redford had a soccer ball like tom hanks did in cast away......
RegisteredUser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 02-14-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Re: All is lost movie

Odd movie about a man dealing with alcoholism and depression.
Life choices.

To say that it has anything to do with boats and sailing, is like saying Moby Dick was book about whales.

It wasn't, not really.
post #13 of 25 Old 02-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Or, was that supposed to be the hand of god, after he died? Yea, some think so. I can appreciate film with a mysterious drama, but this just wasn't well done at all. Corny even.
I read somewhere an interview with the director (I think) where he said it was the hand of god. He said he thought it was pretty clear, including the aura/halo that he was dead and ascending to heaven.

But if you have to research the meaning of the most poingent moment, the climax, well then the movie was pretty poorly done on many terms.

And HALF of Mo h Dick was about whales, the interesting half. The rest was about some nutty guys and their angst.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

post #14 of 25 Old 02-14-2018

Ironically, artsy film critics loved it. Despair is a self indulgent past time for that crowd. But itís total gross domestic box office was $6mm. Yes, a fraction of a good opening day for a blockbuster. Dud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #15 of 25 Old 02-14-2018

I always thought Moby Dick was about greed, vengeance and mans insatiable need to plunder the environment in pursuit of the former. Whaling was so out of control at the time that the atlantic andd eastern pacific had been pretty much whaled out, which sent the Essex from New England out into the middle of the pacific by way of Cape Horn in pursuit of a hold full of blubber resulting in ship wreck, murder for cannibalism and most of the crews deaths.

All is lost is about Robert Redford sinking his yacht after bumping into a container.
MikeOReilly likes this.
post #16 of 25 Old 02-14-2018

Moby Dick has a number of chapters dedicated to describing the whaling industry and ports visited. That part I liked.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #17 of 25 Old 02-14-2018 Thread Starter

Has anyone ever hit a container or odd objects like that in open water that has cause big damage like on the movie?
The Following User Says Thank You to sailforlife For This Useful Post:
robtrayus (02-14-2018)
post #18 of 25 Old 02-14-2018
still boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailforlife View Post
Has anyone ever hit a container or odd objects like that in open water that has cause big damage like on the movie?
LMGTFY
willyd and MastUndSchotbruch like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to WharfRat For This Useful Post:
sailforlife (02-14-2018)
post #19 of 25 Old 02-14-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat View Post
wow that **** was crazy!
post #20 of 25 Old 02-15-2018

Do you look for anything before you post? Or is it just a knee jerk reaction to whatever pops into your head? There IS a search function. You CAN look for the answers to MOST of your questions.
PS . I really hope this isn't how you are "learning" to sail or you WILL end up as one of these statistics.

That is a horse head in the box. Not an alien!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in