All is lost movie - SailNet Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 02-13-2018 Thread Starter

All is lost movie

Watching All is lost what do you seasoned sailors think of the movie????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-13-2018
Master Mariner

Re: All is lost movie

It really isn't a movie about sailing. It could have been set on a mountain climb, in a desert or as a backwoods tale. It is a story about the psychology of a man in difficult, unfamiliar and disastrous circumstances.
I get so tired of all the criticisms of the sailing stuff, especially by those who have never been in any sort of extreme circumstances, on a boat or in real life.
Like the shaving scene. It is totally logical for someone that out of his depth and totally exhausted, to stop and do something so familiar and steadying as shaving; something he has probably done almost every day of his adult life. A reboot, if you will. I like a hot shower to reboot.
So, don't let the sailing inconsistencies ruin your enjoyment of of the movie.
Slayer and sailforlife like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 25 Old 02-14-2018
Old soul

Sorry Capta, but I couldn’t get beyond the silly sailing stuff. They take all this time and effort to portray a realistic boat, crew and situation. Then they have the guy do incredibly stupid things, and allow for impossible solutions. Why go through all the initial effort, only to Hollywood it up?

Bah… silly movie. Enjoyed the sailing and cruising parts. The rest was a waste...
boatpoker likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 Old 02-14-2018

The jury has been back on this movie for years. It was total bomb at the box office. It opened to such poor reviews, it never even made it to mass distribution.

It's not a sailing movie any more than Titanic was a movie about navigation. However, they either didn't have a competent sailing advisor to keep out the grossly obvious distractions, or even more likely, had a producer/director that didn't care. Whether that matters is up to you.

The movie was still poorly done, poorly reviewed and poorly sold. Redford blamed the distributor, not the lousy movie. That says it all.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 25 Old 02-14-2018

You're in a storm, you have water pouring in a hole the size of an envelope; Do you:

a) Stare at it haplessly
c) Go back to bad and sleep over 2 feet of water
4) tie a rope to a pillow, stuff it in through the hole and tie it off to stem the life ebbing flow of water?

You notice a massive storm, 2 miles off, while trying to turn a finger-tighten connection with a crescent wrench. Do YOu:

7) Hurry down the mast to prepare for the storm that you should have been watching for days
12) Set your dinghy ablaze as a rescue effort
c) Set all sails then decide to hank on a storm try in the worst of it causing you to be washed overboard and nearly drowned by doing your shark-trolling-bait impression while dangling at the end of your safety line which should have been shortened to keep you aboard.

I don't blue-water sail but even I found the movie to be insulting, ludicrous, and completely unrealistic. The worst part of the movie, the most disappointing scene, was when he sees the light and takes his rescuer's hand and actually lives through the experience. He didn't deserve it.

Just one man's opinion.
post #6 of 25 Old 02-14-2018
still boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailforlife View Post

I think you need to master the "Search" function so you can read all the pre-existing threads on this topic, such as

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/introd...-all-lost.html

and

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...ost-movie.html

and

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/genera...st-thread.html

just to name a few.
eherlihy, willyd and cb32863 like this.
post #7 of 25 Old 02-14-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:

Let's just say that you shouldn't treat it as a documentary.
capta and sailforlife like this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #8 of 25 Old 02-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
.....the most disappointing scene, was when he sees the light and takes his rescuer's hand and actually lives through the experience.....
Or, was that supposed to be the hand of god, after he died? Yea, some think so. I can appreciate film with a mysterious drama, but this just wasn't well done at all. Corny even.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 25 Old 02-14-2018
bell ringer

Quote:

I enjoyed it and like the movie and didn't get caught up in the sailing/boating errors. Just like I don't get caught up is space movies that have mixed species "people"etc.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #10 of 25 Old 02-14-2018
Administrator

I am not going to comment on this movie in particular, but more about the way that Hollywood treats sailing in general. As sailors we know that there are real life dramas in sailing. Any of us who have ever read a decent account of some sailing adventure understands that the boat and the sailing is only one supporting character in any sailing adventure. In any fact based sea story, the reality contains a mix of pathos, comedy, natural beauty, crisis and solutions, emotions and reason, the events unfolding in real time, and the emotional baggage and experiences brought aboard in the minds of the ship's crew, the known and unknown, the anticipated and the surprising, the impact of decisions vs. luck and fate, technology and the human spirit and ingenuity. It is in the genuine portrayal of that mix that makes a good sea story a tale that even a non-sailor can relate to and enjoy.

Yet when Hollywood gets these stories, they feel the need to ignore the realities of sailing and boats and create totally fictitious and unrealistic portrayals of the sea, boats and sailing. And the really weird thing is that these fantasy versions of sailing often start from riveting books telling true stories. So for example, 'All is Lost' began life with Steve Callahan's book, 'Adrift' which tells Callahan's amazing story of survival, ingenuity, and of the human spirit. A literal telling of Callahan's story would have been a powerful movie.

Similarly the movie 'Wind' is based on the book 'America 3' (America cubed) that tells the amazing story of the 1992 America's cup campaign by Bill Koch and Harry "Buddy" Melges which ultimately resulted in 1992 America's Cup win by the Defender 'America3'. In reality, Bill Koch (the third Koch Brother) fought his way out of being tied to his brother's finances, and then decides to put together an America's defender team from scratch. That team uses a large number of people who have not been involved in an America's Cup, brings in people from other disciplines such as aircraft aerodynamic theorists and material engineering, sports trainers, and ergonomic engineers, to rethink how a boat should be designed and constructed. They invented such items as 'Cuban fabric' which was the first successful carbon fiber sail cloth. The came up with a new way to construct carbon fiber spars and make connections to carbon fiber masts and booms which is why CF spars have become much more affordable and common. They were big underdogs and the racing was pretty close. Buddy Melges is reputedly an ingenious, colorful guy with a clever wit. Its a really good story.

But the movie 'Wind' takes the book and chooses to turn the sailing part completely upside down, making the sea story part of the story unrecognizable to anyone who knows anything about sailboat racing. the America's cup, and the source of this story. In doing so, the movie became a cliche ridden fantasy.

And such is the case with most movies that involve sailboats and the sea.

And so to me, movies like these are not sailing stories and so not really related to a topic for sailing forum that would normally interest me.

Jeff
capecodda, Ajax_MD, capta and 2 others like this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-14-2018 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in