Steer me to a good tap and die set? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 03-15-2018

Re: Steer me to a good tap and die set?

I would not use a drill at your experience level. The Tee handle should work just fine. Keeping the tap perpendicular while turning it is the biggest problem for those who do not have a lot of experience in tapping. When I was in die maker school one of our initial projects was a small tap square (the legs were about 2" long) that could be held against the tap body to check the perpendicularity. If you can find a drill bushing the size of the tap it makes it much easier to quickly tap a hole but outside of a machine shop or factory not many people have access to them. You can probably get a tap drill chart at your local hardware store or online. You probably don't need more than a 60% thread for most purposes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 03-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
An alternative to redrill and tap might be an adapter plate at each site. Existing holes for the old bolt pattern and new threaded holes for the new pattern. The mounts would be say 1/2 "higher so adjust for the new engine.requirements .Just a thought...
Yes that is a very good alternative if there is space to allow for it. Leave the original embedded steel intact with no new holes in the steel or stringers.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-16-2018

I my opinion, cheap Taps and dies are a waste of money. But a good set is really expensive.
I have a "decent" set of Irwin Hanson so that I always have a tap if I need it or a die to clean up a thread - current cost about $170.
For specific projects I look on e-bay and find one or two individual Morse taps in the appropriate size.
You can also find small sets of about 10 Morse taps with the matching drill bits for about $100 +/-
And +1 for TapMagic

"The great thing about the internet is that you can quote anyone and no one will bother to check the source" - Aristotle

post #14 of 14 Old 03-16-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
For mild steel use #8305A4 high speed steel tap, use a t handle if you are new to tapping. drill size 8.5 mm #28255A55 short drill bit they are stronger and less likely to break. these are the ones I order for 10mm by 1.5 thread. these are what we buy for our machine shop.
Overbored, I can't thank you enough. Nothing like specific recommendations from a guy who does this for a living. I've ordered two taps and three bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
An alternative to redrill and tap might be an adapter plate at each site. Existing holes for the old bolt pattern and new threaded holes for the new pattern. The mounts would be say 1/2 "higher so adjust for the new engine.requirements .Just a thought...
That was actually my original plan, since my engine bearers do need to be raised a little. I went as far as to purchase 1/4" steel plates for the job. But somehow, I came around to the idea of using 3/8" G10 plates, epoxying them down, drilling through them, and tapping into the embedded plates. That seemed to me like the most sturdy, solid way to go ... but what do I know.

What I'm REALLY after is whatever will make the alignment process easier!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in