SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Best Value Propane Stove / tank / system (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/31758-best-value-propane-stove-tank-system.html)

geary126 04-24-2007 03:24 PM

Best Value Propane Stove / tank / system

Anybody have any picks for an economical, somewhat turnkey setup for stove/ tank system for a Catalina 30? (aside from coleman stove)

Have some sort of alcohol system that scares the hell out of me, now.

Would rather go quickly, with warm food in tummy.

Merci.

sharkbait 04-24-2007 05:10 PM

STARWINDY 04-24-2007 05:16 PM

i have been using a coleman for years...never had any complaints.

goose327 04-24-2007 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkbait
Sorry to break it to you dude,but, Coleman is the answer.My first was a dual
burner $35 model,after 3 years I decided to stop cleaning it and just bought a new one.$85 single burner with grill.The great thing about the $3 disposable bottles is that they don't hold enough propane to blow up your boat.

While I agree 100% about the single burner Coleman I sure hope the last sentance was typed in jest.
Though my boat is considerably smaller I carry 2 stoves, the Coleman single and a butane single which uses the small(spray paint size) cans. Both stoves stow easy and give you 10K btu. I use the Coleman and a cast iron grill pan in the cockpit instead of a BBQ(not much room on a 23' boat for a Q).

STARWINDY 04-24-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goose327
While I agree 100% about the single burner Coleman I sure hope the last sentance was typed in jest.
Though my boat is considerably smaller I carry 2 stoves, the Coleman single and a butane single which uses the small(spray paint size) cans. Both stoves stow easy and give you 10K btu. I use the Coleman and a cast iron grill pan in the cockpit instead of a BBQ(not much room on a 23' boat for a Q).

Dale, i have a 22ft and have a self-made rail mounting device that secures a Weber on the rail. It's been the best addition to the boat and as long as you aren't rockin' the dogs seem to stay put allright.

geary126 04-24-2007 05:34 PM

Okay. But in case the Admiral lets me write a check, any suggestions for a "real" setup?

goose327 04-24-2007 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STARWINDY
Dale, i have a 22ft and have a self-made rail mounting device that secures a Weber on the rail. It's been the best addition to the boat and as long as you aren't rockin' the dogs seem to stay put allright.

No rails either,,LOL. TEAK baby teak. It was all I could do to put 4 screws in each side for the rod holder mounts. I'm still trying to figure out how to mount downriggers.:D

sailingdog 04-24-2007 05:43 PM

Just don't store the propane canisters for it below decks... they should be in a fuel locker that drains overboard. Those little canisters of propane are bombs waiting to go off.

STARWINDY 04-24-2007 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goose327
No rails either,,LOL. TEAK baby teak. It was all I could do to put 4 screws in each side for the rod holder mounts. I'm still trying to figure out how to mount downriggers.:D

Here is one that looks like the lease mountable damage.... but without rails it may be tough...however I do recall seeing one that the mount goes into a rod holder.

Portable Grill, Portable Gas Grills, Portable Barbecue Grills, Electric Grill, Grill 4 All

grill4all dot com

goose327 04-24-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geary126
Okay. But in case the Admiral lets me write a check, any suggestions for a "real" setup?

I don't know what was in your boat origionally but these RV stoves look good and the prices aren't too bad.
WedgeWood Range/Stove at the Wedgewood RV Stove Source