Does this bilge look normal? - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 04-28-2018 Thread Starter

Does this bilge look normal?

Hi All,

My first boat purchase. C-28.

The bilge pump is located forward, but water first collects aft.

Is this normal? Or is there no normal?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7081.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-28-2018
Barquito

Re: Does this bilge look normal?

Couple ideas: If the boat isn't in the water yet, maybe it is blocked at an angle to help the cockpit drain, or if it is in the water, isn't sitting on her lines. It is also possible that that bilge pump was only intended to kick in when water gets a little higher. On my boat, the lowest sump has a hose to a manual pump. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have two pumps, anyway. A small one to sip up small amounts of water more regularly, and a larger one that would only kick in if there was an unusual amount of water in the bilge.
capta likes this.

Valiant 32
post #3 of 12 Old 04-28-2018 Thread Starter

It's in the water. There is a 25gal water tank forward which I believe is empty.

I like the idea of two pumps. Would I be laughed at?

post #4 of 12 Old 04-28-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa2c View Post
I like the idea of two pumps. Would I be laughed at?
Not at all, in fact it's a common and often recommended setup, to have a large main pump and a smaller sipping one.

Horizons Found
1976 Newport 28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-28-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa2c View Post
Would I be laughed at?
For what? Having a manual back up pump? Folks would be laughing at you if you didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #6 of 12 Old 04-29-2018

Folks who don't have a backup high capacity pump may envy you after a while. The extra capacity pump along with the batteries to power it in an emergency could make the difference between getting a hull-thru plug in place and limping home or calling for a rescue and salvaging the boat.

Do what you feel is prudent to be safe and win the battle against gravity for a while longer.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-29-2018

Install another pump. I heard a saying I like, two is one and one is none. Works great well for Sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oysterman23 likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-29-2018

If I understand the pic i think you need to locate that pump to the low point in your bilge, where the water collects, whereever that is. ALso ensure that the limber holes connecting the bilge compartments are clear.

But I'd suggest that you consider two pumps. one small capacity for nusiance water, and another higher up and of larger capacity. Eventually that pump or switch will fail, and at that point you want a backup. I have a small pump as low as possible. it runs occasionally for short periods of time. The second, larger pump is mounted higher and should never run (if it does tun there is a problem). Since it runs so infrequently it lasts a long time. I check both pumps and both switches each time I leave my boat.

we all have lots opinions on brands and types of pumps and switches. The fact is that eventually the pump or the switch will fail, and you'll be happy to have that secondary when it does.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #9 of 12 Old 04-29-2018

Catalina 28 has a manual pump in place also, only source for water should be the stuffing box so it travels from aft under the engine forward to the bilge. Float switch only triggers when there's a few inches in the bilge and can only get it down to 1/2 inch or so. It's pretty normal, in fact, it's a little dry, pump couldn't have got it that dry on it's own. Most Catalina's do drain to forward end of the bilge, perhaps this one is down at the stern.

"Just call me TB"

Last edited by capttb; 04-29-2018 at 11:20 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-29-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Two pimps is the norm....plus a manual.
There are limber holes present correct.
bristol299bob likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Tags
bilge keel

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in