Riveter: what's it worth paying for? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 05-13-2018

Re: Riveter: what's it worth paying for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
Some background: As I refit the boat, I'm slowly trying to acquire the tools I'll need/want once I'm full-time cruising.

A lot of these are easy decisions. Needs lots of tools relating to the engine, electrical, and fiberglass work. I feel it's totally worth the money to invest in good quality tools for things like that that I'll need often, and may need in an emergency.

So, now I'm about to install my new radar, and it's designed to be mounted to the mast with 3/16" pop rivets.

I don't have a pop rivet tool, and at that size, there are a few interesting choices, such as the cheapo Lowes deal:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Arrow-Faste...t-Tool/1194941

The slightly more expensive heavy-duty Lowes deal:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/K-Tool-Inte...-Tool/50374298

Or, the hog-wild high-end pantograph model with cruise control and heated bucket seats:

https://jet.com/product/POP-PS25-POP...iABEgKLkPD_BwE

Now, let me say that I'm not afraid of spending $150 on a tool that I will need and use. But I haven't seen a whole lot of need for riveting as I've worked on the boat this winter. If I buy the cheapo tool and it's a PoS and I just throw it away after installing the radar, would I regret not having it at some point? It's just one of those tools where it's not immediately obvious if I'll need it ever again after this one use.

Unfortunately, I also can't find a tool rental place that will rent me one, and I can't seem to find any friends that have one of that size to borrow.

So, to those who have been cruising and/or owned their boats for a long period of time: how often do you need a pop rivet tool? Do you find the more expensive ones to be worth the money?

Id buy a Marson HP 2 and the rivets you think you will need ! Probably around $ 30.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 05-13-2018

Yes the red handle makes if faster than the blue or yellow. ;>

Here is what I basically have been using:

The $12 Arrow fixed head gun is all that's needed and its a long nose model which helps along with being a fast red one.
https://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Fastene...V2Z8DJXZEBMVK0
The Following User Says Thank You to SeaStar58 For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (05-13-2018)
post #13 of 16 Old 05-13-2018

Harbor Freight: https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-...tle-66422.html

Mark

Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to colemj For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (05-13-2018)

post #14 of 16 Old 05-14-2018

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.

Unless you are doing really big rivets, or are doing hundreds of them, the arrows or similar are fine. I've had mine for 20 years (Craftsman) and never had an issue, although I am looking for a riv-nut tool, but that is another thread.

Lou
post #15 of 16 Old 05-17-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

I also have an old Craftsman, similar size to the Swingline. Works perfectly well for common rivet sizes in small quantity.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-17-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Another vote for the cheapie... I have one in MA and one in FL. I probably use each of them once per year, and they do everything that I expect them to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in