Riveter: what's it worth paying for? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-12-2018 Thread Starter

Riveter: what's it worth paying for?

Some background: As I refit the boat, I'm slowly trying to acquire the tools I'll need/want once I'm full-time cruising.

A lot of these are easy decisions. Needs lots of tools relating to the engine, electrical, and fiberglass work. I feel it's totally worth the money to invest in good quality tools for things like that that I'll need often, and may need in an emergency.

So, now I'm about to install my new radar, and it's designed to be mounted to the mast with 3/16" pop rivets.

I don't have a pop rivet tool, and at that size, there are a few interesting choices, such as the cheapo Lowes deal:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Arrow-Faste...t-Tool/1194941
The slightly more expensive heavy-duty Lowes deal:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/K-Tool-Inte...-Tool/50374298
Or, the hog-wild high-end pantograph model with cruise control and heated bucket seats:
https://jet.com/product/POP-PS25-POP...iABEgKLkPD_BwE

Now, let me say that I'm not afraid of spending $150 on a tool that I will need and use. But I haven't seen a whole lot of need for riveting as I've worked on the boat this winter. If I buy the cheapo tool and it's a PoS and I just throw it away after installing the radar, would I regret not having it at some point? It's just one of those tools where it's not immediately obvious if I'll need it ever again after this one use.

Unfortunately, I also can't find a tool rental place that will rent me one, and I can't seem to find any friends that have one of that size to borrow.

So, to those who have been cruising and/or owned their boats for a long period of time: how often do you need a pop rivet tool? Do you find the more expensive ones to be worth the money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-12-2018
Master Mariner

Re: Riveter: what's it worth paying for?

I have a cheap rivet tool and I really should just throw it out, 'cause it doesn't do the job well. However, as you are posturing, I so seldom need a rivet tool, it seems a waste to buy an expensive one. Until I do need it!
I have 7 different tool kits, and a bunch of others tools, like both manual and hydraulic crimpers for cable/wire to 2/0 and a 4 ton Porta-Power, stashed about the boat; the frequently used tools are in a tool box in the engine room. Most I use so rarely I often forget I have them until I need them.
So it seems I, a pack rat, am the wrong one to ask. lol

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (05-12-2018)
post #3 of 16 Old 05-12-2018

Dock

I use the el cheapo one. It will pull 3/16 SS rivets. I won't be fun, but it will do the job. If you haven't found more need for pop rivets, spend the extra money on something more useful. The others work better, but for a handful of rivets, I wouldn't worry about the cheapie.

(I only use el cheapo when I forget my hydraulic pop rivet tool at the shop.)

Edit- DO NOT MASH YOUR FINGERS BETWEEN THE GRIPS. On the plus side, it is self correcting. You will not forget ;-)

Last edited by KayakerChuck; 05-12-2018 at 07:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KayakerChuck For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (05-13-2018)

post #4 of 16 Old 05-12-2018

The second two mentioned can set a bigger rivet.
The Following User Says Thank You to ggray For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (05-13-2018)
post #5 of 16 Old 05-12-2018

Arrow RHT300 should be all you would ever need, well that and an assortment of rivets. It's not like you are going to be riveting all day every day and if you were you wouldn't be using a manual riveter. So unless you've just got money to burn spend the 25 or 30 bucks for this one and save your money for a quality cordless drill with an assortment of quality bits. There's a little Makita that's B.A. for $250 or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to contrarian For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (05-13-2018)
post #6 of 16 Old 05-12-2018

For a handy rivet tool you need a tool with a long snout so you can get into tight places, also with long handles so you have the leverage to properly install stainless rivets, interchangeable guides so you can set smaller or larger rivets, and one with a ratcheting mechanism is handy too. You should be able to get all of these features plus an assortment of rivets and a storage case for under $50.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky Mountain Breeze For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (05-13-2018)
post #7 of 16 Old 05-12-2018

Unless your working in a very confined space there is no need for the swivel and the more plain version long nose Arrow that is less than $20 will do the job. Nice thing about the cheaper ones is that if you need to grind down the nose piece to get into a countersunk casting you aren't risking that much of an investment.

I have the cast knockoff of the plain long nose Arrow which I purchased at Harbor Freight about 30 years ago for less than $10 and despite some fairly heavy commercial usage it still works well.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeaStar58 For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (05-13-2018)
post #8 of 16 Old 05-13-2018

10 buck version working fine after 20 years..used mostly for the rivets that connect the roller furling extrusions together.. A Schaefer unit..which is a real pain in the ass to get the rivets out when changing the wire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to aeventyr60 For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (05-13-2018)
post #9 of 16 Old 05-13-2018

Dock

In 10 years cruising I have popped about 10 rivets.
I bought a $10 or $15 popper that included a bag of rivets.

Yes you need to squeeze pretty hard..... Once per year.

Go a cheapy.

Spend no money on junk you'll never use because cruisibg is VERY expensive as it is.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (05-13-2018)
post #10 of 16 Old 05-13-2018

Dock

In fact here's the exact one I have... But my Handel is red so it's faster...

£8 = US$11

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOZZLE-POP-.../dp/B004K7RELC

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
BillMoran (05-13-2018)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in