Source for teak for cockpit replacement - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 05-15-2018 Thread Starter
Nautidawg

Source for teak for cockpit replacement

Hi All,
Looking for teak strips that are in cockpit for a beneteau. Need replacing.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-15-2018

Re: Source for teak for cockpit replacement

Do you need just the teak or do you need it milled to shape?

Have you tried Beneteau if the later.

If you can mill it yourself any larger city should have a hardwood supplier that will cary or be able to get teak. Mail order try this.

Teak Lumber - Teak Wood - East Teak Fine Hardwoods

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-15-2018 Thread Starter
Nautidawg

Awaiting response from beneteau. Figured it might cost a fortune and my searches online didnt' find too much info.

post #4 of 22 Old 05-16-2018

Even Home Depot sells Teak which you can cut to size yourself however if your up in Anchorage, Juneau, etc Alaska you would likely have to mail order it from one of dozens of suppliers. Having Beneteau mill and pre-cut exact replacements for you would likely be much more costly. If you don't feel up to ripping the strips down yourself you still may find a local carpenter, contractor or lumber yard that will do it for at a more reasonable cost however Beneteau might surprise us all with reasonable rates.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-16-2018

Unless your boat is a fairly recent model (perhaps the most recent) I donít think Beneteau will supply a replacement. They no longer make a replacement for mine (Jeanneau owned by Beneteau) and my model was discontinued only 10 years ago.

I think all Beneteau group boats have decks that are make of teak systems, not individual boards. IOW, the strips are pre-attached, in a tongue and groove style, to make larger sheets of deck and cut to size. Edge and trim pieces are then made to fit. They are also fairly thin.

One option (all are pricey) is Teak Deck Systems, who will make a deck for you from a template. They can be ordered in varying thicknesses and are real individual planks, not the same as the OEM cheaper stuff. If you look up the Boatworks YouTube channel, he has a couple of episodes on making the template and installing the new deck.

I suspect, if it is similar to mine, the cockpit sections are laid into recessed cavities, so thickness may be limited.

My decks are 14 years old now and I can see a replacement on the horizon. Not fun, but an upgrade would last substantially longer than the OEM product, if cared for properly.
nautidawg likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-17-2018
s/v Passport, Bianca 111

Don't just buy any teak from a home center. You need vertical grain (quarter sawn) or you are wasting your money.

I just did this over the winter. I'm pretty experienced with woodworking so did a lot of my milling but you can have the milling done. I can't imaging going through the boat mfg. but then again it wasn't an option for me.

I intended to buy pre-made panels from Teak decking systems but prices have gone up about 30% in the last 18 months. It was $4K for the cockpit and my cockpit ain't that big.

So I decided to make the panels myself. I shopped around quite a bit and got some good recommendation from people in the industry on where to buy raw material. I went with East Teak Teak Lumber - Teak Wood - East Teak Fine Hardwoods. They were great, the wood was very nice and they will mill it for you if you like. Buy the glue/mastic to glue it down and the seaming compound from Teak Decking Systems. All in all I probably have $900 in it. I probably only added 30% of the labor building the panels myself as that is pretty easy.
jephotog and nautidawg like this.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus05 View Post
I just did this over the winter. I'm pretty experienced with woodworking so did a lot of my milling but you can have the milling done. I can't imaging going through the boat mfg. but then again it wasn't an option for me.
Any photos to share?

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #8 of 22 Old 05-17-2018

Most home centers if you go to the Special Orders or Contractors Desk can order quarter sawn Teak or other specialty woods. You just have to ask and many may surprise you with economical prices that beat the internet venues.

I was head of maintenance in a millworks that was part of a home center store and we could get just about any species of wood that was not banned from import into the USA (sometimes even find the banned ones that were imported before the ban went into effect or were reclaimed) and would many times buy it in rough form to saw and mill to the exact specification and profile required. A good millworks will also have the ability to dip and infuse under pressure different types of wood preservatives to increase longevity.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-17-2018
s/v Passport, Bianca 111

I have no doubt you are right and I'm not trying to be contrary but for me, I would go to one of only a couple teak suppliers.

I learned a bit about the global teak industry during this project and if you want to in fact use teak, you may as well use the best stuff because your really not going to save much with lesser quality wood. The right wood will last 30+ years of seasonal boating (assumption based on the POs location) so a job that only needs doing once. This also assumes of course that you know what your doing with maintaining the teak i.e. no scrubbing with the grain, chemicals, etc.

Plantation teak is just not as good but may very well be good enough. It really depends on you and your expectations.

Pics forthcoming
post #10 of 22 Old 05-17-2018 Thread Starter
Nautidawg

Thanks all.
@Minnewaska , yes indeed these are strips that are milled to certain lengths and shape (rounded on tops for lack of better word)-and they are recessed. Owner(s) never maintained for what I can tell-there are broken strips, cracked strips, missing strips....

Called a mill yard and they can do but actually sort of suggested against teak (due to it being $35/bd ft). Def a challenge to replace this stuff as like you said theyr'e recessed--too bad Beneteau did it like this back in the day

If it were flat and not recessed we could just remove and polish up the fiberglass and leave it there...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in