Blue wave swageless terminal grease? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-16-2018 Thread Starter

Blue wave swageless terminal grease?

So I'm replacing my headstay inside my furler tomorrow. The rigger sent me up a new forestay and a blue wave swageless for the connection to the mast head.

It was just in a baggie from blue wave with no instructions. So I looked it up and the instructions show applying blue wave grease inside the fitting? No grease came with my fitting...

My plan is to use red locktite on the threads and just a touch of white lithium grease inside the head cup. Does that sound reasonable? I only want to do this job once so the mystery grease is throwing off my confidence.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-17-2018

Re: Blue wave swageless terminal grease?

red locktite sounds extreme to me. Even blue would give me pause. I understand you dont *want* to ever do it again, but swageless fittings are intended to be removed and re-used to some degree.

I'd go with the manufacturers directions: Swageless Terminals | Blue Wave A/S

If I read it correctly they menion silkaflex 221 only

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #3 of 6 Old 05-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
red locktite sounds extreme to me. Even blue would give me pause. I understand you dont *want* to ever do it again, but swageless fittings are intended to be removed and re-used to some degree.

I'd go with the manufacturers directions: Swageless Terminals | Blue Wave A/S

If I read it correctly they menion silkaflex 221 only
Odd. Not sure where that link came from that you found but it's not the same fitting that I have from blue wave. I guess they had a few different generations. The one I have from their site specifically says use red or any permanent strength locktite and use NO sealant inside.

Almost all swageless I've seen say to use red locktite, especially in a furler where the foils could rotate against the bottom of the fitting possibly unthreading it over time. I've worked as a mechanic in the auto and aircraft industry and although red does suck to remove sometimes it's easily broken with heat. In my case I never need to remove this stay unless I'm replacing it so I would just cut the 1x19 off at the stud anyways and pull it out.

I assume the grease mentioned for my fitting is so the strands of wire don't bind and twist when tightening it up, so I will use a dab of lithium grease and hope for the best.

PS from the blue wave YouTube channel (the video sucks, should have narration) it doesn't mention this blue wave lube like I read in the instructions:

https://youtu.be/QTGB_kfTxUg

post #4 of 6 Old 05-17-2018
Barquito

I thought, at first, "Blue Wave" would need to go in the off-topic area! I need to stop reading newspapers, and stick with sailing fora.

Valiant 32
post #5 of 6 Old 05-17-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
Odd. Not sure where that link came from that you found but it's not the same fitting that I have from blue wave. I guess they had a few different generations. The one I have from their site specifically says use red or any permanent strength locktite and use NO sealant inside.

Almost all swageless I've seen say to use red locktite, especially in a furler where the foils could rotate against the bottom of the fitting possibly unthreading it over time. I've worked as a mechanic in the auto and aircraft industry and although red does suck to remove sometimes it's easily broken with heat. In my case I never need to remove this stay unless I'm replacing it so I would just cut the 1x19 off at the stud anyways and pull it out.

I assume the grease mentioned for my fitting is so the strands of wire don't bind and twist when tightening it up, so I will use a dab of lithium grease and hope for the best.

PS from the blue wave YouTube channel (the video sucks, should have narration) it doesn't mention this blue wave lube like I read in the instructions:

https://youtu.be/QTGB_kfTxUg
Your aproach does make sense. but its a little disturbing to have conflicting info from the manufacturer. regardless you have a handle on it.

btw have you found loctite to be mildly corrosive when wet? I've see it eat paint and whatnot if I get a little messy with it. In particular powdercoated parts.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #6 of 6 Old 05-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol299bob View Post
Your aproach does make sense. but its a little disturbing to have conflicting info from the manufacturer. regardless you have a handle on it.

btw have you found loctite to be mildly corrosive when wet? I've see it eat paint and whatnot if I get a little messy with it. In particular powdercoated parts.
I haven't run into any major issues with it but it's so damn expensive a make it a point not to spill it anywhere it shouldn't be.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in