• 1 Post By capta
  • 1 Post By eherlihy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-17-2018 Thread Starter
Nautidawg

Lewmar folding wheel info

Hi All,

Bought a new boat, now comes time to dump all the money into her
Discovered that we hate the 48" wheel in cockpit that can barely move around without constantly stepping onto cockpit seating-squeezing by isn't even an option. Were looking at folding wheels-have read all threads on those here....anyone could comment on the change in mechanical advantage going from a 48" to a 42"? 42 is the largest they make them. I realize it will be 3 inches less on each side while sitting on coaming. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-17-2018
dadio917

Re: Lewmar folding wheel info

How large is the boat? That's a pretty large wheel.

I've heard the lewmar wheels are not very sturdy. Might be could to get comments on that as well.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
post #3 of 8 Old 05-17-2018
bell ringer

I changed my 48" wheel to the 42" folding wheel and noticed no change in being able to steer the boat. The only change I've noticed in the 3-4 years of having the folding wheel is the JOY of being able to walk around the cockpit to get to the BBQ grill. While it seemed a crazy upgrade for the $1000 it has been among the best useful upgrades I have done.
nautidawg likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-17-2018
Master Mariner

I've seen those wheels and would give anything, except the $1000.00, to have one. From my observations, I believe they are very well made.
nautidawg likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 8 Old 05-17-2018
Learning the HARD way...

I have one of the folding wheels on a 2005 Hunter 33 on which I teach. It sucks. It is loose and the spokes wobble because half of the allen-head machine screws that hold the spokes in position are stripped. I had the same problem with the boat that had one of these at the previous school that I taught too. It seems that it could/should be fixed, but it's not my boat. Personally, I would simply unscrew the wheel if I need extra space on my boat.
nautidawg likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #6 of 8 Old 05-17-2018 Thread Starter
Nautidawg

35 ft boat @dadio917

Mostly I've read/heard good things about them. Boat is set up for racing so we need to add some mods to make more for cruising and weekends...
post #7 of 8 Old 05-17-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I have one of the folding wheels on a 2005 Hunter 33 on which I teach. It sucks. It is loose and the spokes wobble because half of the allen-head machine screws that hold the spokes in position are stripped. I had the same problem with the boat that had one of these at the previous school that I taught too. It seems that it could/should be fixed, but it's not my boat. Personally, I would simply unscrew the wheel if I need extra space on my boat.
Wow, I stand corrected. I'd never used one, but visited a few boats with them and thought they felt well built.
I always like it when the wish list shrinks, instead of grows.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 8 Old 05-17-2018
bell ringer

Yet I’m had mine years and have been in conditions where I was holding on the wheel for my life and it’s never come apart etc. Yes it iis wobbler than a solid wheel, so what?

Btw - you can adjust the hub to hold the spokes better and if you have bad experience with wobble it’s more your laziness than the wheel being the problem.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in