"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
The Following User Says Thank You to overbored For This Useful Post:
dailymirror (05-29-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 05-29-2018

Re: Transmission Oil

The 2GM and 3GM engines use engine oil in the transmission. Mine always looks clear when I check it. Some of the larger engines use ATF. Sounds like yours has engine oil in it.

Edit: Here's the manual. Page 33 says #20 or #30 engine oil in the transmission.
http://j30.us/files/2YM15-Operators-Manual.pdf

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Last edited by JimsCAL; 05-29-2018 at 04:26 PM.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-29-2018 Thread Starter

Yes it is. Original was a Burke. Probably spelled that wrong. But yes YM30 was a refit.

post #14 of 21 Old 05-29-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
The 2GM and 3GM engines use engine oil in the transmission. Mine always looks clear when I check it. Some of the larger engines use ATF. Sounds like yours has engine oil in it.

Edit: Here's the manual. Page 33 says #20 or #30 engine oil in the transmission.
http://j30.us/files/2YM15-Operators-Manual.pdf
Yes thatís what my manual says too. I was expecting to extract something more amber - ish. You know, like oil. When it looked so colourless it threw me. Itís a Kanzaki KM2P-1 transmission. Shop manual recommendation is 10W-30.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-31-2018

The oil as recommended is 30 grade MONO engine oil, (not a gear oil) , all of us older sailors will recognize mono grade oils used to be the norm!!!, these mono grade engine oils are still available but you need to look a little harder to find,

In hot climates a MONO grade 40 is quite often recommended over the 30 weight oil, again these are regular engine oils and correct for many transmissions, I see this all the time as many manuals are badly written as the which oil is required, if using ATF be careful of the SUFFIX letter as this is important, All ATF's are not the same,

When using the correct 30 weight engine oil in your transmission it will not change color and turn black, it will remain clear in color although over time it may get slightly thicker

SO - look around for MONO grade engine oil 30 or if in hot climates 40
The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle5Eagle5 For This Useful Post:
dailymirror (06-01-2018)
post #16 of 21 Old 05-31-2018

I would be leery of using ATF in a plain gearbox. From the sound of things if your gearbox does not specify an oil I would probably run with the straight 30 or 40 weight depending on you sailing climate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky Mountain Breeze For This Useful Post:
dailymirror (06-01-2018)
post #17 of 21 Old 06-01-2018

Although originally gear oil was recommended for Yanmar. Later they changed their recommendation to normal engine oil. Please try to find latest service manuals from yanmar for oil recommendation. If you cannot, use the same oil you are using for the engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to celenoglu For This Useful Post:
dailymirror (06-01-2018)
post #18 of 21 Old 06-01-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5Eagle5 View Post
The oil as recommended is 30 grade MONO engine oil, (not a gear oil) , all of us older sailors will recognize mono grade oils used to be the norm!!!, these mono grade engine oils are still available but you need to look a little harder to find,

In hot climates a MONO grade 40 is quite often recommended over the 30 weight oil, again these are regular engine oils and correct for many transmissions, I see this all the time as many manuals are badly written as the which oil is required, if using ATF be careful of the SUFFIX letter as this is important, All ATF's are not the same,

When using the correct 30 weight engine oil in your transmission it will not change color and turn black, it will remain clear in color although over time it may get slightly thicker

That sounds an awful lot like what I saw on board my own boat... Right now the transmission has the oil recommended in my manual - SAE 30.
post #19 of 21 Old 06-01-2018

If the oil is clear in color it may be synthetic!?? Sae 30 motor oil is a non detergent, non foaming oil not for Diesel engines, mostly used as a lubricating oil.
post #20 of 21 Old 06-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5Eagle5 View Post

Eagle, do you know if Yanmar recommends SAE 40? I ask because, for some reason, SAE 30 is no longer available in Brazil (as far as I can tell), but they still sell SAE 40. I always used SAE 30 in my Yanmar 3GM30f for both the engine and gear box. I'm in doubt about whether it's better to use straight SAE 40 in the gear box or a 15W30. It's tropical here, although it can be cool(ish) in the winter some days.

VindŲ 50

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in