Hardware questions - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By overbored

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-04-2018 Thread Starter

Hardware questions

Hi,

I finally got to sort thru everything that came with my new-to-me-freebie Nomad 14
Some things I did not recognize, so I have no idea what they are. One is in the attached pic named 'Photo1'. This metal thingie is on both the mast and the boom, and I have no idea what it is or what it does

I did find that I am missing the gooseneck for the boom. Attached is the end of the boom (Photo 2) as well as the slot in the mast for where the sail goes (Photo 3) - anyway to tell what gooseneck would fit or do I need to measure? If measuring - what and how?

Lastly I am missing the bolt/pin to step the mast. Attached is a pic of the end of the mast (Photo 4). What do I need for this and where can I get one? Will a regular bolt that is the size for the hole work? My mast step plate looks like the last pic (mast_plate)

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
mast_plate.jpg   Photo1.jpg   Photo2.jpg   Photo3.jpg   Photo4.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-04-2018

Re: Hardware questions

Some quick comments. Photo1 looks to be a (crude jam) cleat for holding a line like an outhaul. I'm guessing Photo2 shows the end of boom where the main sheet would attach. A bolt and nut would work for the mast support, but a clevis pin would probably be a better choice. Most sailing hardware vendors carry them in a variety of diameters and lengths. You do want stainless either way so the clevis pin is likely to be cheaper.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #3 of 9 Old 06-04-2018

you have the mast plate or tabernacle

the v shaped items are V jam cleats to hold the line tight. the pic shows how the cleat works

you can use a bolt with a nut for the pin in the tabernacle

you can buy a goose neck fitting from marine supplier
Attached Thumbnails
Stainless V-Cleats_s.JPG  

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

post #4 of 9 Old 06-04-2018

Here's a sliding gooseneck fitting they are sized to the mast sail track
Gooseneck Sliding 3/8 Groove | APS

"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #5 of 9 Old 06-04-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Some quick comments. Photo1 looks to be a (crude jam) cleat for holding a line like an outhaul. I'm guessing Photo2 shows the end of boom where the main sheet would attach. A bolt and nut would work for the mast support, but a clevis pin would probably be a better choice. Most sailing hardware vendors carry them in a variety of diameters and lengths. You do want stainless either way so the clevis pin is likely to be cheaper.
I thought Photo2 was showing the end of the boom that connects to the gooseneck? And I would need something like this pic as the gooseneck? Or am I completely confused here?
Attached Thumbnails
50-10772001.jpg  
post #6 of 9 Old 06-04-2018
Administrator

Picture 1: That is a tabernacle. It normally would be bolted permanently to the deck with the 4 holes in the corners. Its serves as a hinge to tilt the mast into place and as a part of the mast step when the mast is up. A long bolt passes through the two slots and through the two holes in the bottom fitting of the mast. There should be large fender washers under the head of the bolt, and ideally there should not be any of the threads against the aluminum bottom of the mast fitting.
Picture 2: As others have said, its a jamb cleat and they work quite well with the proper line.

Picture 3: Overbored correctly noted that you need to buy a gooseneck assembly since that is only part of the gooseneck. The type of gooseneck that Overbored shows goes together this way:
Gooseneck Assembly_001

But because the piece that leaves the boom is male and not female, the type of end fitting that you show will not work with the fitting that Overbored or my sketch shows. Instead you will need to buy a toggle like a K-9267 or Sch 45-S0404 seen here Gooseneck Toggles and a slide like the PP-MSA seen here Pearson Small Boom Gooseneck Parts

Picture 4 is the groove that the mainsail feeds into. I assume that the solid cleats are for the main and jib halyards and the jamb cleats are for the spin pole lift and pin halyard.

Picture 5. is the base of mast fitting, see 1 for explanation.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-04-2018 at 01:54 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-04-2018

Jeff I think he has the Surfglass nomad 14 not the vanguard nomad which is 17'. the v jam cleats are likely for the down haul and the outhaul. typical one uses by Surfglass same as used on the Prindle. might be the same gooseneck. could try Murrays sports for parts the one for the hobie should fit
https://www.murrays.com/product/50-10770001/
Nomad 14 By Surfglas Inc. ShortyPen Sailboat Guide
Jeff_H likes this.

"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Last edited by overbored; 06-04-2018 at 02:28 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-04-2018 Thread Starter

overbored is correct, it is a Nomad 14 by Surfglass
post #9 of 9 Old 06-04-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Jeff I think he has the Surfglass nomad 14 not the vanguard nomad which is 17'. the v jam cleats are likely for the down haul and the outhaul. typical one uses by Surfglass same as used on the Prindle. might be the same gooseneck. could try Murrays sports for parts the one for the hobie should fit
https://www.murrays.com/product/50-10770001/
Nomad 14 By Surfglas Inc. ShortyPen Sailboat Guide
I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! Spectacularly great call. Those is exactly what he needs.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in