SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Transmission Oil Cooler set up? Questions (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/321946-transmission-oil-cooler-set-up-questions.html)

Ocean Cruising 06-04-2018 12:05 PM

Transmission Oil Cooler set up? Questions

Hello,
I'm trying to attach an oil cooler to a ZF30M transmission.

Sounds like a simple task, but I don't know how the cooler should attach to the transmission. I just got the transmission and the manual says it must have an oil cooler to prevent overheating of the transmission fluid. The problem is that I can't find any information about how the oil cooler connects to the transmission. Where does the oil come out at? How does it get back in? Do I need an external electric fluid pump? I'm in salt water - what oil cooler do I need? Is copper ok, or do I need to have a copper-nickel cooler? The only way of getting oil in or out of the transmission is the drain plug and the fill plug. Is that what I'm supposed to use? Don't tell me I have to drill and tap holes on the side of my transmission. I won't do it. I'll just change the oil each of the dozen or so times I go sailing each year.

I find it very frustrating that I bought a brand new transmission from a marine supplier, but can't find information about proper installation other than the bolt sizes. I'm about to fly over to Germany and drive up to the ZF factory, and fight some Germans engineers. WWIII. And the crazy thing is that I drive a Volkswagen.

Just kidding about fighting Germans, but if you have any information about how this should be done, please reply. Anything is better than nothing. I did find an oil cooler that is coppe-nickle, and will fit my water lines, but I don't know how to attach it.

Thanks a bunch!
Mike

Capt Len 06-04-2018 12:27 PM

Re: Transmission Oil Cooler set up? Questions

Not much experience with the small gears but many depend on a heat conducting/transfer unit bolted or clamped onto side. Sounds a bit dicey but that's what's available on google for $165 .Then it's just a matter of plumbing hoses .Raw water pump to heat exchanger to trans cooler to riser injection. The anti syphon is in there somewhere.

overbored 06-04-2018 12:38 PM

the ZF trans that use an oil cooler usually have a mechanical pump on the trans and the cooler comes mounted on top of the trans. the zf 30 is a small trans so I would call the dealer and ask if it is set up to use a cooler. many of the smaller ones do not use one. the case has cooling fins and the oil is splash lubrication with no pump

Capt Len 06-04-2018 12:45 PM

Further to last post. Gears with disks and pump are like an automatic car trannie. Oil is cooled externally in a water /exchanger. I usually mount them cross ways on top of gear because its convenient to hose up to riser if raw water cooled. Personally. I like to route engine water from big hX then to engine. (no salt corrosion ,, leak into gear oil and then to bilge problem) Watch out for air lock in hose routing.Bubbles rise to loops.

Minnewaska 06-04-2018 01:07 PM

I have a ZF25, with cooler. It's simply a box that is attached to the outside of the case. Seawater flows through the box, directly from the sea strainer, then exits as it heads toward the impeller pump. I haven't look inside, but doubt it's much more than an open box. I believe they spec some sort of adhesive that conducts heat better, but think that's silly too.

I seriously wonder how much cooling it does, but they are spec'd for either the gear or displacement of the vessel. We are at the absolute top of the spec displacement for the ZF25, when in recreational use. The gear is undersized for commercial use at our tonnage. Therefore, requiring the cooler.

overbored 06-04-2018 01:30 PM

this the one for the 25 and smaller must be the same type used on the 30 It bolts on the side of the trans
3306107001 ZF Transmission/Gear Cooler

Ocean Cruising 06-04-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overbored (Post 2051514522)
this the one for the 25 and smaller must be the same type used on the 30 It bolts on the side of the trans
3306107001 ZF Transmission/Gear Cooler

That's perfect. My transmission has a flat side on it for something just like that. Unfortunately, that one is for the ZF25. I'm searching the internet to find one for a ZF30M, but no luck so far.

Thanks anyway, Overbored! At least now I know what I'm looking for.

And thanks to the rest of you as well. I am aware that the transmission fluid typically comes out of the transmission and goes through a heat exchanger and then re-enters the transmission, but my transmission does not seem to have any incoming and outgoing fluid connections.

overbored 06-04-2018 02:30 PM

most of the smaller one use the side mounted one. when you get into the 200 HP and up the use a pump and tube ht ex
Ask Mr. Cool if it is the same one they could give you the bolt pattern to check

Ocean Cruising 06-04-2018 06:32 PM

Problem solved!!! Thanks for the help, especially those who informed me that smaller transmissions usually have a box bolted to the side with water flowing in and out of it. I found a place on the opposite side of the United States that has one and it's being shipped in the morning.

I very much appreciate the help. I was about to purchase a crazy big heat exchanger with oil lines and water lines and all sorts of craziness that I didn't even need. Rock and Roll.

On a side note, interesting fact, the oil cooler they're sending me is actually bronze instead of aluminum. interesting...

Minnewaska 06-04-2018 06:39 PM

Bronze is a better heat conductor, I suppose. Look into the adhesive that is supposed to be applied to maximize heat transfer. Like I said, seems silly, but perhaps itís to fill air voids between the metal surfaces that would insulate. Some glues may insulate too.