Is there a difference in shape between hank and roller furler sail? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 07-10-2018
Above 5 knots

Dock
Re: Is there a difference in shape between hank and roller furler sail?

Jeff, as always you have way more experience, and knowledge in these things.

and yes a foil is better than hanks... but a roller furler designed sail will generally be cut high enough with an open enough foot, that it'll furl correctly... this is a requirement for furling, so you loose the deck-sweeper end plate effect. Only a real issue when you are on the lower end of wind speeds for sure. As winds pipe up the open foot will actually help balance the load and make it easier to twist things off as the cars come back.

I still think a roller furler that allows a foil, with a removable drum gives you best of both worlds. Foil for racing sails, that you can put properly cut deck sweepers for the lower end of the range, and add a drum and put a sail cut for furling on it for the 99% of the rest of the time you sail. I'm debating doing this myself. Sadly most of my sails are hank on, so they'll all need converted to tuff luff.

I will make one exception for roller furlers that the drum resides below deck is probably the best of all with very little compromise.
Jeff_H and chicory83 like this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 07-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post

If The OP wants to get fancy he can add a downhaul that will allow him to douse the Jib from the cockpit, and maybe even add a reef point so he can simply partially lower the jib and reef it which is way easier and almost as effective than doing a sail change, and way better than sailing with a partially furled jib.

Jeff
Very cool idea, is there a trick to transferring the sheets to the upper clew cringle when you reef? Do you just lower the sail all the way to make the switch and then hoist it back up? I have visions of getting smacked in the head by a flogging cringle while trying to swap the sheets and gather the foot of the sail.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-10-2018
Administrator

The deal on rigging the sheets is that you run a separate set of sheets through the correct sheet lead block and tie those sheets to the reef clue cringle before you reef and while the sail is still full so its not flapping about. That cringle will typically only be at eye level even on a pretty big boat. Then when you have reefed and the new sheets are trimmed, you remove the old sheets and brail the bottom of the sail to keep it from catching waves. Plan 'B' is to move the lazy sheet up to the reef clew grommet, reef then tack, and then tie on the new lazy sheet.

This is very old school stuff that was pretty much the norm in the days before modern furlers and hardware.

Jeff
chicory83 and bristol299bob like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

post #14 of 17 Old 07-10-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
The deal on rigging the sheets is that you run a separate set of sheets through the correct sheet lead block and tie those sheets to the reef clue cringle before you reef and while the sail is still full so its not flapping about. That cringle will typically only be at eye level even on a pretty big boat. Then when you have reefed and the new sheets are trimmed, you remove the old sheets and brail the bottom of the sail to keep it from catching waves. Plan 'B' is to move the lazy sheet up to the reef clew grommet, reef then tack, and then tie on the new lazy sheet.

This is very old school stuff that was pretty much the norm in the days before modern furlers and hardware.

Jeff
I like this idea so much I'm almost ready to get rid of the furler . Worth mentioning that I have an old hood seafurl (810?) with an infinite furling line. It is rather difficult to furl even in benign conditions, and I feel it is both an inconvenience and a danger. I'm in the process of making my Newport 30 Mkii a bit more seaworthy, so that I won't have an emergency at the first breeze, and doing something with the furler is part of that.

I either have to replace the furler, or move to hanks, as a result.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-10-2018

Not totally following the logic. Being able to quickly get the foresail furled, without needing to go to the foredeck, is it's primary advantage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-10-2018
Master Mariner

Unless things have changed radically since last I used hank on sails, all the hank on sails I've owned had wire luffs, not rope. That can't be cheap to have a sailmaker put in.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #17 of 17 Old 07-11-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Unless things have changed radically since last I used hank on sails, all the hank on sails I've owned had wire luffs, not rope. That can't be cheap to have a sailmaker put in.
I don't think that wire luffs are used anymore. In my most recent experience, depending on the size of the sail, small hank on jibs no longer have any luff reinforcing other than the luff tabling, and bigger jibs seem to use modern high modulus line. The cost of either seems to be pretty similar to installing a foil boltrope,

Regarding the original poster, on a 30 foot boat, it may be possible to simply install cringles for the hanks and actually remove the foil boltrope from the sail or having to add a new luff rope. That could be pretty inexpensive to do. If the OP was pretty handy, and does not mind a stitched in webbing connection, it would be pretty easy to add the hanks as a DYI project.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in