Wheel pilots - which one? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 07-29-2018

Re: Wheel pilots - which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timangiel View Post
It works for awhile then suddenly steers me way off course for no apparent reason. Iíve tried replacing the flux gate compass but it didnít fix the problem.
Close-hauled, following seas, or both?

Have you adjusted gain and response?

Did you calibrate by driving around in circles?

All these are things youíd need to do with a new autopilot.

Have you checked in at the Raymarine product support forum?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 07-29-2018 Thread Starter

It happens under any conditions including perfectly flat seas motoring. It will run flawlessly for maybe a couple of hours. Then suddenly without warning will make a hard turn and go off course like 70 or 80 degrees. Yes I have done the go around in circles thing but still have the problem, no I have not been on any Raymarine forums, I didnít think I would get much support for a 25 year old wheel pilot, but maybe Iíll check it out. Iím at a point where Iím happy to just replace it, but was wondering if there were any pros or cons to consider between the previously mentioned models.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 17 Old 07-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
FYI, Iíve owned both the ST4000+MkII (on prior boat) and ST4000 (on current boat). MkII was nicer than ST4000, but not enough to justify upgrading my current one. A new $20 belt fixed all my problems.
I have read about the ST4000. It appears to be a problematic unit. Even a decade ago people were replacing it. If it works for you no reason to replace it but if it gives you fits no reason to work too hard to get it running.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 17 Old 07-29-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
I have read about the ST4000. It appears to be a problematic unit. Even a decade ago people were replacing it. If it works for you no reason to replace it but if it gives you fits no reason to work too hard to get it running.

Thatís pretty much what I was thinking. If all it needed was a belt then fine I would fix it but I think my issue is deeper than a simple fix. We went on a day sail today and I tried it in the wind vane mode and it was fine so it still has some usefulness, but I still want to replace it.

post #15 of 17 Old 07-29-2018

When it suddenly goes off course by 80 degrees, does the autopilot direction setting change to the new course? You really should post your issue on their support forum. Iíve never had a problem getting diagnostic help due to age of my instruments.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #16 of 17 Old 07-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by timangiel View Post
It happens under any conditions including perfectly flat seas motoring. It will run flawlessly for maybe a couple of hours. Then suddenly without warning will make a hard turn and go off course like 70 or 80 degrees. Yes I have done the go around in circles thing but still have the problem, no I have not been on any Raymarine forums, I didnít think I would get much support for a 25 year old wheel pilot, but maybe Iíll check it out. Iím at a point where Iím happy to just replace it, but was wondering if there were any pros or cons to consider between the previously mentioned models.

Regards

watching this post because I have the same issue with my ST4000.
It works fine for 1 hour or 2 then stops and the off course alarm goes off. Push stand by, then auto again it works for 10 seconds then stops. Hard to diagnose what the issue is, getting hot? The motor (drive unit) is fine.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-31-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
watching this post because I have the same issue with my ST4000.

It works fine for 1 hour or 2 then stops and the off course alarm goes off. Push stand by, then auto again it works for 10 seconds then stops. Hard to diagnose what the issue is, getting hot? The motor (drive unit) is fine.

You can still get a replacement flux gate compass but that doesnít sound like a compass issue. I thought I read somewhere that the newer drive units work with that control unit, but if youíre sure your drive unit is ok that wonít help you. If anything goes wrong with the control unit, you either can try to find a used one online and and take a chance or spring for a new wheel pilot. I believe my issue is in the control unit, and I have no interest in a used one. Let me know what you end up doing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in