Repairing a family boat - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Guyfromthenorth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-30-2018 Thread Starter
MJ3

Repairing a family boat

Waiting for this thread to be deleted

Last edited by MJ3; 08-05-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-30-2018

Re: Repairing a family boat

I've seen worse, but it's hard to tell from that angle. To the best of my knowledge, Newports aren't known for being racers. I can't ever remember racing against any in MDR. You would probably get more responses if there were some interior pictures including engine, bulkheads, chainplates and through hulls. Hope that helps...

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
post #3 of 8 Old 07-31-2018

It's really impossible to give you an answer to your question without much more information. As a minimum you need to find the current owner and inspect the boat. Note this is an old boat, so expect major issues if it has not been maintained. The Newport 27 was designed by the two guys that later formed C&C Yachts, so I would expect it would be a decent club racer.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

post #4 of 8 Old 07-31-2018
Master Mariner

If this is an abandoned boat, some states make it pretty difficult to get a title. That would be one of the first things to check out as you begin the process of acquiring this boat.
However, it seems you have made one of the biggest mistakes a potential boat owner could possibly make when looking at boats. You have become emotionally involved in a boat you don't own! Be very, very careful that you do not let your emotional attachment to your father's old boat lead you into a financially disastrous and heartbreaking boat owning experience.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 8 Old 07-31-2018

Agreed with the above statements, don't get emotionally attached to something you know little of, and it's near impossible to even tell you how much it would take to be seaworthy. I can guarantee you it has a keel, hull, mast, at least the bottom section of the rudder, and probably some deck, that's about it.

Where is this boat located? If it's been left uncovered and uncared for imagine the possible water damage by now...

Do you live South? If so it may be a green cesspool of god knows what with 3 ft of rainwater and algae growing inside rotting out bulkheads and corroding the engine.

Do you live North? If so all the water that has got inside has been freeze-thaw cycling crushing parts and delaminating FRP that is around it.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-31-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ3 View Post
You guys are probably right, its been mistreated and I don't have the money to fix it. Nonetheless it still hurts to see the boat sit there hopeless compared to the life it used to have.
It may be worth looking into but just do so with a critical eye. I would say though that all boats eventually go that way, some sooner than others FWIW. Maybe its time to find a well cared for used boat to work on with your dad and make a whole new set of memories.
capta likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-31-2018 Thread Starter
MJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
It may be worth looking into but just do so with a critical eye. I would say though that all boats eventually go that way, some sooner than others FWIW. Maybe its time to find a well cared for used boat to work on with your dad and make a whole new set of memories.
We actually have been looking at a merit 25 but both of us aren't sold on it. It was basically completely redone by the owner. The interior needs some work but he redid the bottom which looks amazing. We just don't know if a merit is the right next move, we want a racer.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-31-2018

Does its derelict condition bother your father as it does you? At one point, he decided to get rid of it.
If you end up making an offer, I'd look into the costs of ownership--marina fees, labor rates, etc etc. They're a lot cheaper to buy than they are to own.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in