beathing apparatus for or bottom maintenaince - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 Old 07-31-2018

Re: beathing apparatus for or bottom maintenaince

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
That is why the reputable hooka manufacturers only sell 30' hoses with their rigs.
This just isn't true at all, unless you personally define "reputable hooka manufacturers" as only being those that conform to your belief in what length hoses they sell.

Your argument reminds me of the ones against integrating autopilots with other instrumentation because they could be used incorrectly that way.

I don't know anyone using hookas to do deep recreational diving in lieu of tanks, but I know many, many people using them regularly in <30'. Most in <10' for work on their boats. If it is an electrical-powered hooka, it is definitely only being used within a few feet of the main boat.

Perspective.

Mark
contrarian likes this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"
Manta 40 Catamaran "Reach" - For Sale!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 Old 07-31-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If it is an electrical-powered hooka, it is definitely only being used within a few feet of the main boat.Mark
Our Sea Breathe unit can go as far from the main boat as the gas tank of the Zodiac will carry it. I guess you aren't familiar with the concept of alligator clips and a battery.
As for reputable, I mean those that are recognized in the industry as conforming to a certain standard. That standard includes standard hoses of around 30', not 50' or 75'. As I said, there is a very, very good reason why the hookah rigs sold by reputable companies are generally sold with hoses that do not exceed 30'.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #23 of 53 Old 07-31-2018

Quote:
Our Sea Breathe unit can go as far from the main boat as the gas tank of the Zodiac will carry it. I guess you aren't familiar with the concept of alligator clips and a battery.
As for reputable, I mean those that are recognized in the industry as conforming to a certain standard. That standard includes standard hoses of around 30', not 50' or 75'. As I said, there is a very, very good reason why the hookah rigs sold by reputable companies are generally sold with hoses that do not exceed 30'.
Please list one 'reputable' hooka supplier/mgr that does not offer hoses longer that 30'.

Youre going down/insisting a path that will not back you up.

Why.....

post #24 of 53 Old 07-31-2018

Hey Mark, So, who is the biggest idiot on Sailnet? Just wondered if you had anybody in mind. Kevin
post #25 of 53 Old 07-31-2018

Quote:
That is what I thought - you are confusing diving depth with hose length. First, Sea Breathe actually offer a 60' hose option on their units, so your argument is dead there. Second, it appears you do not consider Brownie, Air Line, HookaMax, and other well-established brands as "reputable" just because they offer (or come standard) with hoses longer than 30'.

Again, 30' might be a recommended depth, but it is in no way a limit for usable length, nor are longer lengths a danger to anyone.

A small battery will provide 1-1.5hrs on these hookas. Perhaps this is enough for a remote dive for some who can't snorkel shallow water and do not want to dive deeper water, but most electric ones are being used for boat work and stuff closer to the mother ship.

Mark

post #26 of 53 Old 07-31-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Hey Mark, So, who is the biggest idiot on Sailnet? Just wondered if you had anybody in mind. Kevin
I read that as self-reference.

Mark

post #27 of 53 Old 07-31-2018

I'm with RegU on this one. I think the HookahMax is a good compromise for cleaning the bottom and clearing any wraps that you might have on the prop. I tried the pole method that was mentioned earlier to clean the bottom but when I took the boat out into some really clear water and dove on it, I could see what a poor job I was doing with just a brush on a stick. My sailing mentor was an old school dive instructor and only used cylinders for surface air as opposed to a compressor or hookah system. I think the hookah is fine for shallow diving but personally I would not dive more than 10' deep with one. I also think it might be a good idea to get certified for scuba even though it's not required for hookah. There are some little tidbits that you will be taught in the class that may save your life. Like not holding your breath while breathing compressed air! I know there were a couple of hookah related fatalities last lobster season in the Keys, probably in not more than 15-20' feet of water. Not sure what the details were but it definitely shows that while hookah is relatively safe there are definitely things that can go wrong.
wymbly1971 likes this.
post #28 of 53 Old 07-31-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Sea Breathe actually offer a 60' hose option on their units, so your argument is dead there.

A small battery will provide 1-1.5hrs on these hookas. Perhaps this is enough for a remote dive for some who can't snorkel shallow water and do not want to dive deeper water, but most electric ones are being used for boat work and stuff closer to the mother ship.

Mark
Oh for crying out loud. Several times I specifically said "come standard with" 30' foot hoses. and the horizontal versus vertical thing was also addressed, but if you want to continue to beat a dead horse, then have at it.
Our unit uses 12 to 15 amps, which is slightly more than 1.5 hours on a 125 cca battery, but honestly, who is going to spend more than a couple of hours in the water snorkeling or cleaning a boat bottom at a time? Most of us get tired and/or cold (even in the tropics) after a while, even with a wetsuit. Few contributors on this forum are spring chickens, and even my wife, who is considerably younger than most on here, gets cold after a couple of hours in the water.
But, if memory serves, you are a tank diver and don't even have a hookah rig, so what's your point? Have you even used one?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #29 of 53 Old 08-01-2018 Thread Starter
dadio917

Hey...I appreciate all the responses. Gives me some things to look at. I should have added...I am a certified diver although have not done it for a few years. Having 37' hull don't need tons of hose. Money is less an issue than size for storing..(39' boat again). Power secondary and can run inverter or DC. Probably quality and size of unit prioritizes above all else. btw, that Huka site sure seems heavy on marketing versus specs.

Dadio917
Valiant 39
post #30 of 53 Old 08-01-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post

There was a guy until a few weeks ago that had no interest in boating... Just enjoyed trolling boaters... I think he was finally banned.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in