beathing apparatus for or bottom maintenaince - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 53 Old 08-01-2018

Re: beathing apparatus for or bottom maintenaince

I have a 30 foot hose with a primary and 2nd stage regulator attached. Quick and easy way to clean the bottom with existing gear/ tanks...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 08-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
But, if memory serves, you are a tank diver and don't even have a hookah rig, so what's your point? Have you even used one?
I free dive - no tank nor hooka. I do keep a single tank on board for more demanding/emergency underwater boat work. Yes I have used hookas (although I fail to see why this matters to the discussion).

My point was that there are many reputable hooka manufacturers who offer hose lengths longer than 30', and that >30' lengths are not intrinsically unsafe or reckless. That was addressing your claims to the opposite. Having a 40'x21' boat, a 30' hose would be cumbersome, or unusable, for us. Many people have longer and wider boats than ours.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #33 of 53 Old 08-01-2018
bell ringer

So people seem to feel the hookah systems good for bottom cleaning?

Always “interesting” how a forum thing can turn into a silly must win battle :-)

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!

post #34 of 53 Old 08-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
So people seem to feel the hookah systems good for bottom cleaning?

Always “interesting” how a forum thing can turn into a silly must win battle :-)
Enough compressed gas here to clean the QE2..

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #35 of 53 Old 08-01-2018
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
That is a good idea - how do you attach the scraper to the pole, though?
A couple of stainless steel bolts and tape wrapped around the heads to prevent scratches. I have used it for 9 years now.
post #36 of 53 Old 08-01-2018

OP is a certified scuba diver but hasn't dived in a long while?

I was going to suggest just renting a tank and scuba gear, and forget the hookah stuff. That way you have a Buoyancy Compensator, ditchable weights in case of emergency, a compass just in case. You can be neutrally buoyant at whichever depth you're working.

I'm ignorant of hookahs, so maybe I'm missing something that's great about them. But I've cleaned a boat bottom in scuba gear, it worked out fine. And if perchance you drop something you need to retrieve, you can drop down and look for it.

And getting back into diving has advantages too, you're a mobile underwater creature, without a tether, and can enjoy the underwater world away from the marina silt and ablative paint clouds.

If OP has health problems which contradict diving, then I take back all I just said.
post #37 of 53 Old 08-01-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
I was going to suggest just renting a tank and scuba gear, and forget the hookah stuff. .
I've carried tanks and even compressors on sailboats and IMO they are more trouble than they are worth, especially for bottom cleaning. Tanks are hard to store, ding varnish and chip glass and need to be inspected periodically and certified, while compressors require quite a bit of maintenance and attention. If you don't have a compressor, then finding clean air can be a problem far from civilization. Renting tanks and transporting them back to the boat is just plain a PITA in many places (it's not like we have a car and taxis can be expensive). If you misplace your certification card, have fun trying to get your tanks filled!
Our electric hookah rig comes in a plastic box about the size of a 6 piece toaster. Obviously, the hoses take up a bit of space but take up no more space than a BC w/ regulator. We can achieve neutral buoyancy just fine with a couple of weights, which are considerably cheaper than a BC.
On a sunny day, we make more power than the hookah rig consumes, so it is basically free to operate, but even on a cloudy day, the 15 or so amps it consumes is not a problem to a 500+ amp battery bank. Mostly, we clean the bottom in around 15' of water on a sand bottom, so dropping things isn't much of a problem, and more often than not we have a fishy posse to encourage the removal of the growth on the bottom.
Like the OP, I no longer consider SCUBA diving to be something I am physically fit to do, so the hookah rig is the perfect compromise all the way around. I've done my time below 3 atmospheres, had a ball and now it is time to put my PADI divemaster's certification to rest.
overthehorizon likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #38 of 53 Old 08-01-2018

I agree that if one isn't going to free-dive the boat for bottom cleaning, then a hookah is better than a tank. Get a long hose - it will make the job so much easier and less frustrating.

If one does use a tank, I don't see any need for a BC, compass, etc for bottom cleaning (if you need a compass, then you can afford to pay someone else to clean your bottom).

If one already has the tanks and compressor, then tanks are better than adding a hookah to the mix.

Renting a tank doesn't make much sense to me because one isn't sure when the bottom needs cleaning, and may not be in an area that rents tanks when the bottom does need cleaning. Depending on tank rental prices, one might be 50% into just hiring a guy to clean the bottom.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

- Current boat

- Previous boat
post #39 of 53 Old 08-01-2018

Hey,

Here is the rig I bought:
https://hookamax.com/products?olsPag...diving-systems

Hookamax E2005C-12V 1X100
$999.95$899.95

No relationship, just a satisfied owner, etc.

I split it with a friend. So, for under $500 I can clean the bottom whenever I want. Last year I paid a diver $100 / cleaning and I had the bottom done 4 times. So this thing will pay for itself is about 1 year.

Barry
eherlihy likes this.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

The Following User Says Thank You to BarryL For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (08-02-2018)
post #40 of 53 Old 08-02-2018
Learning the HARD way...

I have been considering one of these for some time now, and would like your recommendations as to which single diver system YOU would buy and why;
Hookamax A2016C-12V 1X50 - Aluminum tank & 50 foot hose - $1100
SeaBreathe 130-DA - Anodized unit in an aluminum case w/ 30 foot hose - $1500
Brownie Sea Lion 2 diver X package (b/c they don't offer a single diver package) - $5500
Air Line 12V-E160 - 60 foot hose - $1500

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 08-02-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in