beathing apparatus for or bottom maintenaince - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 53 Old 08-03-2018

Re: beathing apparatus for or bottom maintenaince

dadio917, this will answer some of your hookah questions. This is a non-monetized You Tube channel so there is no agenda here.
freshsail, CVAT and outbound like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 Old 08-03-2018

Ive been back and forth on getting one for years. Issues remain
Storage. They come in a hard box. They take up room. Where to put it.
Electrical v gas. Electrical seems just fine for boat work but a PIA for recreational diving. Most of our snorkeling is- anchor, deploy dinghy, take dinghy to site then dive. So once again size matters. The device, two or three people, lunch, boots if were going hiking, lunch, water etc.
Which one (brand) to buy.
Weve taken to moving after a week or so if anchored in the same harbor. Scrub chain best we can and running it through windlass seems to keep it pretty clean. We run fresh water on it and when we have access to a dock hose flush out the chain locker.
With a diver costing ~&100 and a dive every 4-6 weeks still holding off on the hookah. Also usually end up with a short haul every 6 months for thruster zincs or other maintenance anyway. Sometimes those zincs are a ***** to change. What I want is to see things I cant with the snorkel. Oh well.....

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #43 of 53 Old 08-03-2018
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Even the forums biggest idiot knows the difference between 75 feet down and 75 feet un-down.

I'm sorry, what?

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT

post #44 of 53 Old 08-03-2018
bell ringer

I started to look at getting one even though on paper it would take a few years of getting a diver to clean the bottom to pay for itself. But getting a diver requires that I'm somewhere where I can get a diver and there's costs and time involved in waiting for one to get around to an unimportant transient boat they likely wouldn't see again.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 53 Old 08-03-2018

Wondering if anyone out there has tried building a hookah system around this compressor...
https://pacbrake.com/product-lines/h...r-compressors/

Operates on 12 volts. Produces more than 2 cfm at 90 psi. Rated for 100% duty cycle. Used as the OEM compressors for a number of cars and trucks that have air-suspension and air-brake systems. Seems like it should be more than adequate, while costing a lot less than a Thomas and only needing 12 volts (though, obviously, at pretty high amps).
post #46 of 53 Old 08-03-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Wondering if anyone out there has tried building a hookah system around this compressor...

Operates on 12 volts. Produces more than 2 cfm at 90 psi. Rated for 100% duty cycle. Used as the OEM compressors for a number of cars and trucks that have air-suspension and air-brake systems. Seems like it should be more than adequate, while costing a lot less than a Thomas and only needing 12 volts (though, obviously, at pretty high amps).
there's self build system plans online

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #47 of 53 Old 08-03-2018

I figured the cost equal to 1 anchor and 120ish ft of chain.

You may find building your own system fun and with some cost savings. I didnt....but building several..yes.
post #48 of 53 Old 08-04-2018

I have the airline 12v w/60' hose for a 42' boat. I paid $1,500 for the unit and an additional $100 for the aluminum deck plate with the vibration isolators. The plate has two handles which makes moving the unit much easier. I store mine in a lazerette and pull it out into the cockpit for cleaning. The 60' hose is probably a little overkill but that's the length that came with the unit. I think a 50' would be ideal.
I'm located in the Stono River in Charleston, lots of growth here so having a diver clean every 3 weeks during the warm water months was expensive, and I really like laying my eyes on the hull of my boat.
I have zero scuba experience, never taken any course but have done plenty of snorkeling. Some here on sailnet would call me an idiot for risking my life, I consider myself to be reasonably intelligent and safety conscious person. I've done a fair amount of research on diving safety and am familiar with the dangers of diving deep. I feel quite safe diving to a depth of 6 feet, my boat draws 5'-4". I have no desire to go any deeper I purchased this rig for the sole purpose of maintaining the bottom of my boat.
eherlihy likes this.
post #49 of 53 Old 08-08-2018

As a SCUBA instructor, I recommend that anyone planning to use a hooka system get at least some basic training in using SCUBA. A change in depth of only 4 feet of seawater can cause a pressure change of 2psi - enough to cause an overexpansion injury (arterial gas embolism, pneumothorax, mediastinal emphysema or subcutaneous emphysema). An alternative might be to hire a certified diver to clean the hull. For the cost of a quality hooka setup, you could hire someone many times over and avoid the risks. Better yet, if you have a friend that dives, they'd probably do it for a post-dive beer (or two, or three..) and maybe the cost of an air fill (about $8) if they dont have their own compressor. Fair winds and a clean hull! Cheers
PhilCarlson likes this.
post #50 of 53 Old 08-08-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

The compressor on a hookah, or that the dive shop fills tanks with is different. This compressor is not concerned with removing contaminates (dust, dirt, oil, etc) from the compressed air, which under pressure, is really really really bad for you. Maybe drop in at a local dive shop and run the idea by them for a tecnhical explanation of how that can kill you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in