SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   beathing apparatus for or bottom maintenaince (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/324768-beathing-apparatus-bottom-maintenaince.html)

dadio917 07-30-2018 06:59 PM

beathing apparatus for or bottom maintenaince

Can't hold my breath like I used to. Any recommendations for a breathing system? Looked at mantus and spare air but wondering about a simple DC compressor and hose?

RegisteredUser 07-30-2018 07:34 PM

Re: beathing apparatus for or bottom maintenaince

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadio917 (Post 2051542282)
Can't hold my breath like I used to. Any recommendations for a breathing system? Looked at mantus and spare air but wondering about a simple DC compressor and hose?

I bought a HookaMax for that same purpose. 75' hose.

Ive not yet used it....hoping to scrape as needed before the hull becomes a real problem/project.

denverd0n 07-31-2018 09:33 AM

Search the forum for "hookah". There have been numerous, long threads about what is needed.

TQA 07-31-2018 09:40 AM

Work from the surface using snorkel gear. Put your scraper or scrub pad on an eight foot pole. This will enable you to access the whole boat without diving. I can clean my 44 ft boat in an hour even when I have major barnacle encrustations. I use an eight inch wide scraper.

Lazerbrains 07-31-2018 09:52 AM

That is a good idea - how do you attach the scraper to the pole, though?

PhilCarlson 07-31-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadio917 (Post 2051542282)
... a simple DC compressor and hose?

You'll want a diving compressor. Standard compressors put stuff in the air that you don't want to breathe.

PhilCarlson 07-31-2018 10:46 AM

You could also look at, www.minidive.com, or SCORKL. DO NOT use these deeper than 10-15 feet unless you are scuba trained and understand the physics.

capta 07-31-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegisteredUser (Post 2051542290)
I bought a HookaMax for that same purpose. 75' hose.

Ive not yet used it....hoping to scrape as needed before the hull becomes a real problem/project.

That sounds like an incredibly dangerous setup. There is a very good reason that noncommercial hookas do not use hoses longer than 30 feet. Unless you are a certified diver I would recommend that you do not use that 75' setup until you have your diving certification. But hey, it is your life!

BarryL 07-31-2018 11:13 AM

Hey,

A friend and I split the cost of a Hoohak and we will share it. I have used it once and I think it will work very very well.

I used to just use a mask and snorkel, but that was getting tough to do. With the hookah I can do a much better job of cleaning the bottom of the 6' keel. The setup we bought has 100' of hose. It seems long, but with a 36' boat I don't need to worry about running out of hose. I'm never down more than 6-8', the hose is to be able to comfortably reach the bow and stern. My hookah has a small tank and DC compressor. I connect it to the boat battery and it easily lasts an hour, which is more than I need.

Barry

capta 07-31-2018 11:14 AM

We use the Sea Breathe deck snorkel. I think it is the most expensive 12 volt DC hooka rig on the market, but when my life is on the line, I'm not one to go the cheap route.
It has quality fittings and is extremely well made. Ours is around 8 years old and operates like new. We use it frequently to clean the bottom after the antifouling fails to antifoul anymore.
Breathing air underwater is one of the most dangerous things a human being can do. The slightest contamination of that air or a few air or nitrogen bubbles in your blood can do an amazing amount of damage to your body, and if not fatal, it can be a lifelong infirmity.