Centerboard control damage on a Tartan 37 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 07-31-2018 Thread Starter

Question Centerboard control damage on a Tartan 37

Anyone familiar with the mechanism for the centerboard on a Tartan 37?

The pictures are of the plate where the mast sits on the keel. The smaller plate and tube are for the line to raise the centerboard. I was just cleaning around it and noticed that one of the screws was loose. When I went to tighten it, it turns out the hole is stripped. After closer investigation it seems like the sealant around the fixture is dried and falling apart.

I didn't have any trouble with leaks around this area last summer when I sailed this boat. I'm trying to understand how it all connects and what action is necessary?

Can I just clean out the old sealant and replace with new 5200 and put the 3 screws that still bite back in? Do I need to figure out how to remove the plate and have the stripped hole repaired? I'm not even sure why there's sealant around this point, as I'm fairly certain this isn't a joint that _can_ leak.
Attached Thumbnails
20180731_141139.jpg   20180731_141129.jpg   20180731_141121.jpg   20180731_141115.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-31-2018
One of None

Re: Centerboard control damage on a Tartan 37

The flange probably would do well with a good gasket, not 5200 which is too permanent for this lifetime. Lol

I can't tell, are we looking at fiberglass or metal underneath the mast step?

Is the boat in the water? Guessing no.

Also, all the weight is on a down ward Force so the bolts probably don't have /need allot of tensile strength.

I must say, that is an interesting set up to put the keel line and tube inside the mast!

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in