Beneteau seacock and thru-hull response - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 08-02-2018

Re: Beneteau seacock and thru-hull response

If I remember it right: CE standards requests thru hulls to last at least 5 years, which means replacement after that time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 08-02-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
If I remember it right: CE standards requests thru hulls to last at least 5 years, which means replacement after that time.
I canít say if thatís true, but I do recall that is Beneteauís recommendation. IF itís true, it goes to show the CE is a manufacturing standard, not a safety standard. All the EU countries came together to agree on the minimums, so one wouldnít undercut the other.

While our boat has more holes than Swiss cheese (a fact that is also not Swan-like, but Iím fine with), Iím trying to mentally calcukate the additional cost to provide proper thru hull equip. Labor would be the same. I can also live with adhesive against a proper flange, as opposed to the hard core backing plate and through bolted. Maybe another grand in parts on our boat? Iím the second owner (bought when she was 4 yrs old), but have the POís invoice. Fully fitted he paid roughly $800k, in 2004. I canít imagine another grand was a factor.

Beneteau Group (J and B) does a great job of providing bang for your buck. But there is a fine line between value engineering and cutting corners. They stepped over the line with this one.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 18 Old 08-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I canít say if thatís true, but I do recall that is Beneteauís recommendation. IF itís true, it goes to show the CE is a manufacturing standard, not a safety standard. All the EU countries came together to agree on the minimums, so one wouldnít undercut the other.
I don't remember the details but I believe Jeff_H explained that this is the case very clearly some time ago.

Quote:
While our boat has more holes than Swiss cheese (a fact that is also not Swan-like, but Iím fine with), Iím trying to mentally calcukate the additional cost to provide proper thru hull equip. Labor would be the same. I can also live with adhesive against a proper flange, as opposed to the hard core backing plate and through bolted.
I would not call it 'hard core' to expect a backing plate and sea c*cks through-bolted. This is a safety critical measure.

Quote:
Maybe another grand in parts on our boat? Iím the second owner (bought when she was 4 yrs old), but have the POís invoice. Fully fitted he paid roughly $800k, in 2004. I canít imagine another grand was a factor.
And now calculate the additional cost for YOU, the owner, of having all sea-c*cks replaced every 5 years.

Since you have the boat now for 14 years, you surely have replaced all of them twice already, right? And you are ready to do it again next year, right again?

Quote:

Beneteau Group (J and B) does a great job of providing bang for your buck. But there is a fine line between value engineering and cutting corners. They stepped over the line with this one.

post #14 of 18 Old 08-02-2018
bell ringer

You people are complaining about the wrong people. Beneteau is a business and a abusinesses job is to make a profit. If it takes putting cheap through hulls/valves in their boats to do that the only ones really at fault are buyers who are just getting what they were willing to pay for!

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 18 Old 08-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
You people are complaining about the wrong people. Beneteau is a business and a abusinesses job is to make a profit. If it takes putting cheap through hulls/valves in their boats to do that the only ones really at fault are buyers who are just getting what they were willing to pay for!
Stockholders may not be looking 10-20 years forward...but they should be paying people who are.
I have no idea if this is truly a serious long term concern or not.
Reputation and brand is huge
post #16 of 18 Old 08-02-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
I have no idea if this is truly a serious long term concern or not.
Reputation and brand is huge
Iím pretty sure they stopped using them. That may say something.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #17 of 18 Old 08-02-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Since you have the boat now for 14 years, you surely have replaced all of them twice already, right? And you are ready to do it again next year, right again?
Can you imagine the level of insanity necessary to go through the effort of replacing them and using the same crap? Mine are being replaced, a couple at a time, with Groco and Perko products, which will outlive me.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #18 of 18 Old 08-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Really? You expect the average boat buyer to check material and equipment specs on a new boat? This is just shoddy engineering. There are ways to build a boat to a price point. Putting unsuitable equipment that is safety related is not one.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
post #19 of 18 Old 08-03-2018 Thread Starter

There are two things a boat must do, or her Captain must insure: she doesnít catch fire and she doesnít allow water on the inside. Everything else that may go wrong is just inconvenient.

In just about every other industry, these would be deemed unsafe and subjected to mandatory recall, even though most work. I got all brand new fire extinguishers for that reason. Tried the old one for giggles, it worked fine.
olson34 and MastUndSchotbruch like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in