Beneteau seacock and thru-hull response - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-31-2018 Thread Starter

Beneteau seacock and thru-hull response

Did anyone else see Practical Sailors posting of the Beneteau Groups reply to questions related to the quality of their thru-hull installations. Perhaps there is a thread on this already, but Iím out cruising and have limited access to the internet. They essentially claim they are in full compliance with CE standards and they are only aware of a limited number of failures. Goodness, Iím aware of 2 and Iím not looking. One was a Jeanneau 54DS that took water up to the floorboards, at her slip. They also claim one should have a professional inspect their thru hulls annually. Iíve been replacing mine, a few each year.

If anything, this is a damnation of the CE standards as anything but a European level set manufacturing standard among competing countries. It has nothing to do with proper safety.

Their thru-hulls suck, everyone knows it, and they give it a shoulder shrug. They and CE are a joke on this one.
olson34 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-31-2018

Dock
Re: Beneteau seacock and thru-hull response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Their thru-hulls suck, everyone knows it, .
I don't know it. Mine are fine.

If you want a Swan go buy a Swan.

My price-point happy boat is a Beneteau. They are fine.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 18 Old 07-31-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Did anyone else see Practical Sailors posting of the Beneteau Groups reply to questions related to the quality of their thru-hull installations.
https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...n_12438-1.html

post #4 of 18 Old 07-31-2018

While all boats, even the higher end ones, are made up of cost/benefit compromises, what Beneteau did was darned near criminal. The UK boating mags were all over them about it and from what I read the builder just shrugged it off. Why people keep buying their boats is a mystery to me.

This may say more about the present uneducated customer base than it does about just one builder. People do not know what they need to know and as long the first owner gets a few years of fun before he unloads the remainder of the bank loan and before all the fancy instruments stop working, all the cut-rate construction problems fall on the subsequent owners at ten, fifteen, or more years down the road.

At times like this I am thankful to own a boat that was spec'd out with top quality parts in the 80's... I do replace stuff that wears out, but at least it was of true marine quality when built.

(Heavy Sigh......)

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon
post #5 of 18 Old 07-31-2018
Master Mariner

I owned and cruised a 65' gaff ketch built in 1909 in Taunton, Mass for 5.5 years through the SoPac. When that boat was built the yards would keep their employees employed through the winters by building yachts on spec. This was a marvelous Wm. Hand designed vessel with a bronze seahorse figurehead and a triad of bronze seahorses holding up a binnacle that reputedly came off a square rigger wrecked nearby while she was being built.
I never gave any thought about her thru-hulls, chain plates or fastenings failing, mostly spending my time maintaining the wood (wooded her hull twice in the 5 years I owned her). Seacocks and the like got their annual attention, but it never occurred to me that they could actually fail. Even at 65 years old they were in great condition.
Leaving Hawaii for Tahiti, we encountered a storm which many years later we found out was probably the remnants of a hurricane from central America, but at the time it was just 5 days of gale force winds. She did just fine, opening up a few seams which was normal for an old wooden boat at that time. A few lead strips and underwater seam compound tacked over the seams solved that problem until the haul out in Tahiti some months later. No broken fastenings, chainplate or rigging failures.
Then, at 65 years old, she went through a tropical cyclone off Fiji. In winds over 100 knots, she was capsized three times, filled with water three times and yet that old girl held together and really, she got us through that storm with only a bit of help from us. Even though there was plenty of damage, there were no broken fastenings, chainplates or rigging failures.
Of course, there was no internet back then, and no discussion groups about this manufacturer or that. It seemed all boat manufacturers cared whether those sailing their boats lived or died. Boats were built with care and love, not to make some fat cats even richer.
My point being is that it is a sad state of affairs in the boating industry when profits trump the safety of those who will sail the boats. Things like thru-hulls and chainplates shouldn't need to be a worry for an owner of a 20, 30 or even 40-year-old boat. That is just inferior materials or poor workmanship, IMO. And yet most of us accept this as the way it is.
What's wrong with everybody involved making a good living building really good boats? Nobody getting rich, just making a good living. Boats designed and built to safely take their owners, worry free with good maintenance, wherever these sailors wished to go for 50 or 70 years or more? Wouldn't that be a marvelous legacy? Wouldn't that be enough? Apparently not.
olson34 and JimsCAL like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 07-31-2018 at 10:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to capta For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (08-01-2018)
post #6 of 18 Old 08-01-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

It is worth noting that the Tyree's letter to PS says they replaced the original thruhulls with ALL BRASS replacements.
And here I thought that brass was mainly copper and that devil zinc metal, and unfit for use on boats except perhaps in the ship's bell and blazer buttons.

And then there's the mention of silicone bronze. Bronze and brass in fact overlap in alloy contents, there's no universally accepted dividing line. Some years ago I tried calling just about every name brand to find out what their thruhulls were, and unless I'm mistaken Groco (one of the "acceptable" ones pictured by PS) was one of the makers who would only say "a proprietary alloy" without comment as to whether that was brass or bronze.

All that fun put me in the Marelon, gen-you-whine Marelon brand, not generic black fiber reinforced plastics, camp.

I'm not sure why CE regulations should matter to Beneteau when it comes to yachts built in US plants. In the US, CE regulations are totally non-binding, no? Drill a hole in the corner of the CE rulebook, and you could hang it along with the past year's Sears catalogue and use it in the out house. Good stuff--but of no practical use here.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-01-2018

https://www.michel-christen.com/2T-H.pdf
post #8 of 18 Old 08-01-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Interesting PDF.

But in the case of a boat, where the thruhulls are already installed and there will be no packaging to read, and rarely a UL-mark legible on the fittings, is there any way (an acid test? A dye test?) to actually check each fitting to see whether the zinc demon lurks inside?
post #9 of 18 Old 08-01-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

Itís not a dig on the entire hull or Beneteau Group line. Beneís and Jeneís are fine boats, with crappy thru hulls. It does not and should not require buying a Swan. While Iím sure the majority of owners either replace them in time or luck out, there is no denying the installation was just a money saving tactic of the Beneteau Group.

First, they tell you the OEM thruhulls have a 5 year useful life and should be inspected by a professionala annually. Second, the male thread type on the thru hull is not the same at the female thread type (NPT vs NPS). You can force them together, which they obviously do. How old are yours?

Beneteau Group blew it. Think they moved on to Marelon for later models years.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

And what model year is your boat?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in