Mainsheet help: C&C 24 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-01-2018 Thread Starter

Mainsheet help: C&C 24

Hi all.

After a few boatless years Iíve purchased a 1980 C&C 24 for short cruises around the islands, mostly singlehanded, occasionally with my wife. For a small boat, it has some great cruising enhancements, like a hard dodger (Tartarooga, great quality) and cabin heater. So far Iím really enjoying it.

But my shins are tired of being scraped raw by the mid-cockpit traveller. Iím purely a cruiser, and a lazy sail trimmer, and Iíd gladly give up a bit of boat speed and efficiency to open up the cockpit. The original location for the main sheet was a padeye in the cockpit sole, right under the current traveller. That would certainly be the simplest option, and would help some; even more, at anchor, if I could somehow rig the sheet on a quick-release. I suppose Iíd still be stubbing toes, unless I used a folding padeye.

A second option is to rig boom-end sheets to the quarters. Iíve had this before on a Crown 23, and it was okay; the boomís shorter on this boat, so the sheets would encroach on the cockpit a bit more, especially off the wind; also a high stern rail might be an issue. Sheets would be nicely out of the way at anchor, though.

An off-the-wall idea is to use the dodger framework and mount the sheets (maybe twin sheets?) near the top aft corners. These dodgers have been used that way on much larger boats, but thereís not much clearance between the dodger and boom so Iím not sure itís feasible. Iíd consult with the dodger maker before I tried it, but the forces are relatively light, and the dodger is very solid.

Any thoughts are appreciated, and specifically if you know of a way to have a padeye mount, with a spring or standup of some kind, thatís easily removed at anchor let me know!

Many thanks... Perry.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0173.jpeg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-01-2018
Above 5 knots

Dock
Re: Mainsheet help: C&C 24

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index...c-22-c-250.cfm
Barney post highly recommended... although that'd be another thing to trip over.

Frankly that traveler looks perfect.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #3 of 13 Old 08-01-2018

This shouldn't be to hard to rig up , you could use the attachment points on the split backstay for a start .
https://www.google.com/search?q=end+...RcIKGsfR_Dc0M:

Westsail 28 , Patricia A

post #4 of 13 Old 08-01-2018 Thread Starter

SailingUphill, the barney post idea is a great one if I leave the sheet in the cockpit. Hadn't seen anything like that. Hmm... maybe I could engineer a base so the whole thing is removable at anchor...

Markwesti, that's the setup I'm likely to try first, as I have everything I need aboard. Just not sure how well the sheet will work with the rails aft.

Thanks folks; keep the ideas coming!
post #5 of 13 Old 08-01-2018
al brazzi

A vang will give almost and maybe better control of the boom, if you don't have one now. Put a removable clip on the mainsheet and clip it out of the cockpit at anchor. I pull my boom over with a removable preventer line to get the boom out of the way when not sailing. My mainsheet Traveller is exactly where yours is but with a bridgedeck I have to climb over anyway.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
Yep.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

Last edited by JimsCAL; 08-01-2018 at 07:54 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-02-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingUphill View Post
Yep.
I knew I'd get flak over removing the traveller. Obviously it's better for mainsail shape control. But trust me, it may look like lots of room, but this is a 24í boat, and stepping over that track whle ducking under the dodger, down into the short space aft of the companionway sill, gets old fast... as do I. I'm still pretty limber, but that's more contorting than I really enjoy, and my shins are showing the scars of the occasional misjudged step.

I'm afraid I just care more about being comfortable aboard and moving about my boat freely than achieving perfect efficiency and top boat speed. There is a good vang to help with sail shape. The relative size of the main on this boat, compared to, e.g., my old Alberg 37, makes me think the real-world losses by dispensing with the traveller will be minimal.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one. I'm fine with that.

Thanks again... Perry.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-02-2018
One of None

Flak? It's your boat! Doesn't matter what you do, it only matters to you, nobody else, you don't need anybody's permission, although it would help if you knew something about rigging and handling

Loose the dodger. What you're feeling is the pain of having a smaller boat because you once had a larger boat it's even more "painful" and unlikely you'll ever stop tripping over the traveler

Your problem really is the Dodger, it's nice but on a tiller boat, it doesn't really keep the sun away very much.

A Bimini top is better because it would clear the main sheet coming up off the traveler. Whoever made the dodger should be getting the flak lol

The only time I ever used the Dodger on my boat was when it was cold out and when wind was driving into our face which was almost never, so I took it off.

A properly made Bimini top will keep the sun off you and yours. The drawback on a smaller boat like yours, you may not be able to stand up, but it looks like the boom is already too low for that anyhow. The bim will need thru holes for the back stay which are easy to do, I had them on my boat.

It's pretty much as the only option other than where it's at now,. putting it on top of the cabin is just as bad, instead of as tripping you have to duck under.

Go with the end boom sheeting/ Crosby rig, if you have problems with the boom lifting while under way you may need a boom Vang.

Homework assignment; learn about rigging,

Keywords to look up Crosby rig, end boom sheeting, boom Vang.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 08-02-2018 at 08:59 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-02-2018
Above 5 knots

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by idearat View Post
I knew I'd get flak over removing the traveller. Obviously it's better for mainsail shape control. But trust me, it may look like lots of room, but this is a 24í boat, and stepping over that track whle ducking under the dodger, down into the short space aft of the companionway sill, gets old fast... as do I. I'm still pretty limber, but that's more contorting than I really enjoy, and my shins are showing the scars of the occasional misjudged step.
Um, owner of a 24 foot sailboat, and if you took my cockpit traveler away I think I'd be hunting you down

You may likely be missing the point, a dodger on a 24 foot boat might be part of your problem, not the traveler. But hey, its YOUR boat.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #10 of 13 Old 08-02-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts, folks.

Denise, Iíve had end boom sheeting of different types on a couple of prior boats, and Iím aware of the Crosby rig for dinghys, though not by that name, and I confess I donít have a clear picture yet on how the bridle functions as a traveller. Iíll do more research. Also, as I mentioned, I do have a good boom vang. I may not be quite as ignorant of the options as I seemed, but thereís always more to learn.

The Ďflakí comment was meant light-heartedly; perhaps I should have added a smiley. Obviously Iím not here looking for permission or approval for my choices. Iím here to learn (homework) from the collective knowledge and experience on the site, and I appreciate your input.

As for the dodger, itís non-negotiable. Here in the PNW, where we can sail year Ďround, itís cold wind and rain thatís the problem, not the sun, especially in the uncrowded off-season when I prefer to sail. Very few bother with biminis, at least on smaller boats, but dodgers are ubiquitous, and the main reason I chose this boat over others.

SU, please donít hunt me down... I have no desire to take your traveller away, or define ďthe pointĒ of sailing for you. For me, the point is to get out cruising, have a fun and relaxing sail, and enjoy some of the most beautiful anchorages anywhere. Iím fully aware that a 24-foot boat involves compromises, and that different sailors will make different choices. I donít expect everyone to understand or agree with mine, and hearing different perspectives is also part of the learning process.

Cheers... Perry.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in