The 7 Myths of Polyurethane - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 08-21-2018

Re: The 7 Myths of Polyurethane

Foam may give you more bubbles but you can decrease this with a bit of solvent. Foam is a viable alternative for jobs big or small. Other advantage of foam beyond no lost bristles is as soon as thereís any imperfection, dust or dirt in/on it you just throw it any.
Wet your brush throughly, spin, repeat, change solvent repeat-done. Trick is to take metal can with tight lid, cut hole in center of lid, insert brush handle and secure so bristles just donít reach bottom of can. Fill can halfway with solvent,put in brush, wrap whole thing with Saran Wrap. Put in basement (donít want voc in my frig). Good for days to weeks.
I continue to like Epiphanes. Canít beat beetle backs. Big issue with poly is a sudden turning point when it skins. You can only work it briefly. Once it skins leave it be. Thinning isnít much help. If you donít you will ruin your job and need to start from scratch. None of the waterbased coatings hold up. Waste of time.
capta and Totuma like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 08-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Breeze View Post
Any advice that ends with the phrase "Buy it in our store." becomes suspect to me.
"Bob is the author of ďFlexner on Finishing.Ē Buy it in our store and get all the best finishing tips for your projects!"

So of course you didn't read the article and just looked for some key phrase to trigger you? Not sure why i didn't put this guy on my ignore list earlier.

Good article, interesting information, thanks for sharing.
capta likes this.
post #13 of 26 Old 08-21-2018

I have done a lot with Schooner but I have to admit I definitely prefer Epiphanes. It seems more translucent. I just did my tiller from a can I put up a long time ago and it just glows! BTW, The trick I use to preserve varnish is to get the oxygen out. I purge the can with nitrogen and cap it immediately.

post #14 of 26 Old 08-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Mountain Breeze View Post
My Grandfather always kept a metal can, soup, #10, or whatever was appropriate, filled with the appropriate solvent for his brushes overnight. If you are worried about the pollution of pouring the solvent out save it for starting a campfire. If you don't camp then you probably can't use this advice......
Or use as a weed killer
post #15 of 26 Old 08-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidty View Post
"Bob is the author of “Flexner on Finishing.” Buy it in our store and get all the best finishing tips for your projects!"

So of course you didn't read the article and just looked for some key phrase to trigger you? Not sure why i didn't put this guy on my ignore list earlier.

Good article, interesting information, thanks for sharing.
Yes, Rocky Mountain Breeze's comment is completely ridiculous. That was a good, informative article by Bob Flexner. Flexner's article did not mention his book; that was added by the Popular Woodworking editor.

I own Flexner's Understanding Wood Finishing. It is outstanding.
capta likes this.
post #16 of 26 Old 08-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
.... Canít beat beetle backs....
Am I deciphering this somewhat cryptic remark correctly as you using shellac for a marine finish? If yes, can you tell use more? I think it is a great product but have only used it for indoor purposes so far.
post #17 of 26 Old 08-21-2018

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. I've always favored polyurethane over varnish, thinking that it was easier to apply. But last year I had to refinish parts of my tiller; I knew it was finished with high quality varnish, so I bought and used varnish for the first time in many years. I didn't want to mix poly with varnish. Lo and behold, I found the varnish just as easy to work with as polyurethane. Now I know why.
post #18 of 26 Old 08-21-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
I have done a lot with Schooner but I have to admit I definitely prefer Epiphanes. It seems more translucent. I just did my tiller from a can I put up a long time ago and it just glows! BTW, The trick I use to preserve varnish is to get the oxygen out. I purge the can with nitrogen and cap it immediately.
I also use Epifanes, after several decades of trying to look for an easier solution. I also use foam brushes and relegated the badger brush to the back shelf. To preserve the Epifanes, I now use StopLoss bags (www.stoplossbags.com), which I discovered at the Wooden Boat Show last year. The folks in the Epifanes booth recommended them, although they donít market them. They really work by eliminating air in the varnish I stored a year ago. No more lumps and jelly.
tschmidty likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to fallard For This Useful Post:
bletso (08-22-2018)
post #19 of 26 Old 08-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totuma View Post
Then i came across a blog espousing the benefits of foam brushes, which I had always thought were a sin. That is *until I tried one*. I hate throw-away culture. But for a small job, or a touch-up, a small 1" brush worth $.79 makes a lot of sense.
I'll go one step further. The cheap Home Depot foam brushes are OK for small work but the solvents start to break them down and you can get bits of foam in the varnish when you're doing bigger jobs.

Good quality foam brushes from a woodworking store give you a MUCH better finish and will hold up for the whole job without falling apart. And at $5 for a 10 pack they're actually cheaper than the low quality ones at Home Depot !

https://www.woodcraft.com/search?q=f...&button=search

Currently Boatless

ďThe sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #20 of 26 Old 08-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post

Good quality foam brushes from a woodworking store give you a MUCH better finish and will hold up for the whole job without falling apart.
I thought that HATED foam brushes until I bought some from the Benjamin Moore Paint store. I like the BM foam brushes so much and they hold up so well that I actually clean them so that I can reuse them!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in