Valiant 32 keel construction and bolts - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 Old 08-31-2018
One of None

Re: Valiant 32 keel joint questions

first try to realize, " drop the keel" doesn't it mean take the keel off the boat and go away with it.it means lowering the keel so the bolts can be inspected. and lowering completely if the bolts have to be replaced, this can be done in a seesaw manner so it's never completely detached from the keel stub, lower one end, inspect raise it leave it Loose lower the other end inspect raise it if the bolts are still good.

if that plan can't be done because the bolts may twist and break the fiberglass in the shoe, you could build a corral for the keel to keep it from tilting sideways, or drill and tap or weld slightly smaller bolt rod to the tops of the Keel boats, use nuts and angle iron or Channel across the stringers with the bolt rod going up and down through it, this would be slow but would be controlled way of lifting and dropping the slug. (Keel) I like this method because it still keeps the weight of the Keel on the bottom of the boat unless it has to be completely removed

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 09-02-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Valiant 32 keel construction and bolts

@overbored This seems like an interesting company and they seem to do a hell of a job. Only problem is that they do require that the keel be dropped, and I still haven't found enough evidence (other than the age of the boat) to suggest that such a large job is necessary.

@Guyfromthenorth It was a mud bottom so I guess no big harm done there. Thanks for the tips. Replacing these nuts might be a good temporary solution. I will measure the bolt diameter and try to figure out the torque spec.

A friend of mine who is a surveyor has a machine that uses ultrasound to determine the integrity of the bolts, but he'd have to be sure whether these a J-bolts or something else (it seems they are but I'm still trying to get confirmation)

@deniseO30 Thanks for the tips on keel dropping. If I go that route I'll make sure to follow them.

If anyone has info on the exact construction of the Valiant 32 keel and its bolts, please holler.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-02-2018

Re: Valiant 32 keel construction and bolts

If you want to know any thing about the design why not contact the designer Robert H. Perry Yacht Designers, Inc.. Bob does post on this forum.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in