Any Advice on How to Add Roller Furling to a C22? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-07-2018 Thread Starter

Any Advice on How to Add Roller Furling to a C22?

Hello!

My sailing partner and I are starting to seriously consider adding a roller furling headsail to our Chrysler 22. I am here to do some initial fact-finding. Is there anyone out there who has put a roller furler on a boat of similar size that would be willing to share anything we might need to know to make it happen? Also, we trailer the boat all over the place and count on it being easy to rig and de-rig. A quick release on our forestay is a big help with that. Is that a luxury we will have to forgo with the addition of a roller furler?

Thanks!
Tom

Be humble for you are made of earth.
Be noble for you are made of stars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-07-2018

Re: Any Advice on How to Add Roller Furling to a C22?

what you need is a flexible furler so it is easy to stow when trailering. Snap furl by Schaefrer, CDI , Harker makes forestay furlers where you use the same sail and hardware just need a slightly shorter forestay to make room for the drum

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #3 of 12 Old 09-07-2018

I had a C22 as my first boat and looked into a roller furling. It was going to cost me more than I paid for the boat and trailer to install roller furling when adding a new sail for it.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-07-2018

The smaller Harken furlers are made to set a jib flying (ie, not attached to the forestay), which is typically not ideal . Both the Scheafer and CDI are much cheaper and will fit over your existing forestay. The scheafer fits anywhere, the CDI requires your headstay to end in a straight fitting like you would use for a turnbuckle.

I haven't seen the Schaefer but a lot of trailer sailor's use the CDI. The extrusion is flexible so safe on a trailer sailor although you should still rig some type of support to hold the part that extends past the mast when trailering, some pvc pipe will do the trick.You can typically pretty easily modify your existing genoa with luff tape, but ideally you would want a new sail and you can get away with a bit larger sail. My main genoa is only a 110 and I would probably go with something like a 150 for a roller.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-07-2018

I put a CDI roller furler on my Oday 23 about 15 years ago. It is the single best upgrade I have ever made. I never thought that hanking on my jib was a big deal, but once you've had roller furling, you will never want to go back to hank on sails (unless you are a serious racer). It's just soooooo much easier.

You don't necessarily need a new forestay when adding a furler; if your existing forestay can be adjusted enough with the turnbuckle (adjusting it to be shorter), then there is no need to have a new one made. I didn't need a new forestay. Installation of the CDI unit is easy if the mast is down. The biggest pain is unrolling the flexible foil and getting it flat.

In order to save money, I had my existing sail modified to fit in the furler. It was quite some time ago, but I think the furler and sail mods together cost a shade over $1000.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidty View Post
The smaller Harken furlers are made to set a jib flying (ie, not attached to the forestay), which is typically not ideal . Both the Scheafer and CDI are much cheaper and will fit over your existing forestay. The scheafer fits anywhere, the CDI requires your headstay to end in a straight fitting like you would use for a turnbuckle.

I haven't seen the Schaefer but a lot of trailer sailor's use the CDI. The extrusion is flexible so safe on a trailer sailor although you should still rig some type of support to hold the part that extends past the mast when trailering, some pvc pipe will do the trick.You can typically pretty easily modify your existing genoa with luff tape, but ideally you would want a new sail and you can get away with a bit larger sail. My main genoa is only a 110 and I would probably go with something like a 150 for a roller.
The harken small boat furler is made to furl a jib that has hanks or a zipper luff. no need to change the sail to luff tape. with the optional hoist able swivel it can be used on a hank on sail. They make one for up to 6 mm wire. I had on on our last prindle 19

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #7 of 12 Old 09-08-2018 Thread Starter

Great! Thanks everyone. I think this is getting me pointed in the right direction.

Tom

Be humble for you are made of earth.
Be noble for you are made of stars.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-08-2018
Sailnet Vendor

Dock

There are two main types of furlers for small boats. Some furl the sail. Others furl and reef the sail.

The Harken small boat furler #436 is for furling, not reefing. The sail is either all the way out or all the way in.
A Furlex 40S will do the same job equally well.

The Schaefer Snapfurl CF-500 or CDI FF2 would allow you to reef the headsail by rolling it up part way. as well as furl it completely. You will need to modify your old sail to use a reefing furler.

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran
post #9 of 12 Old 09-08-2018

Depending on why you want roller furling, it might be cheaper and simpler to add a downhaul and reef point to your current jib. A jib with a tight sheet and down haul is pretty well contained and will go up pretty quick, provided the halyard is led to somewhere you can reach it from.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-08-2018
Sailnet Vendor

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Bird View Post
Hello!

My sailing partner and I are starting to seriously consider adding a roller furling headsail to our Chrysler 22. I am here to do some initial fact-finding. Is there anyone out there who has put a roller furler on a boat of similar size that would be willing to share anything we might need to know to make it happen? Also, we trailer the boat all over the place and count on it being easy to rig and de-rig. A quick release on our forestay is a big help with that. Is that a luxury we will have to forgo with the addition of a roller furler?

Thanks!
Tom
Sorry, I forgot your question by the time I had read all the other replies.

Yes, you will probably have to remove the quick release to fit a reefing furler.

A Harken 465 or furlex 40S can accomodate a quick release lever on the forestay. if you want to eliminate the need to bend on the headsail before you go sailing.

Judy

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in