Is the boat yard screwing you? stories - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 68 Old 09-09-2018
The most female moderator

Dock
Re: Is the boat yard screwing you? stories

I edited the specific business names. I want to discuss this thread with the other moderators. While I see the benefit of discussing problems we've had with boatyards, we do have a rule about bashing specific businesses when they have no opportunity to respond to the allegations. Also, the title of the thread implies that it was created for anyone to tell their stories. If that's the case, I sort of think an in-line discussion with multiple stories might get confusing?

Happy rainy Sunday if you're in the US Mid-Atlantic.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 68 Old 09-09-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I have to agree with Donna here. There is no positive that can come from outing a particular business with out allowing them to present their side of the story. Things are rarely black and white.

I have to take issue with you painting all marinas workyards with a negative brush. Extrapolating from your personal bad experience ( to which you donít even have all the facts I seems) to all working marine departments is irresponsible is My humble opinion. To encourage a ***** session of marine workers is like feeding red meat to a lion. I also have an issue with you attacking previous work done before you by going after the worker and totally absolving the owner of any responsibility here. I donít care how old or nice he is, it is incredulous to beleive he knew nothing about the appendage or repair.

We all have had bad work done on our boats I would bet. We have all probably learned how to do many projects from boatyards also. Therefore we have had good experiences also. You should try and practice do diligence when selecting someone to do the work. Check references...etc. if you leave simple projects , maintainence to a yard a forgo learning how to do it yourself, understand most good yards use lower qualified persons to perform mai tainence items. I have a personal marine mechanic I have used through the years. He has his own Sailboat too. I trust him. It took a few years to find him. I agree with SanderO , if you have work done.....be there. Even to learn also. If you choose to just trust blindly youíll get s rowed sometimes, plus you wonít increase your knowledge either.

I read here sometimes shaking my head as I see people throw their money at a boatyard to fix issues for them, but fail to research the issue themselves and be an ACTIVE participant in the repair. Another issue these type of people have is when they break down or the part breaks. They have NO clue how to fix it. They just try and call someone.....or get towed. Iíve seen this happen with something as simple as a radiator belt, or shore power charger. Most cruisers on here Don10 or Aj know how to track down a fix their own problems I bet. Not becUse they are cheap...but because there isnít someone always around.

My rant is over😂😂😂😂😝
jblumhorst likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
post #23 of 68 Old 09-09-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I have a personal marine mechanic I have used through the years. He has his own Sailboat too. I trust him. It took a few years to find him. I agree with SanderO , if you have work done.....be there. Even to learn also. If you choose to just trust blindly youíll get s rowed sometimes, plus you wonít increase your knowledge either.
The rest of us (who don't have time, or don't have a good mechanic, or are just lowly scum that don't want to learn something) can complain about their woes here .

This isn't a thread about a specific named boat yard, or about all boat yards. If anyone makes such claims I would expect they should be moderated on an individual basis...

post #24 of 68 Old 09-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
...I agree with SanderO , if you have work done.....be there. Even to learn also.....

...I read here sometimes shaking my head as I see people throw their money at a boatyard to fix issues for them, but fail to research the issue themselves and be an ACTIVE participant in the repair. Another issue these type of people have is when they break down or the part breaks. They have NO clue how to fix it. They just try and call someone.....or get towed. I’ve seen this happen with something as simple as a radiator belt, or shore power charger......

My rant is over😂😂😂😂😝
It's basic Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance philosophy. (good book). A good rule to follow is: If you choose not to learn much about how your boat works, don't sail farther than you're able to swim back to shore.
SanderO and chef2sail like this.
post #25 of 68 Old 09-09-2018
The most female moderator

Dock

Still (sigh) can't reply to PMs so thank you for pointing out that I missed a spot in my edit.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #26 of 68 Old 09-09-2018

I don't think it's reasonable to expect every one to have the time and skills to fix every problem on their boat.

Of course full time live aboard have the time to fix every problem themselves, that's because they are all retired. They have all the time in the world to putter around on issues with their boats.

I do all my own work now, I have even bought a heavy duty sowing machine to make my own sails. That hasn't always been the case though. There was a time in my 30's when I often worked 80-90 hours a week. I definitely hired mechanics to do a lot of work for me then, even paid for simple jobs like oil changes and shrink wrapping.

Saying people should get burned by shady business practices because they don't have time to rebuild their own engine or sails doesn't make much sense to me. Sometimes we need to hire boat yards to do work for us.
post #27 of 68 Old 09-09-2018

It is ridiculous to expect every boat owner to fix everything on his boat himself . I sail with several boat owners that should never be allowed to fix anything. I also know several boat repair people that should never be allowed to fix anything either.
The boat yard has a tough job. they are working for some of the fussiest people, that have money but don't want to let go of it for something that is only used a few days a year. When ever I use the yard to do anything I make sure they understand what they need to do and what I expect them to do and not to do. mostly use them to do the heavy lifting stuff, like polish the hull paint the bottom so while they do that I can work on the more technical problems that need to be done with the boat out of the water.
The yard has to work with people that charge $250 per hour and call them selves experts even when even they admit that they are only practicing law or medicine and expect that they will do a good job working on there pride and joy for $75 per hour. maybe the yard should just advertise they are practicing boat repair and they could charge the $250 per hour for their services as the other so called experts do.
I hear owners complaining about how much they got over charged at the yard, for how little they did and how simple it is to do. I ask them why did you pay them to do that simple task, why did you not just do it yourself? I ask them if they had to do that so called simple task what would they charge? They usually then admit that they would not do that dirty pain in the ass job for twice the amount that they go charged.
jblumhorst and troy2000 like this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #28 of 68 Old 09-09-2018
Sailnet Vendor

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by driggers View Post
The rest of us (who don't have time, or don't have a good mechanic, or are just lowly scum that don't want to learn something) can complain about their woes here .

This isn't a thread about a specific named boat yard, or about all boat yards. If anyone makes such claims I would expect they should be moderated on an individual basis...
IMO the title of this thread is offensive: "Is your boatyard screwing you?"

The thread starter wasn't "screwed by a boat yard."

The "woes" of the thread-starter are a consequence of buying a really old boat without hiring a surveyor. He bought a boat that had problems. That's an expensive way to learn a lesson and, for that, I feel sorry for his woes. But he would have gotten a lot more sympathy and tea from me if hadn't been so quick to blame somebody who probably was blameless.

Where would we be without boatyards? Even those of us who do a lot of our own work rely on them.

Can we re-title the thread "Thank Goodness for Boatyards?"

Judy

PS. To be patently direct and open about it: I work in the marine trades (not a boat yard though). I have collaborated with many fine boatyard owners and riggers across the USA. They do a tremendous service to the boating community.

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran

Last edited by jblumhorst; 09-09-2018 at 03:10 PM.
post #29 of 68 Old 09-09-2018
Sailnet Vendor

Dock
Thank goodness for boatyards! :wink

There! I renamed the thread.

Judy B
San Francisco Bay and Delta
F24 Trimaran
post #30 of 68 Old 09-09-2018
Catalina 400 MKII

I''ve spent a lot of money at boat yards over the years. I've had a few issues, but overall, they have been really positive experiences. Yes, things can get expensive, but I've never felt ripped off. Yes, some issues can become complicated, but that's what boats do. The best results are when I am closely involved in the process.
jblumhorst and chef2sail like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in